JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

HW N850 soundbar distortion in smart mode

(Topic created: 05-09-2019 10:15 PM)
Options
Home Theater

i hope a samsung software engineer picks up on this topic. I just purchased a samsung soundbar hw n850. i also have a 4k samsung player ubd m8500. i have the player directly connected to the soundbar via hdmi, and the soundbar to the tv via hdmi. the soundbar seems to have issues processing dts audio. i spent a few hours with samsung support, checking software, resetting, and unplugging both devices... i even ended up exchanging the soundbar for the same model, but i have/had the exact same issue with both units . I tested two discs with dts  5.1 audio. With the 4k player set to bitsream unprocessed or auto (also bitstream), i get constant distortion from the right side speaker of the soundbar (left side is unaffected)  when the soundmode is set to smart mode. Again 2 different discs, both with dts audio with the soundmode set to smart mode. The same issue occurred on 2 brand new soundbars, same speaker (right side). when the sound mode is switched to surround or standard on the soundbar, the distortion goes away. Or if i change the sound output on the 4k player to pcm or re encode dolby digital, i can then use all sound modes without distortion. When the player is set to bitstream while listening to dolby digital or dolby atmos, there is no issue......also with DTS, there are minor audio sync issues, but can easily be adjusted with the sync setting on the soundbar. DTS X audio plays without distortion, but there are sync issues. Please help me find out whats causing this distortion. 

Thank you

12 Replies
usermLXq7r1Qws
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

How do you check that the software version is up to date?

0 Likes
userQlIcJwsIzn
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Hi, exactly same issue with my unit, if player or ps4 pro set to bitstream unprocessed (I noticed this affect DTS, DD and Atmos seems ok), I get constant distortion (crackling) from the right side speaker of the soundbar (left side is unaffected)  when the sound mode is set to smart mode (other modes not affected). So this is not a coincidence, looks like firmware issue (my unit has ver 1005.1 and seems this is last one released …) Can you please SAMSUNG fix this as according my feeling smart mode produced best sound experience. Thanks

useroPdIB5JLp6
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Returned as faulty and got the N950 instead, haven't looked back!

0 Likes