cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userrcPlgNDEE2
Constellation

Change Time Zone

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have a BD J5100. I'm in region 1. I want to watch region 2 DVDs. Can I change the time zone to watch those DVDs and then change it back? I heard that Samsung players can only play region 1 or A discs. What about players that are sold in other countries? What's the point of choosing a region during initial setup?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Change Time Zone

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You set up the region during the initial setup to ensure you are playing the correct DVD that was manufactured and/or intended for use in that same specific region. The time zone doesn't really affect DVDs playback. This option is mostly just about preference. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

3 REPLIES 3
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Blu-ray region codes are a form of DRM (Digital Rights Management) designed to allow film studios to control where and when a film is released and its pricing. Blu-ray region codes are assigned based on where the player will be sold and are embedded in the players' firmware.

All Samsung Blu-ray players sold in the U.S. are Region A players. Check the Blu-ray disc for region code.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Highlighted
userrcPlgNDEE2
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I don't think that explains why I had to choose a region on initial setup, or why I could change the time zone if I wanted to.

@SamsungDarius wrote:

Blu-ray region codes are a form of DRM (Digital Rights Management) designed to allow film studios to control where and when a film is released and its pricing. Blu-ray region codes are assigned based on where the player will be sold and are embedded in the players' firmware.

All Samsung Blu-ray players sold in the U.S. are Region A players. Check the Blu-ray disc for region code.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You set up the region during the initial setup to ensure you are playing the correct DVD that was manufactured and/or intended for use in that same specific region. The time zone doesn't really affect DVDs playback. This option is mostly just about preference.