cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

HW-N950 Subwoofer too loud

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I've seen a lot of threads of people not getting enough sound from their sub. For me, the issue is the other way around. The sub is too loud. Even on -12, it drowns out the rest of the sound. It also make a rumble sort of noise, instead of a clean bass. 

With too loud I mean: Watching the Amaze ATMOS trailer and when the lightning boom comes, you can hear the doors and glass vibrate, even with bass on -6 and sub on -12.

Now, I've done the "sub-crawl" where you place the sub on the seat where you're normally sitting, play a continuous bass sound and crawl around the room for the best placement (where the bass sounds the way youn want it to hear) NEarly everywhere in my room, the sub is even louder. There are 2 places where it is least loud: In the middle of the room (not an option as that is the walkway to the garden) and in the open kitchen next to the living room. So my sub is lying in the kitchen at the moment, just because this gives the least bass (but still loud on ATMOS sources with sub on -12 and bass on -6) 

I'm not sure if the sub volume power was increased in the latest firmware update. If so, is it possible to downgrade to an earlier version? Or perhaps add further steps to decrease the subs volume? I am expecting a sub to be adding a subtle bass to the rest of the sound field without being able to determine where your sub speaker is. At this moment, when the sub kicks in, you can find it with your eyes closed due to the high volume. 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: HW-N950 Subwoofer too loud

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I noticed that I had a new firmware update which seems to have fixed the problem (at the same time I moved my TV 10 cm te the right, also moving the sub 10 cm to the right) But I think it's the new firmware (1007.5) that did the trick. Also, the soundbar doesn't turn off anymore when pausing Netflix :-D Thank you Samsung!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I believe this may be more related to the room than the sub. I would try a rubber mat or yoga pad under the subwoofer. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks, I'll try that. Any ideas on how the sub should be faced? Like would upside down or sideways give any change? I've tried some positions but it didn't sound different, but maybe I've overlooked something.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It depends on the floor and room composition. I would go ahead and get the mat then try it on it's side, facing towards you and facing towards the wall to see which works best. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I noticed that I had a new firmware update which seems to have fixed the problem (at the same time I moved my TV 10 cm te the right, also moving the sub 10 cm to the right) But I think it's the new firmware (1007.5) that did the trick. Also, the soundbar doesn't turn off anymore when pausing Netflix :-D Thank you Samsung!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I wish I had that problem. The N650 and both Q60 subwoofers SUCK. The sub doesn't even get a signal through optical input. Have to use it on BT. Virtually no bass at low volume even with treble turned all the way down with bass and sub all the way up. I would LOVE to have your problem. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Unfortunately, after a reset of the soundbar, the soundbar again shuts down after 5 minutes of pausing Netflix. Subwoofer still sounds good though!