Options
Home Theater

...it was working fine last night.

2,664 Replies
userX1qhoic6j1
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

That is our only hope.  Identifying the cause should have been easy.  The fact that a fix has not yet been produced for even one model is making me believe there will be no fix.

Options
Home Theater

The current error state causes my units to be powered on as soon as they are plugged in.  A button press sequence on the BD-J5700 should be easy, there is only one button (Power on).  Unless they count the tray door open button, I  can't see how  that tray open/close button would be of any assistance in forcing a firmware update.  

I did find that if I hold the power button in while plugging the BD-j5700 AC cord in, it does not power up until the power button is released.  But as soon as you release the power on button it goes into it's loop-de-loop routine.

Seems to me Samsung has painted themselves into a corner.

0 Likes
userGjLOulchnr
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

I don't care of they are little or big Korean dudes as long as they do some thing. Quick!! 

Options
Home Theater

There are several posts and some tech websites that are suggesting the problem to be an expired Security certificate that does not allow the device to access the internet. 

I'm not a tech, but I don't believe that to be the case.  When my BD-j5700 was working, it would come to a steady on state where the start screen showed a bunch of different options, like playing a DVD or going to Netflix or Vudu, etc. 

It did not connect to the internet until you selected one of the on-line streaming options like NetFlix or Vudu.  Then there was a delay of several seconds with a message stating "connecting to the network".  Wouldn't this be the point where the Security Certificate is validated?  We aren't even getting that far, the start screen only flashes for about 1/2 a second and then goes black for several seconds, then repeats that cycle over and over never coming to a steady on state let alone allows the user to connect to their network and the internet.

useriKaIxTWLdY
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

@userBJZ6yOzqs9 wrote:

It did not connect to the internet until you selected one of the on-line streaming options like NetFlix or Vudu.  Then there was a delay of several seconds with a message stating "connecting to the network".  Wouldn't this be the point where the Security Certificate is validated?  

Except I remember a few times, where I would try to connect to one of the streaming services, like YouTube, as soon as I turned it on and I'd get "a system is updating try again later message." Usually it only lasted for a few seconds.

But this makes me think it was automatically checking for updates in the background as soon as it was turned on, but it pased so quickly people usually didn't notice.

0 Likes
Tav2
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

@userBJZ6yOzqs9 wrote:

There are several posts and some tech websites that are suggesting the problem to be an expired Security certificate that does not allow the device to access the internet. 

I'm not a tech, but I don't believe that to be the case.  When my BD-j5700 was working, it would come to a steady on state where the start screen showed a bunch of different options, like playing a DVD or going to Netflix or Vudu, etc. 

It did not connect to the internet until you selected one of the on-line streaming options like NetFlix or Vudu.  Then there was a delay of several seconds with a message stating "connecting to the network".  Wouldn't this be the point where the Security Certificate is validated?  We aren't even getting that far, the start screen only flashes for about 1/2 a second and then goes black for several seconds, then repeats that cycle over and over never coming to a steady on state let alone allows the user to connect to their network and the internet.

I am a bit of a tech, though not in this particular syle of electronics.

I do believe that internet connected players will automatically check in the background for things like firmware and blu-ray copy protection updates.

I am quite sure that upon turning on my HT-J4500 one day a few years back, before I had a chace to start any apps or play a movie I had a notification about a firmware update being available to be downloaded and installed.

So I am thinking all the players now stuck in a boot loop are ones where the player had connection to the internet, and something sent on Samsung's end is what bricked them.

The looping may be from these players trying to connect to Samsung servers at system start, and failing. Leading them to continiously reset and keep trying to connect.

Which brings me to why a internet connection issue completely bricks the players, instead of just disabling the streamingand browsing services. That is just incredibly sloppy programming that has now bitten Samsung square on the butt.

If I have a vehicle and the radio quits working, I expect a warning about that specific problem; not to have the entire vehicle completely disabled.

userX1qhoic6j1
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

Exactly right about why if this is some kind of certificate problem it is breaking all functionality.  Makes no sense.

0 Likes
Options
Home Theater

So are we saying that since I have both my BD-J5700's set up with my wifi password they might be automatically connecting in the background (unbeknown to me) and bombing out due to an expired SSL certificate?

So, would this mean if I turn my wifi router off and try turning the BD-J5700 on it might come out of it's loop because it can't check the SSL certificate since it can't connect to the net?

Worth a try?  

What I really find annoying here is that this has been going on since June 19th with several of us speculating on what has caused this, and how the system works, and not one little tid-bit of a comment from Samsung as to whether any of us are on the right track.

The only things I've seen on this thread from Samsung is:

(1) Samsung is aware of the problem and ... and what?

(2) If you have a disc stuck in your player, push the eject button on the remote and snatch it out really fast, because in it's current state of error that door is going to act like a snapping turtle. 

mcw53
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

@Tav2 wrote:

The looping may be from these players trying to connect to Samsung servers at system start, and failing. Leading them to continiously reset and keep trying to connect.

My BD-J5700 (wi-fi) and BD-J5100 (ethernet) are not even able to connect to my LAN.

userGjLOulchnr
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

I don't care of they are little or big Korean dudes as long as they do some thing. Quick!!