Astronaut
Options
Home Theater

...it was working fine last night.

2,664 Replies
Options
Home Theater

@userY5XUrQykpR wrote:

... The first thing I'm going to do when I get it back is turn OFF automatic updates.

How do you do that?  I was thinking the same thing and checked my user manual, but it's not clear that you can turn it off.

My BD-JM57C manual only has a section called 'Auto Upgrade Notification'

This section describes how to set the Auto Upgrade Notification on.  When it is on the player will give a notification that an upgrade is available. Then the user has to select 'YES' in a pop-up menu, the player shuts off, restarts and installs the upgrade and restarts again.  If there was a firmware update that caused this problem on my two units, none of the above steps happened.  There is no mention of what happens if the Auto Upgrade Notification has not been turned on.  I assume it won't do the upgrade?  So what did actually happen that caused mine to brick? I don't believe Auto Upgrade Notification was 'on' on either of my units.  I know I  never set it to be on.

0 Likes
artmanjohn
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

My update was turned off, and it happed anyways, I'm not going to hook up to internet at all, period!

0 Likes
squeegie
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

@MoparDude 

Mine said that within minutes of UPS saying it was delivered.  Hopefully it really was fixed that quickly and not just that it auto changed its status.  With any luck tomorrow it will show that it has shipped but I am skeptical.

MoparDude
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

@squeegie You're right, hope it's not wishful thinking. 

A couple of other points: I did not provide purchase receipts (don't have them anymore) or include the shipping form as requested when I boxed up and sent the units back to the the Samsung Riverdale NJ service center. (In my zeal to get them out the door, I didn't see the link containig shipping info.) Instead, I did create Dymo labels containing my name, address, phone number and RMA, then affixed them to the top of each unit. Hopefully this works in lieu of their form.

Options
Home Theater

@MoparDude wrote:

@squeegie You're right, hope it's not wishful thinking. 

A couple of other points: I did not provide purchase receipts (don't have them anymore) or include the shipping form as requested when I boxed up and sent the units back to the the Samsung Riverdale NJ service center. (In my zeal to get them out the door, I didn't see the link containig shipping info.) Instead, I did create Dymo labels containing my name, address, phone number and RMA, then affixed them to the top of each unit. Hopefully this works in lieu of their form.

I think the RMA number will link to all the information they need.

Actually the way Samsung did the 'Packing Instructions' is kind of lame.  When you  click on that link a PDF opens up showing how they want you to pack your device.  There is only passing mention of the form which if you didn't scroll to the 2nd page of the PDF you wouldn't have seen it.

squeegie
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

@MoparDude 

Any change in your unit's status?  Mine hasn't changed.  Guess I won't be getting it back until next week or after.

😞

0 Likes
Options
Home Theater

@squeegie wrote:

@MoparDude 

Any change in your unit's status?  Mine hasn't changed.  Guess I won't be getting it back until next week or after.

😞

I got an email this afternoon from them.  The unit has been repaired and is prepared to be shipped back.  The invoice reads:

Model Code: D-J5711/ZA

Symptom-Cyclic Power on/off

Repair Description: Reset up

So we'll see what we have when it gets back.. 

0 Likes
Zorro3k6
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

@squeegie 

I'm still wating for mine to be repaired as well. No new update from them. I probably won't see it until next week as well.

MoparDude
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

@squeegie 

Update! Yes, there has been a status change in my case. I received two texts (as well as e-mail messages) Thursday (at 1:23 PM then later at 5:34 PM) stating that work on each unit was completed and they were in the process of being shipped. Included in each text message were tracking numbers along with two links: the first to the UPS tracking site (indicating the shipping label was created) and the second to the service repair ticket itself. The emails offered the same information but also an attachment of the service repair statement and an alternative text number to directly access the actual service repair ticket. The repair statement attachment offers a cryptic description of the problem and solution:

Symptom: cyclic power on/off

Repair Description: Reset Up

Repair Result: Factory Reset

Pretty sure Samsung's not shipping overnight, so I'm not going to expect the players until next week (Wednesday or so). For reference, I live in NY.

Pretty good turn-around time diagnosing and fixing the units, but this may because there's no real queue yet.

I can’t speak to Samsung’s arrangement with customers in other countries, but in the U.S., they are fully bearing the repair cost and shipping fees (mailing in and returning each unit). They are calling it a one-time accommodation to cover the inspection and/or labor and parts used for the repair.

For other readers following this thread, I’ll reiterate what’s been posted before: if you are experiencing the “boot loop” problem, contact Samsung by phone or chat. They will create a repair ticket. You don’t need proof of purchase (i.e. receipt) to have them repair/service the unit for free.

mcw53
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

@squeegie wrote:

@MoparDude 

I have 2 blu-ray players in for repair (BD-J5100 & BD-J5700). I got a couple texts Wedsnesday stating they had been received at the service center. When I checked the status of the tickets later that day they both stated "We are preparing to ship out your repaired unit.". Thursday I received a text stating the 5100 had been shipped. The status of that ticket has changed to "Your repaired unit will be delivered soon.". Following the UPS tracking link in the ticket showed a scheduled delivery date of Monday July 6.