cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

HW-Q90R & HDMI Switch

Has anyone found an HDMI switch that actually works with the HW-Q90R soundbar? I've tried two different switches from Amazon that claim 4K/UHD/Atmos support and on both the soundbar doesn't detect any input when switching sources. If I unplug and plug the HDMI switch back in the soundbar picks up the input properly, but that's not a reliable (or even desireable) solution.

Since it's happened with two switches I'm beginning to think it's the soundbar and not the switch, but I'm curious if anyone has found a switch that works as expected.

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: HW-Q90R & HDMI Switch

I  havehave Ithe Q90R. I tried the kinivo 550bn and awake lion fw2501 and both do the same frustersting thing. First I plug in everything and then pull the power on the HDMI box. That resets everything. Otherwise I won't have audio or the fire stick will be in 720 instead of 1080. I can switch between the inputs fine.  However, if I switch inputs on the speaker, such as to connect via wifi for Spotify, the speaker resorts back to not playing audio and the fire stick goes back to 720.  It is the speaker not working right. This is frustersting!  Wish I had just bought a real component speaker system that includes an amp with the proper number of HDMI inputs. (not just 2). Good luck.  

Highlighted
Asteroid

I have a Samsung HW-Q90R soundbar connected to a LG OLED55B8PUA TV. I bought this Univivi 5-port HDMI switcher from Amazon for $39.99 and it works great.  It will auto select the input when the device connected to that input is turned on and was selected as a Amazon's Choice product. I have the HDMI ARC input on my TV connected to the HDMI ARC on my soundbar.  I have the output of the Univivi HDMI switcher connected to another HDMI input on my TV.  I have a Samsung Blu-ray player connected to an input on the HDMI switcher.  Whenever I start to play a Blu-ray disk that contains Dolby Atmos, I will see the words "Dolby Atmos" scroll by on the soundbar's LED s and even though my TV doesn't have HDMI eARC, it is able to pass a compressed Dolby Atmos over the HDMI ARC to the soundbar and it sound great. I have tried connecting a Blu-ray player directly to one of the soundbar's inputs and listen to uncompressed Dolby Atmos and I really can't tell any difference; the compressed sounds just as good to me.

If any owners of LG OLED TVs are looking for the best soundbar for their TV, the Samsung HW-Q90R is the one to get; it sounds great and I was surprised at how well it integrated with my LG TV.  Using the HDMI ARC connection between the two, when I turn on my TV using the LG Magic remote control the soundbar also turns on and will automatically go to the HDMI ARC input.  The volume buttons on the LG Magic remote can aslo be used to control the volume on the Samsung soundbar. When I turn off the TV using the LG remote, the soundbar also turns off.   After connecting the HDMI ARC from the TV to the soundbar HDMI ARC, you just need to make the following settings on your LG OLED TV and Blu-ray player.

LG TV Settings

SETTINGS, sound, sound out, HDMI ARC

SETTINGS, general, SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC), general, ON

SETTINGs, general, SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC),  Auto Power Sync, ON

SAMSUNG Blu-ray Player Settings:

SETTINGS, sound, digital output, bitstream (unprocessed)

Univivi HDMI 2.0 Switch 4k@60Hz HDMI Switcher 5-Port 5x1 Switch Distributor Support HDR & HDCP 2.2 Pass-Through & 3D Visual Effect with Remote Control and Power Supply [Upgraded 2.0 Version]

Highlighted
Constellation

Thank you for this post. I also have an LG TV, bought the Univivi switch recommended here, and found that the two integrate very well with the Samsung soundbar.  I am very grateful that I found your information in this post.

Highlighted
Constellation

I wonder if the Kinivo and the Univivi HDMI switches are the same product.

they look almost the same.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Following up on this - I found a switch that works! It's the EZCOOTECH HDMI 2.0 Switch 4x1 - $40 on Amazon.

The only thing that's a bit of a pain to tweak is turning off auto-switching on the switch; you have to make a console connection and issue a command. It's not  that big of a problem unless you have devices turning on in the middle of watching something, but it's annoying when it happens.

Highlighted
Asteroid

@SQLDBA Hope I get a response since this was updated less than a week ago. I have tried 5 (FIVE!!) hdmi switches to have my devices connected directly to the soundbar: PS4Pro, Nintendo Switch (which only sends PCM), PC (which only sends PCM for games), and Apple TV 4K. All of the switches I've gotten do what you described in your original post (ps4 or appleTV going back to 1080p instead of 4k, or no sound and no image). 

Is this config (4 devices sending PCM 5.1 to soundbar IN, and soundbar OUT to TV) similar to what you have? Does the switch really work by just switching between inputs from the switcher while the soundbar is in HDMI mode?

Thanks for finding this switch (if it really works)!

Highlighted
Asteroid

Yes, the EZCOOTECH switch has 4 HDMI in, 1 HDMI out, plus a SPDIF port out. For me its been as simple as plug everything into the switch, plug the switch into HDMI 1 on the soundbar. The s. As far as I can tell from the specs, the switch supports LPCM 2.1, 5.1, and 7.1CH over HDMI for audio.

Asteroid

Is this it?

https://www.amazon.com/Switch-Dolby-Vision-Audio-Breakout/dp/B07VQ5S5CW

Just to make sure cause the EZCOOTECH name doesn't show on it.

Thanks for helping me out!

Highlighted
Asteroid

That's the one I bought!