cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

HW-N950 Rears and Sub Cutting Out

My wireless rears and sub are cutting out during playback. They don't totally loose connectivity, they just cut in and out randomly.

I recently upgraded my router to an ASUS GT-AX11000 WiFi-6 router, and I've gone through every wireless setting I can think of, including turning off WiFi-6 and turning down signal strength on the 2.4Ghz network.

I've also attempted re-syncing the speakers. Nothing I try seems to be working. I also can't find any info on which frequency the speakers connect on.

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: HW-N950 Rears and Sub Cutting Out

The sub and rears connect in the 5Ghz range.

Turning off/down 5Ghz wifi in your home network can help.

If you have mesh network, 5Ghz backhaul can cause problems also. Hardwiring the backhaul can help with that.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Testing by dropping signal strength on 5Ghz network. I dropped it from full power to mid last night and it was still cutting out. Testing now one notch above 'Power Saving'. I'll report back. 

I can't be the only one experiencing this.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Others have posted on avsforum about this with Samsung and other brand soundbars that use wireless speakers.

One of the most common problems has been with 5Ghz wireless interference.

Be careful of having your wifi router too close to your soundbar setup.

Easiest test is to turn off your router and wifi temporarily.

I ended up turning off 5Ghz in my router and switching all my smart devices to connect to the 2.4Ghz network when I had my K950. My N950 has been fine with the wifi set up this way.

Some people have had success by using different 5Ghz channels on their router, or on the soundbar if it's changeable there. We don't have channel option on our Samsungs.

Be particularly careful if you have a mesh network like Orbi. The interference can be from 5Ghz used on the backhaul. Some people switched to a hardwired backhaul to fix the problem.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

I'm at my wits end. Thinking about scrapping this all together.

I turned off my 2nd 5Ghz network, and dropped my primary 5Ghz to 'Power Savings' (The lowest power option), and turned off WiFi-6 and 160Mhz channel bandwidth, still cutting out.

I had my old AC-1900 router setup as an AiMesh node, but that's been disabled for months, it used one of the 5Ghz bands as backhaul. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

If you haven't already, can you temporarily turn off your primary 5Ghz equipment, then physically unplug all your N950 components, then plug in your N950 like for first setup? Sub, rears, then main bar.

Also just checking, it's just the sub and rears cutting out, and not the entire audio?

Some devices might have a sync or bandwidth issue. My Zidoo X9S seems to do an occasional resync when playing movies with Atmos audio. Sometimes a resync can be long enough to cause a split second audio dropout.

I don't think I've seen that with my PC, Nvidia Shield, or Oppo. My X9S, PC, and Shield go through an autoswitch to the Oppo which feeds the N950. So it could be anywhere in the chain. Haven't bothered to track it down yet.

Another thing, for a while my K950 would keep popping up a "wifi connected" message. I had wondered if it could impact sub/rear connectivity. When I got my N950, I turned off wifi on the soundbar just in case since I don't use it.

You could try temporarily disabling soundbar wifi. Press and hold the ID Set button on the bottom of the soundbar until you see a message "wifi off". Do this while soundbar is powered up IIRC.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

I'm running some tests today in the background while I work using my XBOX OneX as a source instead of the built-in apps.

Kids are remote learning today, so tinkering with WiFi isn't an option ATM.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Ok, good luck.

I saw one post on avsforum saying that turning down the 5Ghz power made a very slight improvement vs. turning off.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

It's odd. I tested before on my XBOX, and the issue presented itself. Last night I watched an entire Atmos movie (Project Power), and it didn't cut out once. 

I'm going to dig around and test another HDMI cable for ARC today.

I hope this thread helps someone else, once I find a solution I'll note it here. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

Also might be possible that your router autoswitched to a 5Ghz channel that has less impact on your sub connection.

One test could be to turn off your router, fire up your N950 - perhaps even with the soundbar and router in close proximity, then power up the router.

If the router autoselects from multiple 5Ghz channels and sees the N950's 5Ghz, it could pick a different channel.

Better yet would be if you can log in to your router and preselect the channel.