Options
Home Theater

...it was working fine last night.

2,664 Replies
squeegie
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

I think that's part of the reason they want you to "reset" it prior to shipping it.  Just my guess.

0 Likes
Jante
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

@squeegie wrote:

I think that's part of the reason they want you to "reset" it prior to shipping it.  Just my guess.

In the email, it was never stated to 'reset' it and if we could reset it, how? TY

0 Likes
user4WZV9oSL7A
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

@Jante wrote:

Problem:  apps passwords. Do I change them, will they be able to see them? I'm guessing they couldn't because it's conneced to my wifi?? Anyone know, even how to ask them this? Quandry!!  

Maybe they can, but what are they going to do? Drive 1500 miles just to use your Wi-Fi instead of driving around the corner to use Starbucks? 

You are a technician and your company is going to be receiving 200,000 units that need to be repaired in 2 days. How much time do you think they will spend copying your passwords? Just change the passwords to your services if you're worried. 

0 Likes
Jante
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

@user4WZV9oSL7A wrote:

@Jante wrote:

Problem:  apps passwords. Do I change them, will they be able to see them? I'm guessing they couldn't because it's conneced to my wifi?? Anyone know, even how to ask them this? Quandry!!  

Maybe they can, but what are they going to do? Drive 1500 miles just to use your Wi-Fi instead of driving around the corner to use Starbucks? 

You are a technician and your company is going to be receiving 200,000 units that need to be repaired in 2 days. How much time do you think they will spend copying your passwords? Just change the passwords to your services if you're worried. 

Thanks man, thought it would be that simple. 

0 Likes
Roush_Sport
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

236 pages worth of posts, and counting. Incredible. 

Add me to the list - model BD-J5100. Only thing I can get it to do is eject the disk tray using the remote. The tray will open for all of two seconds, and as soon as it power cycles, the tray closes. 

Rather than go through the hassle of sending the player in to be repaired (it was a gift purchased from Best Buy years ago...no receipt...was a $50 player if memory serves), any chance of Samsung releasing a firmware update that can be downloaded, placed on a flash drive, and then uploaded to the player via plugging the flash drive into the usb port? 

It's even more frustrating that looking on Amazon - this exact unit - refurbished - is selling for almost 400 bucks. The seller's cheese must have slid off of their cracker. Any other comparible units (sony, panasonic, etc) are all close to or over the $100 mark. If I didn't need the ability to play DVD's (my kiddos love watching Disney movies. No, I'm not signing up for yet another streaming service...ahem...Disney+), I'd just buy a firestick and be done with it. 

Fingers crossed we see a "do it yourself" solution soon!

0 Likes
userElW1oVRgVT
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

Any of you techy guys out there any idea what will happen if I send in my chipped multi-region BD J-5700 in to get sorted? I'm assuming they will replace the motherboard or something that will then undo the multi-region manual hack. If that's the case then there's no point in me sending it to them.

0 Likes
userRaKwQzytC9
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

I can add our JM51 blu-ray player to the massive list of affected blu-ray players.  I called 1-800-SAMSUNG and after blowing through the automated attendant got to a real person.  I said I wanted to take advantage of the free return shipping and repair of my Samsung Blu-Ray player that was rendered useless by the firmare update sent out by Samsung a couple of weeks ago.  She asked for the model number, put me on hold for a couple of minutes, and then came back and said that they could repair my player.  After giving my address and email info, she said a UPS shipping label would be sent to me.  I should take the label and my Blu-Ray player to a UPS facility where they would provide a box and ship it.  I will give them 24 hours to send the UPS shipping label, or I will be calling back.  I do have a ticket number.

I also have a Samsung BD-J6300 Blu-Ray player which hasn't had problems.  She looked at some list she had of affected models and told me that only 5xx series units had the problem.  Keeping my fingers crossed. 

0 Likes
Options
Home Theater

@Roush_Sport wrote:

236 pages worth of posts, and counting. Incredible. 

Add me to the list - model BD-J5100. Only thing I can get it to do is eject the disk tray using the remote. The tray will open for all of two seconds, and as soon as it power cycles, the tray closes. 

Rather than go through the hassle of sending the player in to be repaired (it was a gift purchased from Best Buy years ago...no receipt...was a $50 player if memory serves), any chance of Samsung releasing a firmware update that can be downloaded, placed on a flash drive, and then uploaded to the player via plugging the flash drive into the usb port? 

It's even more frustrating that looking on Amazon - this exact unit - refurbished - is selling for almost 400 bucks. The seller's cheese must have slid off of their cracker. Any other comparible units (sony, panasonic, etc) are all close to or over the $100 mark. If I didn't need the ability to play DVD's (my kiddos love watching Disney movies. No, I'm not signing up for yet another streaming service...ahem...Disney+), I'd just buy a firestick and be done with it. 

I got the 5700 with the exact same problem.  I just called 1-800-Samsung, worked my way past the automatic attendent, got a real person finally (45 minutes on the phone) and was done in about 10 minutes.  Got an email with instructions and another with a prepaid UPS label.  Already on it's way to Service Center.  As for the reciept, he asked if I had one and I told him after 4 years, no.  He said no problem.  

Call them up.  If they ask about a reciept, just tell them the truth.  It was a gift.  You shouldn't have any problems.  

0 Likes
Options
Home Theater

@Roush_Sport wrote:

... any chance of Samsung releasing a firmware update that can be downloaded, placed on a flash drive, and then uploaded to the player via plugging the flash drive into the usb port? 

If there was any chance of a downloadable at home fix, I really don't think Samsung would be spending a significant outlay of money to have customers ship them to a repair center.

0 Likes
Roush_Sport
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Until they realize "this isn't cost effective. Let's allow customers to do this themselves and save the shipping costs, time, and aggravation".

0 Likes