cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userUMRYZkidNi
Asteroid

Connecting multiple components to HW-Q70R Soundbar

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm trying to get some guidance and suggestions on how to best connect my various components to a new Samsung HW-Q70R soundbar.  Currently I have 2013 Samsung UN60F8000 TV. I will eventually be getting a newer TV, but I wanted to start with the soundbar first. The current setup is all run through an AV Receiver, so I'm only used to every component being run through the AV Receiver and then connnecting to the TV.  I will be getting rid of the AV Receiver, since it is an older model that support the newer technology (Dobly Atmos, 4K, etc)

Since the Q70R only has one HDMI input and one HMDI(ARC) output, I'm wondering how to connect the multiple components to the tv and the soundbar?

I have a cable box, FireStick, and Apple TV that I would like to connect.

The inputs on the UN60F8000 are:

HDMI1(STD); HDMI2(DVI); HDMI3(ARC); HDMI4(MHL)

I have a Harmony Ultimate Remote control, so I'm not too concerned about having to switch between sources or inputs.

Thank you for any suggestions you might have.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JP11
Cosmic Ray

Re: Connecting multiple components to HW-Q70R Soundbar

JUMP TO SOLUTION

ARC on the soundbar to ARC on the tv is the recommended set up and will give you access to all video and audio formats that the devices are capable of. However I would suggest connecting at least the cable box to the soundbar rather than the tv.  Many, including myself, have found that connecting the box to the tv first will introduce an audio sync issue. If you were to use an optical cable from tv to the soundbar instead of using the HDMI ARC ports then connecting the cable box to the tv shouldn't cause the audio sync issue. But certain audio formats may not work that way. There are various HDMI switches available that will give you multiple HDMI ports that can then connect to the single port on the 70. That way you can connect more than one of your other devices directly to the soundbar to avoid that sync problem. The Apple TV 4K has Dolby Atmos capability that cannot pass from many tvs to the soundbar. I have mine connected directly to my Q80 soundbar for that reason. I also have my Fios dvr connected to the the 2nd HDMI port on the soundbar because of that audio sync issue. And again those switches will increase the number of devices that can connect to the sound bar, you would just change the switch to whichever device you want to see displayed on the tv. They are available on Amazon. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey, try connecting the soundbar to the tv and then connecting everything else to the tv. Let us know if it works.

userUMRYZkidNi
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

What would be the best way to connect it to the TV? Bluetooth, Optical cable, or HDMI (ARC) to HDMI (ARC)?

JP11
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

ARC on the soundbar to ARC on the tv is the recommended set up and will give you access to all video and audio formats that the devices are capable of. However I would suggest connecting at least the cable box to the soundbar rather than the tv.  Many, including myself, have found that connecting the box to the tv first will introduce an audio sync issue. If you were to use an optical cable from tv to the soundbar instead of using the HDMI ARC ports then connecting the cable box to the tv shouldn't cause the audio sync issue. But certain audio formats may not work that way. There are various HDMI switches available that will give you multiple HDMI ports that can then connect to the single port on the 70. That way you can connect more than one of your other devices directly to the soundbar to avoid that sync problem. The Apple TV 4K has Dolby Atmos capability that cannot pass from many tvs to the soundbar. I have mine connected directly to my Q80 soundbar for that reason. I also have my Fios dvr connected to the the 2nd HDMI port on the soundbar because of that audio sync issue. And again those switches will increase the number of devices that can connect to the sound bar, you would just change the switch to whichever device you want to see displayed on the tv. They are available on Amazon. 

View solution in original post

userUMRYZkidNi
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you JP11. Great suggestions. Thanks for the detailed reply