cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: HW-Q90r subwoofer distortion

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Unfortunately, no.  I can say that I've had fewer problems since I starting this thread.  But realized that the issue is still present for certain sources.  FiOS TV, Blu-ray and YouTube content all seem to work perfectly.  But I still occasionally get distortion while gaming on Xbox and constantly while using the Apple+ app.  

Because of this I'm thinking it's not a hardware problem.  Has to be in the software somewhere.  

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

From my own experience with my q90r unit, I have pinpointed the subwoofer popping/crackle noise to be attributed to WiFi interference. I have the Orbi mesh system and at first I tried to turn off my 5Ghz to see if it that does the trick but the noise persisted. Only through more research, I found the issue to be the wireless backhaul the orbi uses to commute between the router and its sattelite. Mine was using channel 161 ish which is very close to channel 165 (5.8 ghz) which the q90r uses for connecting the subwoofer to the bar. After forcing my orbi to default to channel 100 for its backhaul, I have not had any pop or crackle from the subwoofer since. Hopefully this helps someone whos having the same issue. 

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I was wrestling with this issue for a few weeks until this forum raised the issue might be wifi interference on the 5Ghz channels near 165. It's rather annoying but I'm confident I've solved it for myself.

I have a Linksys Velop mesh network.

I set the soundbar up to continuously play sound. I had to do this using a steam link as all my other inputs come in over WiFi (you'll see why in a sec). I checked to make sure sound was coming out all the satellites.

Next, using the Linksys app on my phone, I used the channel finder function to scan the airwaves and find the best channel for it to function on. This turns off the wifi while it does this. It takes a few minutes.

Once it completed it had switched all the Velop nodes to the unused channels that my soundbar wasn't close to using.  This has completely removed intermittent crackling and popping I was seeing beforehand. Such a relief after paying so much money.

Hope this helps someone else.

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

How were you able to find out it uses channel 165? I have tried many things including placement and turning off my Orbi system, but I still get pops. Turning it backwards so the electronics side was line of sight to the soundbar did seem to help, but not perfect. There are other 5ghz networks nearby, but none that register utilization on the higher channels. Is there a program you used that shows backhaul utilization? I'm using inSSIDer and I can see hidden and non-hidden networks nearby, but little utilization, and none on 161 or 165.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Wao it really works i just changed the channel on my 5gz signal and the noise it seen to go away ,I just got the new HW-Q950T soundbar even that subwoofer was making some noise too, but it went away when i changed the channel  ,thanks for the infomation.

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I had a similar problem where my subwoofer was occasionally experiencing a low distortion when the bass got heavy and would sometimes even cut out but I lived with it for about 6 months. One day I just couldn't stand it anymore and decided to call Samsung - they sent a technician over to my house to check it out and upon seeing and hearing what was happening, he immediately suspected it was a pairing and channel setting issue for the sub and the rears to the soundbar (possibly getting interference due to all the wifi all over the place - not just mine but my neighbours' etc). So he re-paired and set the channel for the sub and rears and now my soundbar sounds better than it ever has in the last 6 months. Bass is smooth, deep and rich, surround is amazing, music is full bodied and all around. I don't know why I didn't get them to come 6 months earlier than I did! So give them a call and see if you can get a professional service tech to come and give your soundbars a check, re-pairing and calibration, just might be what you need. And just in case that's not an option for you, the tech told me that if I was doing it myself, he says it's a must to bring the sub, rears and soundbar all right next to each other when pairing - this means bringing your soundbar, rears and sub within a few inches of each other, and then doing the pairing. Then, after they're all paired and working, re-locate them to where you want them to be - that's what he did and the sound has never been better, definitely sounds worthy of the price tag of this piece of kit now. Hope this helps those who are having the same issue.