JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

HW-N950 unable to update firmware

(Topic created on: 10/17/18 5:00 AM)
userDude
Halo
Options
Home Theater

I have the HW-N950 and it says the firware version is 1001.2 (I think) in the SmartThings app.  When I check for updates in the app it spins for a bit and then tells me there are no updates available.  When I check the support page for the soundbar, it says there is a new firmware update (1003, I think).

I'm having some connection issues and wanted to be sure I was on the latest firmware.  How can I update my soundbar?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Home Theater

@ userAWixhjHj6g You can update via USB. Here is the link with the firmware file: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/2018-soundbar-w-dolby-atmos-hw-n950 . After downloading and unzipping the file, power off the unit, plug the USB drive in the port and power on. It should automatically pull the firmware from the drive. 

0 Likes
userDude
Halo
Options
Home Theater

@Anonymous wrote:

@ userAWixhjHj6g You can update via USB. Here is the link with the firmware file: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/2018-soundbar-w-dolby-atmos-hw-n950 . After downloading and unzipping the file, power off the unit, plug the USB drive in the port and power on. It should automatically pull the firmware from the drive. 

I have tried this and it didn't seem to do anything.  Should there be some indication on the soundbar that it is updating the firmware?  Are there any requirements for what type of USB device I can use?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Home Theater

There would be an indicator. After you completed the update, did the unit power itself off? A standard USB flash drive is fine. 

0 Likes
userDude
Halo
Options
Home Theater

@Anonymous wrote:

There would be an indicator. After you completed the update, did the unit power itself off? A standard USB flash drive is fine. 

The update never started, so no.

0 Likes
Tailgunner747
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

I have even tried putting the Update download unzipped on USB thumb drive and plugging it into soundbar but Nothing happens this way either to Update to 1003.  So tell us both what we are doing Wrong.  The whole unit was not to my liking.  Cannot turn up the surround speakers so can hear them.  Just turns up volume on soundbar and the drowns out the surrounds that you can Barely hear.

0 Likes
Solution
William Petri
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Hello! I found out the answer through trial and error!

After downloading the update, you need to unzip the file. Then copy ONLY the last file in all the folders (none of the actual folders themselves!!!) onto the USB drive. Turn off the Soundbar, then insert the USB drive into the bottom. As soon as you insert the drive, turn on the Soundbar with the remote. The update will start, and the screen will flash update!

View solution in context

userDude
Halo
Options
Home Theater

@William Petri wrote:

After downloading the update, you need to unzip the file. Then copy ONLY the last file in all the folders (none of the actual folders themselves!!!) onto the USB drive. Turn off the Soundbar, then insert the USB drive into the bottom. As soon as you insert the drive, turn on the Soundbar with the remote. The update will start, and the screen will flash update!

Thank you.  I will try this tonight and let you know how I make out.

0 Likes
SamsungJam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Home Theater

Please keep us posted!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
userDude
Halo
Options
Home Theater

@William Petri wrote:

This worked!  This seems to be the correct way to update the firmware on the HW-N950 manually.

I marked this as the solution even though my issue really isn't solved.  I mean, I was able to update the firmware this way, but I still don't know why I can't update it over wifi.

0 Likes
Tailgunner747
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

This worked for me to install update with the 1 big file on USB drive.

0 Likes