Options
Home Theater

C,6f uzby ><

0 Likes
DrToad
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Add me to the list.  Noticed it on Friday (6/19) and spent about 15 minutes trying to fix it (and failing obviously).  Had been using my Samsung BD-J5700 for Netflix.  Fortunately I have a Sony BDP-S5100 working just fine so I just switched over to that one.

I don't really care that it stopped working (stuff happens).  The fact that there is no real communication from Samsung is what I find frustrating.  This lack of communication has turned me off from ever buying another Samsung product again, so I guess congrats on losing a potential customer for life?

SoooThere
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Ditto!!!!  My HT-J5000W BluRay/3D stopped working on the 20th......  I am a  loyal Samsung customer who has purchased and owns several Samsung products.....ie.,kitchen appliances, phones, tablet, televisions, soundbar.  I made my purchases because of the Samsung name.  If this repair isn't corrected immediately, I will never NEVER purchase another Samsung Product.  THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE! At least let us know what the issue is!

Greyman
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

If it's an expired certificate, the ID of which had been hardcoded into the firmware, or the legacy of a millenium bug workaround, they are probably frantically checking what other of their devices might be affected also.  The slightly staggered failures of the various DVD models would probably suggest that the former is more likely and possibly that they are working to a very tight timescale to check and correct any issues, before the proverbial really hits the fan.

Imagine the pain if all of their Galaxy mobiles were to go offline.

userElW1oVRgVT
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

If this isn't fixed I'll not be happy as my BD is multi-region and it's not as if I can just buy another one. Kind of hope their smartphones start failing as well. That'll give them focus.

Greyman
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

They'll fix it.

Even if most of the affected devices are out of warranty, their reputation would never recover if they didn't.

user9mgobSmAGs
Constellation
Options
Home Theater
I sure hope so, it's the right move for Samsung. My BD-J5100 has been on the fritz since the 18th. Frustrating.
0 Likes
Tav2
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater
People keep bringing 'out of warranty' up but that I think is not applicable here. If these blu-ray units were failing outside of warranty from normal use, or from cheap internal components failing, then that would be a customer problem. When the blu-ray players were all working perfectly, and are now completely disabled by something that Samsung has done to them now that is a completely different matter. When making a purchase there is an consumer understanding that the item will last considerably longer then just the warranty period. It is certainly expected that the manufacturer will not up and disable the device on you. Who would drop 1K on a iPhone if Apple could send a kill code to disable your phone on the 366th day after your purchased it? Once you buy something it is now your property, not the manufacturers. If Samsung has done something to disable these various blu-ray players before their expected end-of-life operation, then the onus is now on Samsung to repair or replace these units regardless of warranty.
user4WZV9oSL7A
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

I have noticed quite a few "My refrigerator stopped working" posts in the support section. Possibly the same issue, but I don't have one to check.

0 Likes
userBkTUxtwLDv
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

I can understand if they have made a major screw up and are working on it, but the "Solved! Go to Solution" link and the Jump to Solution that leads to NOWHERE is absolutely infuriating. Why can't anyone get rid of these fake 'solution' messages until there really is a solution! Just show us that the company is actually working on this problem, doesn't believe it is resolved and has moved on to far less important tasks.