cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userADcfmnXLIA
Constellation

HW-K450/HW-K460 soundbar has stopped turning on, when I turn TV on

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I've been using the HW-K460 (though I think it usually goes by the namne of HW-K450) Samsung soundbar with my KU6405 Samsung TV. I'm using the soundbar with the SWA-8000S rear speakers.

I've bought the TV, soundbar and rear speakers all together for about 2,5 year ago. Until some days ago, I haven't had trouble with the soundbar. But suddenly the soundbar has stopped turning on when I turn my TV after having been shut off for some minutes. If I turn my TV off, the soundbar will turn off as well, and if I then turn the TV on again some seconds later, the soundbar will turn on. So it is only when the TV has been shut off for some minutes, that the soundbar doesn't respond.

Sometimes I have noticed, that the the sound bar turn on by itself 10-20 seconds after it has been shut off. It searches for the TV, but since it has been turned off, it doesn't find anything. Could this maybe be the reason, and that it disconnects from the TV, when the soundbar turns on by itself and sees there is no TV? If so, how come the soundbar turns on by itself?

I've tried multiple times to make sure that Bluetooth Power is ON. I've tried resetting my TV to factory, and also tried to reset the soundbar by using two methods (1: holding play / pause button down for 5 seconds. 2: holding the mute button down). Nothing has worked so far..

Any suggestions?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: HW-K450/HW-K460 soundbar has stopped turning on, when I turn TV on

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have good news, we now have a fix for the Soundbar not turning on by the TV via Bluetooth.

Here's the Fix:

1. Load software file (HMS-KS550WWB-1004.0.ROM) directly to the root directory of a USB flash drive.
  2. Power on the SB.  Connect the USB flash drive to the USB port on the SB.
  3. Press the Source button.  Software will upgrade automatically.  When it is completed, the SB will turn off.
  4. Initialize the SB: with the SB OFF, press the PLAY/PAUSE button on the remote for 5 seconds.  INIT will display.
  5. Turn on the SB.  Press the “Bluetooth Power” button the remote to and select “ON”.

This version will be available on the support page for your model. Just pull up the full model code on samsung.com and scroll down and click on "See All Support" to get to the downloads section. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

25 REPLIES 25
user6PRhG1jZlK
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same thing started for us about two weeks ago. Makes me wonder if some tv software update happened but that wouldn’t explain turning back on about 15 seconds later because the tv is off. 

userJKl3KhnfQX
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The same thing started happening with my j355 soundbar and k5600 TV about a month ago and seemed to coinside with a software update

userh3ptupkTrt
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have a HW-K360 that is exhibiting the exact same behavior......the failure to turn on with the TV (UN50KU6300) only happens when the soundbar has turned itself back on approximately 20-30 seconds after simultaneously turning off with the TV and then shuts itself back off after approximately 5 minutes.  (I have the latest firmware on both the TV and soundbar.)   Why is the soundbar turning itself back on when the TV is off???  I am only using  "TV Soundconnect".....no other inputs are connected to the soundbar.

MoonFrost
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Bump. 

Same issue is happening to me for like a week. I'm running the current tv firmware. Sometimes the soundbar turns on with tv, but it usually doesn't.

I turn off the TV, the sound bar turns off, but then the soundbar turns itself back on after 5 to 10 seconds with the message TV REQUEST. (TV is still off)

Samsung Soundbar model: HW-K450

Samsung tv model: UN50KU6300FXZA

userA91kAe1bLP
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the exact same problem and same hardware. 

UN50KU6300

HW-K550

Started a thread the other day before I found this one. Nice to know I'm not the only one with the problem. I found several others as well all started within the last few weeks as well. 

All these threads popping up at the same time suggest the problem lies in a software update.

Now what?

user7iPEyxkBD2
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am also having the same issue. I will try updating the firmware as soon as I get an adapter to connect a flash drive to the sound bar.

MoonFrost
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I was gonna try downgrading the firmware to the previous version via USB, apparently you cant do that.

Then was gonna try downloading firmware to speaker via usb, didn't realize you needed an adapter, which I dont have. sigh.

Guess i just have to wait for a tv firmware update and hope it fixes it.

userhJ3o8o6nRm
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same issue here...  My HW-K450 soundbar will turn itself back on a few seconds after my Samsung SUHD TV is turned off (the bar begins searching for the TV).  I’m hooked up via Samsung’s SoundConnect, and I started having problems a few weeks ago (prior to that, it’s been working perfectly for nearly 2-years).  Well, I got the USB adapter, updated the firmware, reinitialized, etc., and, nope, it didn’t fix the issue.  I also tried unplugging the bar, waiting over a minute, and still no solution. 

I subsequently had a long text chat with Samsung technical services, and we tried just about everything I already tried (firmware update, reinitialize, power down and up) including resetting the TV to its original factory setting to no avail (I have the most updated TV software).  Nothing worked; the bar is still turning itself back on.  The tech’s final “solution” was suggesting I take the bar to an authorized Samsung repair center to have it checked.  Very frustrating.  

I told the tech about this thread, and provided the link.  I don’t know if he’ll check it.  When I asked if a recent TV update could’ve caused the problem, he didn’t know.  I’m not sure what I’m going to do but I really don’t want to take my bar to a repair center.  I’m going to wait to see if any future TV or bar updates might fix this.  

UPDATE 1/28/2019:  Well, it looks like I may have resolved my issue (I say this tentatively).  Again, after updating the firmware, reinitializing, etc., the bar kept turning itself back on after turning off my TV.  Previously, I didn't have any issues for nearly two years until recently.  Anyway, I wondered if SoundConnect was the issue so I connected the bar via HDMI cable and it appears to be working:  It turns on/off with the TV, and doesn't turn itself back on after I turn the TV off!  I'd prefer to use SoundConnect; however, if this actually resolved the issue (and it looks like it has), then I'm good with it.  So my suggetion to other users with the same problem:  Update the firmware, see if that resolves the problem (if you're using SoundConnect), and, if not, try connecting via HDMI.  Hopefuly future firmware updates may resolve the wireless connection.  

Highlighted
MoonFrost
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Suggestion to anyone desperate enough to try, as im too lazy and don't want to finagle with my screen settings again as a colorblind person:

Disconnect your TV from the internet. Factory reset.

Go in the settings to disable auto update. 

On a computer download 1 version prior to the most current version of TV firmware for your TV model from Samsungs website to a USB thumb drive. (think you have to extract the file to the USB, there's youtube tutorials)

Plug USB drive into the TV and go to settings to update firmware. 

It should detect the USB stick and ask you if you want to search that USB stick for upgrade file, click yes. I would think that would successfully update to that firmware version, and in theory fix whatever the current issue is. Don't forget to make sure auto update is disabled before reconnecting to the internet. The reason you have to factory reset is because you can't force the TV to download firmware that is of a previous version, it will just say there are no updates available  

If you decide to do this, let us know if it worked. I don't have the energy to restore all my settings to try it myself.