JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Can't connect to Wifi HW-MS650 Soundbar

(Topic created: 02-04-2019 01:34 PM)
useruRi6OWvT3m
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Hi, So I got the new MS650 Soundbar, but I've been trying to connected to Wifi for 3 days now with no luck.

So the only way to connect it is using the Samsung Multiroom app, but it just doesn't work.

The app finds my bar, but it tries to connect than just get an error message "" Ubable to connect your speaker to the network"

I tried using my Android phone, and I tried using an Ipad with no luck, I also tried connecting over 2.4 and 5ghz network.

I rebooted my modem, played around with wireless settings and nothing.

I feel like half the features of the soundbar are non usable and also wont be able to get firmware uptades.

I tried calling customer support but they weren't any help.

Any idea what could be wrong?

it's out of stock in most places, so my only option is returning it unless I can figure this out.

Any help is appreciated.

Here's the Soundbar I got: http://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/home-theater/sound-bars/sound--premium-soundbar-h...

49 Replies
usereMkEziWpfA
Astronaut
Options
Home Theater

Hi, I just boight a MS651 soundbar. I would like to connect it with the Multiroom app. but I can’t.

Two behavior, most of the time after selecting « wifi »

on the soundbar, i see « need to connect wifi » on the soundbar. I open MultiRoom app, and cant find the soundbar at all...

Once, the app find the bar and asked me the password of my wifi network. I entered it but nothing happen, i had an error and then tje bar displayed « disconnected ».

note my tv is not a sart tv.

SamsungLou
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Home Theater

@usereMkEziWpfA   Thank you so much for reaching out! This forum is for support of US products and customers. As your product is a non-US model and support for these models is very limited, please seek a support team for your area. You can do so by using this link. Thanks!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
userSJKJOLF772
Astronaut
Options
Home Theater

I cant get mine off shop1

sub wont pair either

MODEL NUMBER: HW-MM55C/ZA

0 Likes
user2NgeUwO5ys
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

i had the same problem the solution is simple download the smartthings app and install you're soundbar there its much easier and you dont have to change router settings just follow the app and the when installed it works on the multiroom when you open the app

userh02g988AfT
Constellation
Options
Home Theater
0 Likes
SamsungFrank
Astronaut
Options
Home Theater

Unofortunately unplugging the soundbar and back in does not work for everybody. 

What I did was download the firmware from the samsung website onto a USB - C thumbdrive:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/2017-soundplus-soundbar-hw-ms650

If your not sure what that is: 

https://www.google.com/search?q=usb+c+thumb+drive&oq=usb+c+thu&aqs=chrome.1.0l2j69i57j0l5.3982j0j7&s...

The Samsung website says the soundbar has a micro USB slot, Unfortunately they are mistaken on the type. The USB C slot is where you would connect the wirless dongle for wireless speakers and subwoofer. 

Now the steps once you have downloaded the firmware file to the drive:

1. Unplug the power cord from the speaker.

2. Plug the USB-C into the wireless/usb-c slot. 

3. plug the power cord back into the speaker.

4. Turn on speaker and leave it alone. (You will see on the diplay update flashing)

5. Once the update is complete, the word "update" will dissapear and the soundbar will turn off       then back on by itself.

6. Turn the soundbar off and remove the usb-c drive and plug back in the wireless dongle if using one.

Now using an iphone I went to the mutiroom app and attemted the wifi set up, at first the wifi set up failed like it normally did with the error "unable to connect to wifi network". I then pressed on try different set up where the instruction was to press the wifi set up botton, only this time when I followed the directions I got to the screen where connect was grayed out and just hit cancel set up. To my surprise the soundbar connected to the app (It has never done that in the 2 years I had this soundbar). I then attemped to connect to wifi on a samsung phone that I had, It failed and then kicked my iphone off. I then tried the wifi connect again on the samsung....and it worked! I then went to my iphone and it instantly found the soudbar via wifi. 

Now I dont know forsure if using the samsung phone had any affect or I just needed to try the set up a few times after the update. My gut feeling tells me no because the second method started working on the iphone. 

Since updating the soundbar the sounds on the wireless subwoofer and the rear speakers sound so much better. I hope these steps help you. 

0 Likes
usergvGspVvpIb
Astronaut
Options
Home Theater

Same issues as everyone else using the multiroom app and following Samsung's steps, the soundbar simply would not connect to wifi. Tried both options several times over two days.

Similar to an earlier post, here's what worked ... keep multiroom app open. Download the Smartthings app, and add the soundbar/ connect to wifi there. You will need to know your SSID name (options didn't pop up to select), type of encryption used, and pswd. Once connected, click on the soundbar icon ... will bring up a status page. There you will see a button called "Go to Multiroom App" ... hit that, and when Multiroom pops up click on the settings gear top right corner. Click on Speaker Software Update, toggle on the slider switch, then hit 'Update Now'. 

However ... the multiroom app said my firmware was up-to-date even though it was still the original version. But about an hour later, while watching TV, the soundbar started to flash "Update" (I hadn't yet closed either app). Went on for about 5 mins and restarted twice. Checked the multiroom app and I was on firmware 1147-2. Success.  

0 Likes
user50285nc3qo
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

FIXED!!!!  After 6 months of on and off I figured what the problem is.  It's an iOS update.  Anything after iOS 12 will show connect to "WiFi" when trying to add the speaker through the Multi-Room App(which I always thought was interesting because that's not the name of my network SSID).  You will need to find an iOS device that has iOS version 11 or older, download the app, and it will install just like normal and at the WiFi connecting screen it showed my actual wireless network name and not the generic "WiFi" name.

I found an old iPad mini that had version 9 and I was able to reinstall the Soundbar with this and now it works and also across all devices including my iPhone 11 Pro Max and MacBook. 

0 Likes
user0fPVsAkixI
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Figured out how to do this in 2020 using a modern iPhone (iOS 13).

Setting up WiFi using the MultiRoom app doesn't work, because the app is super old and it doesn't use the right SSID.

Instead:

- Download the Samsung SmartThings app

- Reboot your speaker, and put it into WiFi Setup mode using the button on the back

- Open the MultiRoom app and then leave it running

- Open the SmartThings app, sign in and add a new device. Find the right speaker (MS650 was what I searched for)

- Follow the setup on the SmartThings app. I had to give it my WiFi SSID and password, and during setup it wanted me to press the vol down button on the speaker to continue pairing

- Once it has paired, let it finish, then click on the speaker in the SmartThings app. You can then launch the MultiRoom app from that screen

- I then powered off and on my speaker, which took it out of WiFi setup mode

I can now connect to the speaker over WiFi just fine, and update it using the MultiRoom app

0 Likes
useroXSKGFdSdk
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Hi all. 

I've had the same issues and after reading different forums I tried my own solution. I have M7, M5 and M3. None wanted to connect to WI-FI. I tried with IOS and Android. 

The best is to reset everything before you start. Reset the app and the speakers.  I also resetted my router by mistake but you should do this with caution! Save your configuration if you want to reset the router. 

Go in to your router via 192.168.0.1 (not always this IP) and remove the password for your SSID and disable SPI firewall (not sure what this does and if it even helped). 

After that my speakers started to connect. I also tried to create a guest network without passwords but all i could hear was that "the speaker is now connected" but they never did connect in the app. 

I hope this helps someone. 

Best regards,

M

0 Likes