cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

HW-Q80R popping with eARC (1010.5)

When playing content over eARC, an intermittent pop/crack can be heard. Confirmed issue occurs when playing over native TV apps as well as Roku Ultra device.

Non-app specific, as issue confirmed on Netflix, Hulu, Disney+.

Firmware of soundbar updated to 1010.5.

Issue does not occur when using soundbar via passthrough method (Device->Soundbar->TV), so isolated issue to eARC method. Replace HDMI cables, changed wireless signals, moved router/modem, moved subwoofer did not fix issue either.

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: HW-Q80R popping with eARC (1010.5)

I am also hearing an intermittent popping/cracking with eARC on a HW-Q90R which might be the same issue since they are both running the same firmware. For me, it's only happening with Atmos content. Popping/cracking sounds like it comes from the center channel. This is with a Samsung Q80t TV using just the built-in apps. Heard popping/cracking in Netflix and Vudu using built-in apps. Also have an Xbox 1 x with set to bitstream all audio output as Atmos and it does the same thing. TV is set for "auto" with buil-in apps and "passthrough" for the XB1X.

I have not heard any popping/cracking from any non-Atmos audio sources that I'm aware of. The built-in TV streaming apps are using lossy Atmos via Dolby Digital+ but normal Dolby Digital+ seems to be fine. The TV has a setting for external devices that support Atmos (which the manual says not to use when eARC is set to passthrough). I've tried it with the setting on and off, audio is still cracking. The XB1X is supposedly outputting uncompressed audio with Atmos metadata. It outputs all audio this way when set to bitstream Atmos (even if the pre-conversion source audio is lossy). I haven't tested bitstreaming lossless audio codecs from blu-rays yet so I'm not sure if the popping/cracking occurs with them. I'm also not sure if the Atmos audio output from the XB1X is lossless/uncompressed. XB1 also has the option to output uncompressed 5.1 and 7.1 PCM audio which is NOT working over eARC and not working with a Nintendo Switch either. But thats a different issue. 

There is no popping if I disable eARC on the TV and instead use plain old ARC. Even with dolby digital+ lossy Atmos streams. It's only an eARC issue. This is how I have it right now. Somebody at AVSforum mentions the popping/static eARC issue on 1010.5 too. With the popping issue on Atmos and no uncompressed 5.1/7.1 PCM compatibility, eARC on the HW-Qx0R is currently unusable. 

UPDATE: As others have said, the popping actually occurs in all audio formats. It's not limited to Atmos like I originally thought, I can hear the occasional popping regardless of content. I haven't tried uncompressed 5.1/7.1 PCM since it isn't working over eARC with my TV (and that's probably the TV, and not the soundbar.. but I have no way of testing). The popping does go away if I turn off eARC and use regular ARC but I get pretty bad audio sync issues with my Xbox One X using regular ARC. I don't want to plug directly into the soundbar because then I lose VRR and the whole point of using eARC was to get lossless/uncompressed audio without the sync problems and get VRR too.

I do have a theory about why the popping is occuring. Audio/video sync is mandatory with eARC and I have a feeling that the popping is a side effect of keeping it in sync. 

Highlighted
Constellation

I am having the same cracking issue with the HW-Q90R after the update using eARC. It happens very loudly when I simply turn on the TV with no sound. When I switch it back to the regular ARC through the TV it doesn't ever seem to be a problem. The TV is LG C9 OLED. I did not notice whether this was happening with atmos content or not but it seems to  be somewhat random b/c it works periodically and even with atmos from netflix? But I had to disable the eARC b/c of this issue.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Agreed, this seems to happen for me regardless of if the content has Atmos or not. Reverting eARC back to ARC the popping problem does not occur, but then other issues that have plauged ARC come back into play like AV sync lag, so that's not an acceptable solution. Can we get confirmation from the Samsung team this is a known issue from the 1010.5 FW update for HW-QX0R soundbars?

Highlighted
Astronaut

Hey there, I meet the same problem. I bought an HW-Q80R days ago, and I have an Xbox one X and Shield TV 2019 directly connect to the soundbar via HDMI. I updated the firmware to 1010.5.
It seems like it happened to any contents, not just Atmos. While I am playing any streams(Netflix, Prime Videos) or games, all have some possibilities to hear some noticeable intermittent popping/cracking.
I tried to change my HDMI cables to Premium HDMI cables and attempted to shift the 5G wifi channel or turn off the router, but all useless.
I hope Samsung will release a new firmware as soon as possible.

Highlighted
Constellation

Hi, I have the same problem, I hear "crack" on eARC connection. My HW-Q80R is connected to QLED Q70T TV.  Samsung Team are you going to solve this issue? Because it seems that there is a problem with the firmware indeed. 

Highlighted
Constellation

My QLED Q60R has the same problem irrespective of content. It sounds more like mechanical parts cracking/clicking. Anybody aware of any solutions yet? I tried messaging service on Samsung website, but it always takes me to the automated response by the chat bot that responds with some directions on ventilation and stuff which is not helpful at all.

Highlighted
Astronaut

Just chiming in with the same issue on the HW-Q90R.  There's a clicking noise that is now frequently happening in the left rear speaker when watching Atmos content on 4K blu-rays.  I don't have any issues playing audio from the TV apps or non-Atmos soundtracks on the blu-rays.

Highlighted
Astronaut

My set up is a HW-Q80R with a samsung Q6. I first started noticing while watching a movie through my Sony UBP-X1100ES. I thought it was because I was set up with 7.1 (dts or dolby) but switched it to the appropriate 5.1 and still noticed popping.
I have audio and video split channels so one channel goes directly to the soundbar and the other goes directly to my TV. I thought maybe it was the input and tried switching it around on the soundbar. nothing changed, still popped.
I then realized that it was popping through any native TV apps I had (Netflix, hbo, Hulu, etc.) so that means it was happening through ARC input as well. so not an input issue unless they are all flawed (unlikely).
also note that it pops when on ADA, surround, and game. I never use stereo but il assume it does it on there as well. I read that this could be an issue with the mixing levels so I turned down the center speaker volume. no change.
I am at a loss on if this is hardware or software related. I cannot remember if this happened immediately but I started noticing it at about 2 months when I purchased the Sony UHD player and started being extra nitpicky.
last thing to note here is that I have NEVER noticed this happen whilst playing music. not via ARC on spotify native TV app. not through Bluetooth. not through WIFI.
As far as my minimal knowledge takes me, it must be some sort of surround sound codec error only with movies and shows. even when I play my music on surround (upscaling) nothing pops.

I really hope samsung can get this figured out because spending a grand on a piece of equipment like this and having such an issue is unacceptable.
I LOVE the sound quality and everything else about it. the only other issue I had was when the WIFI mode simply stopped working. but then fixed itself a week later.

samsung,
please respond to anyone in this thread and let us know if you are looking into the issue or not.
thanks
Highlighted
Constellation

Same issue here, occasional but random crack with HW-Q80R, 1010.5. Absolutely needs to be fixed...