cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

DO NOT buy Samsung HW-Q80R Soundbars if you have a Samsung TV

Buyer beware,

A few months ago, I purchased a HW-Q80R Soundbar to pair with my Q90R QLED TV. Seeing how the soundbar was advertised as being optimized for Samsung TVs, and is made by Samsung, I assumed it would be the simplest process ever. 

Wrong. There is something wrong with these soundbars. I don't know if it's a software defect or what, but they repeatedly drop as an available audio device when connected via HDMI ARC. Also, the audio occasionally pops from time to time. Once it disappears as an available audio device via HDMI, the only way I could get it to come back was to unplug the unit for 60 seconds, plug it back in, and then factory reset the soundbar. This had to be done EVERY single time I powered on the television to watch something. 

I contacted Samsung, and multiple times received incorrect troubleshooting instructions. They would tell me how to reset the soundbar using buttons that don't even exist on the included remote. Without getting too lost in the details, I eventually had to exchange it for a replacement. I was told the first unit must be defective. The replacement came, and exhibited the same issue. I had a Samsung technician come to my house to try and see if there was an issue with my television. He could not figure out the problem. 

I eventually had to return the replacement unit out of frustration, and buy another brand of Soundbar. The OTHER brand worked perfectly out of the box, is always recognized as an audio ouput, and never drops the sound. Just so I'm not accused of being a shill I won't even name the other brand. 

I have seen numerous other people post about this issue. If Samsung is aware of it (they have to be), they don't seem to be in any rush to address it. For a $1,000 piece of audio equipment this is unacceptable. The only soundbar I cannot get to work with a Samsung TV, is made by Samsung. 

I'm warning you that you're taking a gamble purchasing one of these. 

4 REPLIES 4
Asteroid

Re: DO NOT buy Samsung HW-Q80R Soundbars if you have a Samsung TV

Tons of people, including me, are experience the same thing. Radio silence from the Samsung moderators here and zero help from the Samsung support team. Heads buried in the sand until the inevitable class action lawsuit is filed.

Highlighted
Constellation

I too have a Q90R connected to a Q80R and have a lip sync lag problem.  I was also told by Samsung something was wrong with the soundbar and to exchange it.  I exchanged it  and still have the lip sync problem when watching cable but not when I stream.  I’ll call Samsung again and if they can’t resolve the problem it will be returned.  I love the sound when streaming but the lip sync problem is annoying and I didn’t pay $1000 to be annoyed.   What did you replace yours with?

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Hey, give this link a shot: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01110022/

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Asteroid

I've had same/similar issues in this thread: 

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Home-Theater/Brand-New-HW-Q80R-Soundbar-not-keeping-setting-for-...

Basically, Samsung have properly dropped the ball here and looks like there's no proper fix!