cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Does Samsung HW-Q950T Soundbar handle LPCM audio?

I have read on various forums by folks who have tested - that this soundbar down scales LPCM 5.1/7.1 to PCM - which sounds like a BIG problem - especially as I use Apple TV 4K for the most part which outputs mostly LPCM! 

In that case, until this issue is fixed, the Soundbar is pretty much useless for owners of Apple TV?

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Does Samsung HW-Q950T Soundbar handle LPCM audio?

No, at the moment (Aug 2020) it does not handle LPCM audio. I have just tested it with multiple 5.1 test files...

Highlighted
Asteroid

So pretty much the Soundbar is useless with Apple TV 4K  - which outputs everything 5.1/7.1 as LPCM? 

Highlighted
Asteroid

Pretty much and that's all I use. Either they fix it soon or I'm returning it. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

Its pretty shocking how a Soundbar that costs $2K does not handle LPCM! 

Highlighted
Asteroid

There is an update available through SmartThings, but it doesn't fix the LPCM downscale problem.

BTW, I'm only testing this using AAC 5.1 test files, playing them through PLEX on an Nvidia Shield.

Highlighted
Asteroid

A user tested this on AVForum and reported that the latest firmware update fixes the LPCM issue:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/samsung-hw-q950t-and-hw-q900t-soundbar-review-comments.2307940/post...

Highlighted
Asteroid

Based on these reports, I retested mine again and it seems that for me the rear surrounds don't work. Their sound is coming out from the front. Left, right, centre and sub are working - so it's not stereo anymore.

Highlighted
Constellation

Hi everyone, I just wanted to share the issues I've been facing with this soundbar and certain LPCM sources connected directly to the soundbar's HDMI input since the TV I'm using currently does not have eARC. All of these were tested on Standard mode.

Nintendo Switch - This one is weird. When the Switch's audio output is set to automatic, the test sounds for the surround channels come from the side firing speakers on the bar rather than the rear speakers. When it's set to surround, the test sounds come from the rear speakers but the certain sound effects are not played (the villager voices from Animal Crossing for example). It seems that turning the "Virtual" setting to on will send sound to the rear speakers, but I'm not sure if there are any side effects.

PC (HDMI output from my 980Ti) - The speaker setup only allows me to choose between Stereo and Dolby Atmos. 5.1 and 7.1 options are grayed out. Passthrough of DD and Atmos material to the soundbar appears to be working fine though regardless of which option in speaker setup I choose and I can definitely tell that the rear speakers are active. I will try playing a game sometime over the weekend but I would assume that grayed out 5.1 and 7.1 options would prevent me from playing games in surround sound.

Playstation 4 Pro - LPCM seems to be output in stereo only. The 5.1 icon in Netflix is not displayed unless I change the output to Bitstream Dolby or DTS.

I really hope Samsung can look into and address these issues with LPCM urgently.