cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user0paNjIG9Tb
Constellation

HW-Q60R Soundbar Subwoofer Issues

New HW-Q60R subwoofer installed a few days ago. Connected to a Samsung Series 6 670D 65" TV. Sole audio/video input to the system is via a Roku 4 over HDMI to the Soundbar. TV is connected to the Soundbar via HDMI (ARC). Subwoofer is paired wirelessly to the Soundbar.

Issues:

1) Subwoofer sounds "muddy". Bass is not sharp at all. Subwoofer is located about 7" from the same wall on which the TV is mounted. It is not in a corner. It is adjacent to the TV.

2) Subwoofer volume seems somewhat muted. Increasing the level with the Soundbar remote doesn't seem to do much.

3) And here is the weird one - the subwoofer responds to volume changes about 30 seconds after they are made. For instance, if I am listening at a low volume level and then increase the volume, the bass does not increase until about 30 seconds later. Likewise, if I am listening loudly and then decrease the volume, the bass remains loud and boomy for about 30 seconds before decreasing in volume.

Any thoughts as to what might be going on here and what can be done? I really want to like this thing but, if it keeps acting weird, it is going back to Best Buy.

Thanks in advance for any help.

6 REPLIES 6
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: HW-Q60R Soundbar Subwoofer Issues

Let's take this one thing at a time.

If the current set up is Roku>Soundbar>TV, ARC isn't being used or necessary.

As far as the muddy and muted sound, place the subwoofer in your preferred seating position. Turn it up to your preferred level and play something you would normally listen to, then walk around the room, corners and otherwise until you find the place with the correct bass. Place the subwoofer at this place.

There will be a delay when adjusting the bass level, it's going through multiple systems while processing information simultaneously. 

user0paNjIG9Tb
Constellation

Thank you for your feedback.

Regarding the setup - I think you may be correct. I am connected to the HDMI IN (ARC) connection on the TV. When the Soundbar Input is set to D.IN, it displays TV ARC. That led me to think I was using the ARC. In the current setup, the soundbar now displays HDMI, which suggests it is getting the audio from the Roku (maybe?). The signal path is not clear.

In the setup described above, I also have Anynet+ setup. It seems to work with both the Roku and the Soundbar. I use the TV's remote control to control the volume on the Soundbar.

The muddy sound is not related to the position of the sub; this isn't a room effect. I am familiar with the process you outline. We did initially have it in a convenient corner but moved it out for better sound. The installation instructions, as well as pictures on Samsung's website, suggest the sub should be placed relatively near the TV and close to the same plane. We did this because, when it was in the corner, we could hear some low frequency dialog/effects coming from behind us, not from the vicinity of the TV.

When the sub is sounding muddy (kind of like it is underwater), it really does sound extremely muffled. Interestingly, if it is sounding like this, changing the volume with the Soundbar's remote seems to possible correct it immediately; more testing is needed. Changing the volume with the TV's remote doesn't seem to affect it until about 30 seconds elapses. Note that this is adjusting the entire volume, not just the sub woofer's volume. It is not clear why changing the volume with the Soundbar's remote would be any different than changing the volume with the TV's remote. Again, the signal paths being employed here are not clear.

I looked in the TV's menus for any settings that could be tweaked; most of them are not available because the TV is defaulting to the Soundbar.

I have also noticed that the range of settings on the subwoofer (-6 to +6) do not seem to change the sound much. Should there be a large change in bass from one extreme to the other? Or should it be subtle?

Thank you.

userYE6uQlxZNz
Constellation

I just purchase this system yesterday and I'm having similar issues. The bass seems low and not loud enough to make system function. Seems off, like little to no bass affects. 

Have you found a solution to this?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello! 

Please try the following link and let us know if this helps: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01109875/​​​​​​​

user0paNjIG9Tb
Constellation

The only thing we have found that works is to use the soundbar's own remote. Using that seems to get the sub volume in sync with the rest of the soundbar. Using the TV's remote just doesn't work right.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

That's good to hear! Keep us updated.