Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Naej
Asteroid

HW-N950 - virtual on/off

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi,

I would like to know what the following means :

"If Surround Speakers are connected, select REAR LEVEL or REAR TOP LEVEL, and then
use the Up/Down buttons to adjust the volume within a -6 to +6 range. The REAR
SPEAKER function can be turned VIRTUAL ON/OFF by using the Up/Down buttons."

This is from the manual by the way, no further explanation is given. It's not very clear.

Thank you in advance.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
usercXr0C7LFH6
Constellation

Re: HW-N950 - virtual on/off

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You are absolutely right, those answers were bogus and i could have made things easier for you concerning your second question, the bass level on the soundbar refers to the “bass” coming out of the soundbar speakers and not the subwoofer, let’s say you wanna use the soundbar without the subwoofer, that way you’re able to have somewhat control of the bass level on the entire thing. When it comes to the SW on the remote, that’s specific for the subwoofer.

But like you, i have been struggling for weeks now trying to find out what the virtual on/off is and looked everywhere with no avail.

if you figure it out then let me know, thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
Naej
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi again,

While I'm at it, got another question :

What is the difference between the bass setting on the soundbar (-6 to +6) and the woofer setting on the remote control (-12 to +6 if I recall well) ?

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I believe the statement in the manual is a generalization of our Samsung Soundbars. Some soundbars will allow you to adjust and go to -12 and some others will allow you to go to -6. Basically, you toggle the woofer button up to go to +6 and toggle it down to go to -6. Press the woofer button to go to 0.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Naej
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you but that does not really answer my question.

And what about my first post regarding the "virtual on/off" ?

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm not entirely sure where the disconnect is. When I stated "they are the same thing" I was referring to the range of the volume from -6 to 6. When it comes to the Bass and the Woofer, it mapped out in the manual that the Woofer button controls the Subwoofer. The Treble, BASS, Synce, Center Level, Side Level, Front Top Level, Rear Level, Rear Top Level and VIRTUAL ON/OFF; effects the soundbar. The Surround option is selected from the SOUND MODE button while the Virtual Mode is turned on from the Sound Control button. It may benefit you more to visit our Samsung Shop Experience at your local Best Buy so they can go over these features in person. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The short version; there is no difference. They're the same thing when it comes to the volume of the subwoofer. Regarding your 1st concern, this is how you control the volume for certain modes. The only mode that does not have volume settings is the VIRTUAL mode. It only has an on and off. For example, if you would like to adjust the Rear Level, you would press the Sound Control button and cycle all the way to Rear Level. And then use the Up/Down buttons to adjust the volume within a -6 to +6 range.

Naej
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi,

I'm sorry but I'm not satisfied with the answers given. I can give a certain value to the bass setting and a completely different value to the woofer setting, which means they aren't tied and aren't the same thing. Same goes for the virtual setting, if I put the sound mode of the soundbar to "SURROUND", it doesn't affect the value of the "VIRTUAL ON/OFF" setting and vice versa. This is either very poor design or it simply means they are different settings doing different things.

No offense here but I feel like we are getting answers from people who don't really know the products. I mean you know them enough to give common answers to common problems, but when you get really specific questions on a particular product, the answers are vague at best. It's just sad that we cannot get a precise answer from the people who conceived the products, especially if those questions are being asked again and again (in this case though, if the manual of the product was detailed enough regarding the features and settings, like it should be, there would be no need for such questions).

usercXr0C7LFH6
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You are absolutely right, those answers were bogus and i could have made things easier for you concerning your second question, the bass level on the soundbar refers to the “bass” coming out of the soundbar speakers and not the subwoofer, let’s say you wanna use the soundbar without the subwoofer, that way you’re able to have somewhat control of the bass level on the entire thing. When it comes to the SW on the remote, that’s specific for the subwoofer.

But like you, i have been struggling for weeks now trying to find out what the virtual on/off is and looked everywhere with no avail.

if you figure it out then let me know, thanks.

Naej
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Sure thing man, thank you for answering ! I'll let you know if I ever find out about this feature ^_^

userSu9sFiUzj5
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Samsung users typically have more knowledge than the moderators because we actually use the product day in  and out.

there technical manual is probably shorter than the manual we were given with the product.

heres my shot in the dark about the virtual Mode on and off.

i have noticed some slight punchiness and slight clearer vocals when playing a non-Dolby movie or track. It tries to virtualize the Dolby effects. But while

olaying Dolby or DTa there is no difference because it uses all the drivers and the software the way there meant to be used.