cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Asteroid

HW-Q800t and Xbox Atmos issue, no sound

I have this issue with my Xbox One X and Xbox Series X where if I set the output to Dolby atmos for home theater it sounds great until I change apps or games, then sound will completely stop on my HW-Q800t. I have the Xbox wired to the soundbar, then to my tv. Video never stops, just audio. If I have the sound output set to anything besides Atmos, this doesn't happen. Even DTS:X works fine with no issues. If I reboot the soundbar, it will work again, or if I change the sound output of the Xbox, it will work again. It seems to be a signal issue and I can't tell if it's the Xbox or the soundbar. I've tried it on two Xboxes now so I don't think it's a hardware issue there. I've also tried multiple HDMI cables and that didn't help. I have the latest soundbar firmware from October. I also have the SWA-9000s rears. They work fine until sound completely stop from the entire soundbar. Does anyone else have this soundbar with an Xbox and have this issue?

21 REPLIES 21
Constellation

Re: HW-Q800t and Xbox Atmos issue, no sound

I'm haveing some issues with this sound bar as well when Atmos is enabled I get 1 second audio drops every 15 or so min! I have the sound bar connected via earc directly to tv and my Xbox connected to port 4 hdmi 2.1 

Cosmic Ray

i'm having the same problem.  it occurs when game mode comes on and then off or if i switch to the tv apps.  i've been manually switch the sound bar source to reconnect it but the samsung starts changing smart settings on me.       do you know if there is a difference in sound between game and surrond mode?   i usually prefer to not having any artifical sound enhancements which i assume game mode is doing.   the last thing i want is faux surrond sound.  

Asteroid

I don't know what the difference between game mode and surround mode is, I always leave mine in game mode. From what I recall game and surround will output Atmos if the signal is received but standard will not. I wish I had another device to test this to see if it's the soundbar or the Xbox. I feel like it's a firmware thing that happened in August but I only had the soundbar for a week before I got that update so I might not have noticed it before that.

Asteroid

I'm having the same issue here with the exact same set up - Xbox Series X to Q800T soundbar to TV.
It works perfectly fine until I switch back to the game and then the sound just disappears. 
I've noticed whenever Dolby Atmos is active in Netflix etc, the sound bar will actually display "Dolby Atmos" and changing the Sound Mode (Game Mode etc.) is not available. 
I can't seem to pinpoint what is happening here and the DTS:X alternative sound pretty bad on Xbox.

Has anyone found a fix to this?

Asteroid

Well, at least I know I'm not the only one with sound stopping. The Xbox outputs a constant DTS:X signal but only Atmos with Atmos content. This is fine if sound wouldn't stop all together when switching apps or games. If I reboot the soundbar, sounds comes back. If I change sound output on the Xbox, sound comes back.  It seems like a handshake issue between the soundbar and the Xbox and I can't tell which is at fault. 

Cosmic Ray

I can't even get DTS:X as an option. it says my reciever can't decode it.  I've tried it setup through e-arc and my XSX plugged directly into it but then i lose VRR.   i didn't realize how nice VRR was until i switched plugging it into my soundbar.   The only thing i have figured out is that the sound sometimes needs to be manually switched to pass-through instead of auto on my Q80T 

Cosmic Ray

I contacted xbox support yesterday and got no where after an hour.  they kept asking me the basic questions of how it was setup and if the content was atmos.    like everyone else i've been flipping my sound output on the XSX between atmos and dolby digital.   my 80T doesn't passthrough DTS so i don't have it as an option.  

Asteroid

I'm in the Xbox Insider program and thought that was part of the problem so I reported it multiple times. Then I got the new Series X and didn't enroll it immediately and it still had the Atmos issue.

Asteroid

So I read on another forum that people were fixing the issue by turning everything off, disconnecting/reconnecting all the cables and turning it all back on. Weirdly, that worked - I can enable Dolby Atmos on the Xbox and the sound doesn't disappear anymore.

However, I can't help but feel this has just tricked the systems. Because when starting the game, I'm still able to change the Sound Modes (which I shouldn't be able to do in Dolby Atmos) and the Dolby Atmos doesnt display when enabled on the Xbox like it does on Netflix etc. 

Also, when I wire it Xbox to TV to Soundbar instead, the Dolby Atmos does display on the Q800T and I can't change the Sound Mode again, but that awful sound delay kicks in!

So, I'm stumped... but it's kinda working? /shrug