Options
Home Theater

...it was working fine last night.

2,664 Replies
userIEidvmb9So
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Hello, I had a chat with Samsung rep and they asked bunch of details, such as address, seriel number etc and then sent me a pre paid shipping label to send the BluRay player along with power cable to repair free of charge. I had the same issue with HT-J5500W. I dropped my unit today at UPS. 🙂 

Options
Home Theater

@userIEidvmb9So wrote:

Hello, I had a chat with Samsung rep and they asked bunch of details, such as address, seriel number etc and then sent me a pre paid shipping label to send the BluRay player along with power cable to repair free of charge. I had the same issue with HT-J5500W. I dropped my unit today at UPS. 🙂 

Hope you get a quicker turn around that I have.  Mine was repaired on July 2.  Got the email saying that it was fixed and ready to go.  But my timing is perfect.  With everyone off on the 3rd and the 4th, then the 5th being a sunday, mine is still sitting on the dock at the service center.  Hopefully, it will be shipped today.. maybe.  LOL

0 Likes
Options
Home Theater

I sent 2 identical BD-JM57C units that arrived at Samsung service Riverdale NJ on 06/30/2020.  Both showed repaired on 07/01/2020 within an hour of each other.  I received 2 UPS tracking numbers for the return to me.  Only one of them was shipped out of Riverdale NJ, it arrived at my home today.  I was hoping both units were sent in the same box, but no luck.  The tracking number for the 2nd unit shows that it is still waiting for UPS pickup at Riverdale NJ repair shop.  

I've had 2 chats with  Samsung and they  tell me to call the Riverdale NJ facility.  I called several times, no answer, voice mail box is full, can't leave a message.  I even sent them emails and they do not reply.

I had another chat with Samsung and they said there is nothing they can do.  They are not allowed to make outgoing phone calls.

mcw53
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

@userBJZ6yOzqs9 wrote:

I sent 2 identical BD-JM57C units that arrived at Samsung service Riverdale NJ on 06/30/2020.  Both showed repaired on 07/01/2020 within an hour of each other.  I received 2 UPS tracking numbers for the return to me.  Only one of them was shipped out of Riverdale NJ, it arrived at my home today.  I was hoping both units were sent in the same box, but no luck.  The tracking number for the 2nd unit shows that it is still waiting for UPS pickup at Riverdale NJ repair shop.  

Exactly the same here. Sent in a BD-J5100 and BD-J5700 (Shipped on Monday June 29). The repaired 5100 arrived at my home today (Monday July 6) and the 5700 is waiting for UPS pickup in Riverdale NJ.

The blu-ray player I received has a new sticker on the back: WKB9117 07/02/2020 EXT. The firmware version has changed. It is B-JM53BSPWWB-1021.0 (was 1020.1). The unit has been reset to factory settings, so had to make a few changes including re-entering my account/password for Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, YouTube, VUDU, etc.

The blu-ray player works perfectly. Thank you Samsung.

Edit: Modified statement above about firmware version.

Options
Home Theater

I just checked the status of my 2nd unit (MIA).  

Now it shows that UPS picked it up from Riverdale NJ repair shop at 5:44PM today.  Bizarre how they got separated, with one left behind for 2 days.

So I should have it Wednesday.

I also had to reset my wifi credentials, and passwords.  Having the same firm-ware worries me.   The only option for receiving upgrades on my unit is to either turn Auto Upgrade Notification on or off.  How do you have yours set?

0 Likes
mcw53
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

My 2nd unit was also picked up today, so expecting a Wednesday arrival.

Re: Firmware, my firmware version has changed from 1020.1 to 1021.0.

I suspect the only change to the firmware was an updated SSL certificate.

The latest version on Samsung's website is 1020.1 (12/12/2017).

My setting for Auto Upgrade Notification is currently On. Don't see a setting for Auto Upgrade On/Off. Since Samsung is out of the blu-ray player business, I doubt we'll be seeing any updates.

0 Likes
Options
Home Theater

Oops, you're right, I misread my firmware version, it is also 1021.0.  

Well that would be good if they don't make anymore updates, their last one was a killer.

Regarding the delay in picking up our 2nd units, I'm thinking they might have run out of UPS boxes with all the repair units they have pouring in.  LOL

0 Likes
mcw53
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

@userBJZ6yOzqs9 wrote:

Well that would be good if they don't make anymore updates, their last one was a killer.

I'm not sure it was an auto update. Whenever I update my firmware (online or usb) I always download a copy to my PC so I always have a copy of the current firmware. The version I have on my PC is 1020.1 which, according to the Samsung website, is the most current version. I've been running that version on both my players since August 2018. If the problem was in fact an expired SSL certificate in the firmware, maybe it was a ticking time bomb that finally blew up after years of being dormant.

Also, if it was an auto-update, there should have been a notification of the update. The default setting for Auto Upgrade Notification is On. I don't recall anybody mentioning a notification of an update in the original thread.

Who knows, maybe it was something nefarious and Samsung is keeping a lid on it. Hope we find out some day.

Options
Home Theater

@mcw53 wrote:

@userBJZ6yOzqs9 wrote:

I'm not sure it was an auto update. Whenever I update my firmware (online or usb) I always download a copy to my PC so I always have a copy of the current firmware. The version I have on my PC is 1020.1 which, according to the Samsung website, is the most current version. I've been running that version on both my players since August 2018. If the problem was in fact an expired SSL certificate in the firmware, maybe it was a ticking time bomb that finally blew up after years of being dormant.

Also, if it was an auto-update, there should have been a notification of the update. The default setting for Auto Upgrade Notification is On. I don't recall anybody mentioning a notification of an update in the original thread.

Who knows, maybe it was something nefarious and Samsung is keeping a lid on it. Hope we find out some day.

I have no idea.  I have 2 identical 5700 series.  One in my computer room and one in the Living room.  The one in my computer room hit with the boot loop problem.  As soon as I found the articles online, I checked the one in the living room and it's still working perfectly.  If it was SSL, then both should have died at the same time.  If it was a Firmware update, the one in the living room hasn't been on in a while and wasn't powered up until long after the bugs hit all the others.  Unless it was the SSL bug and Samsung sent out an repair update that caught the living room one as it booted up when I tested it.  

I don't think that we will every figure it out unless someone fesses up to it.  

userO4de6TNkS9
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

It's not a firmware update. There was no firmware update listed under my model and my model was not even connected to the internet. It stopped working exactly 3 years after the last firmware update as others have pointed out.