Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

HW-Q90r subwoofer distortion

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello,

I purchased the Q90R soundbar a few days ago and so far so good.  But I have had a few occasions where there is some noticeable distortion from the subwoofer.  I haven't been able to pinpoint specific content as it just seems to happen randomly.  I'm suspicious of a bug or Bluetooth issue but no way to confirm.  

I confirmed that I have firmware 1008 installed and otherwise have default settings.  Soundbar is connected via hdmi arc to my Samsung qled. No issues with the rear speakers as far as I can tell. 

Just wondering if maybe I have a lemon. 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: HW-Q90r subwoofer distortion

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This thread can be closed as I am fairly certain that the issue is resolved.  

After upgrading my HDMI cables I decided to relocate the subwoofer closer to my TV stand and reorienting so that it fired towards the center of the room rather than into the wall.  Seems like that did the trick as I've not had the distortion since.  I suspect that something is interfering with the wireless signal but don't have a measurable way to confirm.  

View solution in original post

35 REPLIES 35
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Are you able to describe the distortion? Is it a static type sound? http://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01109855/

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I wouldn't say that it's a static sound. More like a low, dull and hollow sounding bass frequency at a time when I would expect more of a bold punchy sound.  It's entirely possible that it could be due to the signal being sent.  It doesn't happen often, but I have had it happen from both my FIOS tv and Xbox One X sources.  And I have tried HDMI into my Q90 qled using arc as well as going directly into the soundbar.  

The sub is about 4-5 ft from the soundbar so I don't suspect distance is the problem.  If I can I will try to capture an audio sample and upload to YouTube for reference. 

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

That would be amazing! If you don't mind providing a sound clip, the model of the TV and the software versions of each? I will be able to research this further for you.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Created a brief video and captured the distorted sound.  My setup is below:

Samsung Q90R qled - latest firmware (US)

Samsung Q90R soundbar - latest firmware (US)

Source:  Apple TV app from Samsung 

Content: Episode 1 of Servant, opening scene with bass track. 

https://youtu.be/JxRGBCbymSE

Q90R subwoofer distortion
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Have you tried using a different cable and have you tried a different source? 

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I can confirm that the distortion occurs on other sources such as Xbox One gaming and my Verizon TV FiOS.  Regardless of source it seems to be a random occurrence.  

As far as cabling goes I have not tried different cables.  I am currently using the HDMI cable provided with the Q90R soundbar.  And the Xbox and Verizon devices are configured with their included cables.  

I will purchase a better quality cable to replace the HDMI cable connecting the ARC ports between the TV and soundbar to see if there's any improvement.  

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Keep us updated! 

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I replaced the cable today between the sound bar HDMI arc output to the TV HDMI arc port 3.  Unfortunately I did experience the issue again shortly thereafter during some general TV programming. 

In case anyone is wondering, the new cable is one of the Belkin high speed HDMI 48Gbps.  

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The next step would be service, since you did say that you just recently purchased it you do have two options you can send me a private message with your full serial number we can get you set up for service, or you can take it back and try for an exchange?