cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

BlueRay player only plays DVDs

Suddenly my (old) Blueray player is playing DVDs fine but throws out BR disks saying it can't read them. Suggestions?

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Nebula

Re: BlueRay player only plays DVDs

the only way to know is to take your disk to a best buy or some electronic store and see if it plays. you can ofcourse try to update the firmware clean the the lense look in settings but certainly codecs are behind with the player
Highlighted
Constellation

Thanks. I tried to play a BR disk that I used a few months ago... Doesn't work anymore now. To me that means it's not the disk... (I tried three BR disks). Any DVD will play immediately however

Highlighted
Nebula

my comment earlier was removed but like I said h265 4k ac3e could be too new of codes even if in 720p or 1080p. Your current BR player plays up to 520p and below like 480p that is DVD if you are burning your own you need to change some settings with your burning software
Highlighted
Constellation

An old BR disk I used before now refuses to play, so it's not the disk... 

Highlighted
Nebula

I see the disc used to play, well that would mean the disc for sure. Try a different Disc if you can test with the player. You can wash the problematic disc with soap and warm water dry with a soft cloth. Also try cleaning the laser if you have a cleaning CD. After the Disc has been thoroughly cleaned you can use car wax let dry and buff clean with a soft cloth it can fill scratches and stop laser bursts.
Highlighted
Constellation

I tried three BR disks. None worked. Then I tried a DVD: it worked immediately.

Cleaning the laser might makes sense... I have the BD-ES7000. No way to get inside. I'll see if I have a cleaning CD somewhere

Highlighted
Nebula

sounds good
Highlighted
Constellation

I looked... no cd clean disk. I browsed earlier to find a way to open the player to try to take a look and maybe clean the lense. There's four screws on the back. If I take them out, the cover is still very much stuck. There's no info about servicing that I can find...

Highlighted
Nebula

that option is to replace the laser lens they are usually 25.00 kits . ide say try purchasing a cleaning disc kit first