Options
Home Theater

...it was working fine last night.

2,664 Replies
user2IFBH87qM7
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

This is causing the death of enetertainment world wide. I should have social distanced my equipment from the internet. Being exposed to this man made virus? Both my blu rays caught the Samsung Covid-19 virus and died!!! We need a cure ASAP! With all these people effected worldwide? I can feel a lawsuit coming on. 

Greyman
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

As others have affected devices that have not been connected to the internet, this looks more like an original coding, "genetic defect", than an update-induced "virus".  Probably the dreaded expiring SSL certificate syndrome.

user4WZV9oSL7A
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

Since it affected multiple devices, it sounds like a date issue. Something expired on or about June 18, 2020, and when your device checks the date against the expiration, it stops working. It could be a Java signing certificate, an SSL certificate, an SSL Certificate Authority, or even a date overflow. Those things probably wouldn't show up in testing.

The only thing to do is wait. Or download the most recent firmware, reverse engineer it, check for overflow conditions, then recompile and resign the package with your own certificates, then hope that your certificates validate any future updates.

0 Likes
BradKent
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

The instructions for using usb to update firmware tell you to go through the UI to settings / firmware update....

0 Likes
userX1qhoic6j1
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

There should be a secret key combination that will force a reflash from USB before the unit tries to boot.  Most flashable products have such a back door for disaster recovery like this.  If it does not then we are hosed and the only fix will be to send the units to Samsung.

userLfVh14IlMs
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

I'm having the same problem with my samsung ht-j5500w/za 

0 Likes
userqmprA8ZE5t
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Add me to the growing list. I've got a HT-J5500K that was affected on Thursday evening. I'm in Cape Town South Africa. 

0 Likes
userRwooOHY2Xi
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

For me the same for Samsung HT-J4500 Blu Ray Home cinema system.
only that i get the latest news.

0 Likes
userYrwj93JtmP
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

The same problem with my model HT-J4500 Home cinema. I'm from Madeira (Portugal). It started at 8:30 pm yesterday after noticing that he was not transmitting sound. I turned the device off and when I turned it on again it started to turn on and off repeatedly. Samsung, as a great brand, should have already given a more concrete answer...

0 Likes
usercDWH4fnLvv
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Adding my device and name to affected customer. Pretoria, South Africa

0 Likes