Original topic:

Blu-ray player power cycling whenever plugged in

(Topic created: 06-18-2020 12:12 PM)
2,665 Replies
userdlg9UlBgQ3
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Yup same here, I have a BD-JM57 hooked up and it has always sometimes needed to be turned off manualy because the Amazon prime app gets stuck. So It got stuck last night (June 17th, 2020), I unplugged my blu-ray and when I plugged it back in (which usually isn't a problem), it starts turning on/off so fast I can't even put a DVD into the player. This has to be a problem from Samsung's end to have so many people with the same problem at the same time is not a coincedence.

UPDATE 6/18/2020: Got off chat with support and they say that there wasn't a software update for the BD-JM57 yesterday. They insist that it is a hardware issue and to troubleshoot or send it in for repair (they won't pay for it) but do say "this can also be software glitch. We are just waiting for a fix on this issued by Samsung." and to wait "atleast another day". I don't know about anyone else but if it isn't fixed within 24 hours I am shopping for a different brand and buying a roku/fire stick. Samsung isn't manufacturing Blu ray players anymore so clearly they don't care about those products or the people who have them.

Update #2 6/24/2020: Getting the run around with Samsung, they are obviously aware of the problem but from my impression, after 5 days, they're no closer to a solution and it seemed that they aren't even sure what the problem is. The employee said that Samsung will release a statement "once we sort out the issue" and not before. When I asked for a status update, nothing, when I asked for what the problem actally was, nothing. I stressed the severity of the situation and the position they are taking by waiting to make a statement. Honestly, I'm not buying anything from Samsung ever again. I went out and bought a roku and plan to buy a Blu-ray player (obviously not Samsung brand) that doesn't have apps or connect to the internet. BTW the employee keeps saying "resolution" instead of "solution" which is NOT a good sign for getting our devices fixed.

user8FedjnjSFr
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

So we all just magically had the same problem at the same time?? Interesting...

6thWilbury
Astronaut
Options
Home Theater

Not only magically, but I had it happen with two different players at the same time. I posted about this elsewhere in the thread, but mine pooped out. I then called my parents, borrowed theirs until I could get a replacement, and theirs did the same thing. All within a span of no more than six hours.

Are we sure this wasn't some bad firmware update that got pushed through, and affected all of our players at the same time?

quiglenj
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Thanks for sharing.  Yes, its a hardware issue by a well designed component that causes all model with different mfg. dates to fail at the same time.  It's a conspiracy.... jk.  I am sure Samsung will figure out the problem and let us all know how to move forward in a day or two.  And I still believe in the Tooth Fairy...

userliXrRekcA2
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

Thanks for the update.

Anyone know how to roll back an update? 

I could also see a problem being tough to fix because you can't get out of the boot cycle, so you can't run an update.  

6thWilbury
Astronaut
Options
Home Theater

Indeed, even if there is a fix, I can't imagine how we would ever implement it. The player doesn't stay on long enough for me to see the Samsung boot logo, let alone run some update.

user4ZsDscu80Y
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

Our BD-J5700 also ‘acquired’ this infinite reboot bug at about 10:00ish last night. The loop is about 8 seconds long, the menu only comes up for the last two. The on-device buttons have stopped working, and the only button that seems to work on the remote is the ‘eject’ button. With these limitations neither a soft nor hard reset is possible. Unplugging overnight did not fix. 

MagusJoe
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

I have a BD-JM57C doing the same thing. If you time it right, the directional keys do function on the main screen (from my experience) however it will still do the cycling. Samsung better get on a way to update or patch through the USB port because this will be a PR nightmare with some many owners having the same problem.

user6mWpI6zn0X
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Started seeing the same problem. Any solution?

Samsung BDJ5100ZA

0 Likes
useryRDrhvP5s5
Astronaut
Options
Home Theater

Since this is happening to so many people at the same time I can only guess that your players were obsoleted for you. This seems to be a problem here. Good luck on getting this fixed. Brick City!

0 Likes