cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userA3zrYPVOgQ
Constellation

HDMI ARC Does Not Work

I have spent 4 hours on Sunday & 11 hours yesterday trying to get my Samsung G7DR (QN82Q7DRAF) HDMI Arc to work.  I've had four techs on this matter.  Each had different replies and two were on given access to my TV:

Tech checked the HDMI-CEC (Anynet+) being turned on (it was) but then said the HDMI 4 Arc using too long of brand new 12-ft long 4K HDMI cable (despite the Samsung HMDI connection test indicated all good -- please I swtich to a 4-foot one and still no dice), and get this one, "Can you contact Sony to change the CODEC on your receiver (STR-DA5400ES), to you need to use the Optical cable (I can't take that 82-inch down one more time after several other suggestions -- my wife and two kids are scared they will break it after yet another effort after after...)  I even had one tech after we put my Sony receiver GUI on that he saw that my Sony needed a software update -- this unit has no internet capability and Sony confirmed there has never been an update for my unit.  Meanwhile all settings on the receiver were all reviewed by the tech but still no sound on the Apps.

How about this one?  "I see the music on the Sound setup is showing moving bars, so sound is coming from your TV so it's not a Samsung TV issue - must be your HDMI board."  Really, the Sony plays Netflix when plugged back in with and with sound.  Plus, I went from HDMI Output A to HDMI Output B and still no sound on Samsung. 

The other replies were all standard to the software update (done on the first try -- this isn't my first rodeo with firmware), to all of the sound checks, etc. including the obscure secret menu-esque, "turn off HDMI-CEC on TV, unplug Power to TV, ensure power is drained from TV (holding power button)..."

While the no sound on Apps is my main issue, my TV has been not seeing my Cox Cable anymore so I have unplug the Cable HMDI connection to the Sony receiver to see it again.  It has relabled my Cox service as an "Amp, etc.  This system is seriously flawed for someone who is pretty tech savvy and I would imagine that the less techie people are tearing their hair out but once you put an 82-inhc TV on the wall, what are we to do?  This isn't something you just tote back to the store.

While Samsung you've answered the phone and replied, etc.  I am finally getting the P1 service call (takes 24 to 48 hours for them to call and then schedule).  I only have 30 days to return my Samsung at Costco and how in the world to you do that when the installers haul away your box? 

Then I started doing some internet searches and see that this isn't a rare one-off.  It's all over the Samsung Community.  Yet, this problem still exists.  If it's firmware issue, this has got to be your priority!  My Netflix and Prime are useless (yeah, I can play the sound via the TV speakers but I have a 125-watt per channel 7.2 system that is rendered useless and moreover I can't even imagine telling my wife how to play Netflix and Prime now).  

This is truly an URGENT PAIN POINT!  

I've had the TV installed on Sunday, it's now Tuesday, it's still not fixed.  I can't imagine how long the schedule is out and meanwhile I have my prime method of watching TV shut down.  My Sony Bravia run on one HDMI ARC flawlessly -- plug and play.  This isn't a Sony STR-DA5400ES issue (and yes, that model does show up on the Universal Remote setup (yet that is a another story as that takes multiple attempts.

This is a Samsung issue.  I read about Sonys, Maranatz, Onkyos, etc having the same issue.  HDMI Arcs work and DID work for me for 9 straight years.

What is Samsung going to do?  With the extra an hour research of today, I'm now 17 hours DEEP on getting my Samsung to work properly and connect to HDMI Arc, plust an hour writing this to make this critically useful to point out that a fix is needed without yelling or complaing.  If one of your techs spent 17 hours to get your product to work right, what would be the proper response?

This is a GLOBAL matter and I WANT this TV to work out and provide a great review but right now, I'm at the point where Costco gets this back and my review on Costco will address this CRITICAL HDMI 4 Arc issue as NO ONE is buying this TV to play the Apps on the TV speaker.

Again, I have a supposed service call (4150883870) ordered last night on Sept 12, 2019 apparently.  I'm supposed to hear back from someone about an appointment, but after reading all of the Community issues, this most likely isn't going to have a fix as even the Optical cables aren't fixing this issue.  

I'd like to know what's the next step if this service call fails which looks likely it will?

5 REPLIES 5
useruJjrNCi01d
Constellation

Re: HDMI ARC Does Not Work

I have the exact same problem. This is driving me crazy looking for a solution.

Samsung? Are you listening?

I had a similar issue with my Samsung TV.  It turned out to be what I perceive as an incompatibility issue with my cable box.  I could not get ARC to work until I swapped out my cable box for a different manufacturer/model.

The challenge is the all this Anynet+/CEC stuff is not really standardized.  So, there are incompatibilities between the way manufacturers handle it.

I would suggest unplugging all devices except for the TV and the receiver.  See if that works.  If it does, start adding devices back into the mix and see which one causes the ARC to stop working.  That's what I did and eventually figured out it was the cable box.

userA3zrYPVOgQ
Constellation

Just had Samsung Techs come out.  Same issue and NO FIX.  They say it is incompatible YET my ARC worked with a Song Bravia and controlled everything.  We added the Optical and no go.  The Techs, nice guys, but sorry, this is a Samsung issue as Arc AND optical won't plat Samsung TV, NetFlix, Prime, etc through my high end STR-DA5400ES AV Receiver is a firmware issue.  It  has to me because the STR-DA5400ES is even listed as an option on Samsung  TV Source setup.  

This is beyond frustrating.  This also means that the so called Universal Remove isn't "universal" as it won't change channels on the Contour Box.  

Samsung, I have a killer stereo,  bought what I thought was an amazing 82-inch TV and it's not dice running any apps or Samsung TV through my sterero.  I'm stuck with a lemon.

Any final thoughts?  This makes NO sense for either ARC or Optical to fail.

userKUazZ18fjm
Constellation

FAULT

The hdmi arc anynet+ gets locked up and won't reset until the power has been turned off at the wall.  

SOLUTION

Turn off "Samsung instant on"

Go to "Menu, System, General, Samsung Instant On" make sure it is off.

This will disable the functions that enable the tv to turn on quickly and it will pick up all of the connections that should be there.  I was also having all sorts of trouble with the wired internet connection, turning off "instant on" also fixed these issues.

userGFp98qWYdj
Constellation

Hope this helps all. I had the same problem with my Samsung tv and got mad and returned it for a TCL. Only problem I had the same issue with it. BUT the TCL website gave me the answers I needed. So I hope they help you all. The Samsung as many new tvs have a HDMI arc connection. They need to match to an HDMI arc soundbar or sound system. And here is what TCL told me. You have to use a highspeed HDMI with Ethernet cable or you will not get sound through it. I bought one and now it works perfectly. I also found out if your sound system does not have HDMI arc then you can use the HDMI cable and a optical cable together. One for sound and the other for the features like one remote controling volume and power. Hope this helps a lot of you. Good luck.