Options
Home Theater

...it was working fine last night.

2,664 Replies
userI5TW7OmhYw
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

Same, I am from India and they are not giving us the free repair either. We are not getting the same treatment as US and UK are getting, this is definitely discrimination. 

0 Likes
squeegie
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

@userRqpVbxoaL7 

I suppose it could be a form of discrimination but unless you are (I have no idea) non-white it certainly can't be what is commonly referred to as (racial) discrimination.  For that matter who is to say that those of us in the US, the UK and Canada are or aren't the same race as you.  I guess the point is why use an inflammatory word instead of just saying it's not fair.

Maybe Samsung doesn't have the same service structure setup in South Africa?  I hope they will work with you and reimburse you or give you the same free service.  Good luck!

Greyman
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

I'm guessing that where there are more reports being received by the national Samsung branch, they will have more quickly removed this from the normal, "is it covered by warranty?" question.   The inspection charge is probably a requirement for out-of-warranty units.

However, i would have thought that Samsung Head Office should have cascaded the message about the way that this fault should be dealt with, very quickly, and not left it to the national branches to get there under their own steam.  Discrimination, of any kind, is a strong charge and i suspect one that Samsung would want to refute at all costs, but this looks just like a case of poor communications, within Samsung's hierarchy, that has caused inconsistency across the world.

I'd keep on badgering Samsung SA/Samsung India, as appropriate, and ask them to check out what is going on, preferrably via Samsung's Head Office.  I'm sure you will get the same deal, once they have done so.

artmanjohn
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

If all these players are actually being repaired, has anybody actually found out what the problem was? Is it gonna happen again as soon as we get on line?

0 Likes
mcw53
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

@artmanjohn wrote:

If all these players are actually being repaired, has anybody actually found out what the problem was? Is it gonna happen again as soon as we get on line?

I also would really like to know what caused this. Some are saying it was a firmware auto-update. I don't believe that. One of the first things I do with any device (or software) that is connected to the internet is to disable auto-updates. I believe the problem was probably an expired SSL certificate in the existing firmware. Why else would a dozen different models all fail within a few days of each other? I suspect the fix is to "force" a firmware update with and updated SSL certificate. Mine is going back online as soon as I get it back. I checked the status of my repair orders and they state "We are preparing to ship out your repaired unit".

Jante
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

@userRqpVbxoaL7 wrote:

My issue is that @samsung978531 is not offering me the same service here in South Africa as it is in the UK and USA even though I am experiencing the same problem. The service I am referring to being free repair, collection and delivery. I will actually have settled for free repair. I have to pay the equivalent of $32 just to have someone in their "service centres" look at it with no guarantee of having it repaired.  Based on what I am seeing on other forums and this one, customers having this problem who are not residing in the USA or the UK are not being offered the same level of service even though we pay the same for their products. Is that not discrimination? I have been waiting now for 4 days for Samsung SA just to return my call to raise this issue with them. 

Keep on them! 

Is the online chat available for you to use? That what most of us in the USA did to get this repair started. If you have that access, good luck.  If not, keep calling, they BROKE your machine, they FIX it.  

0 Likes
user4WZV9oSL7A
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

@userRqpVbxoaL7 wrote:

@samsung978531So reading through this thread and the similar UK community thread, there is a fix for this through a firmware update. Why can you not post the firmware and steps to update it online? 

You've probably noticed that you can't get your device to the setting menu to update your firmware? 

Also, why are customers in the rest of the world not offered the same repair service as your UK and USA customers? Am I smelling discrimination here? Is our business not worth the same to you?

It's not discrimination. It's the classic case of a global company  doesn't have a left hemisphere that knows what the right hemisphere is doing. 

userkqMM7fTZvC
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Are they going to charge you for the shipping and repair?

I got the UPS pickup label as well but the email seems to indicate that I will have to pay for shipping and possible repair as the unit has been out of warranty (for a while)

I don't want to throw the unit on the trash heap, but I also don't want to be saddled with shipping and repair charges...just wondering!?

0 Likes
Greyman
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

My first contact with the repair partner suggested that i would have to pay for any necessary repairs, apart from the power cycling issue, but that they would let me know in advance of doing the repairs if any charge was to be levied. 

That seemed fair and as I've just had an email to tell me that it is now going through its final quality checks and will then be returned to me, I'm pretty happy with the process and non-the-poorer for it.

There does appear to be a degree of inconsistency with the communications that are coming out of the various parts of Samsung's operation, which does seem a little odd.  They must have their reasons I guess.

0 Likes
squeegie
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

@Greyman 

If you don't send a check or give credit card I don't see how you can lose

0 Likes