JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

HW-Q950T firmware 1017.5 issues

(Topic created: 10-19-2020 07:33 AM)
medcom
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

Just purchased HW-Q950T sound bar. Immediately noticed the firmware version on Samsung site is 1017.5 where my HW-Q950T is at 1016.  Auto update doesn't appear to work in Smartthings app so I downloaded for USB update but now I'm hesitant to manually apply 1017.5 without knowing what new issues it may cause. Where does Samsung publish (or do they?) what fixes firmware upgrades correct?

9 Replies
userEDFFlIMfme
Astronaut
Options
Home Theater

Hi update via USB mine was 1016... Download to pc etc unzip... It's well easy n it makes the rear speakers Louder lol

medcom
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

Hmmm....Smart Things auto update doesn't work and USB update doesn't work either. Followed USB update instruction to the letter, once USB is inserted it does nothing. After 30 minutes of waiting I removed USB with no change. I guess I'll start Googling to see what problem could be.

userqR4014jj4h
Astronaut
Options
Home Theater

U need to power off the soundbar at the wall socket (not the remote) then insert the usb and power on then you should see update for several minutes.once its finished updating check on SmartThings for the firmware and see if the latest firmware has been applied.

Solution
medcom
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

USB update 1017.5 has been applied successfully. Realized the trick is to ignore the instructions included with firmware upgrade download as those do not work. Do not unzip the file on USB drive where it will create a folder named 'Image'. Make sure the image file (.msd) is located in the root directory of USB, otherwise sound bar won't be able to find the file. Also, but not sure about this, use a USB under 8gb and formatted FAT32.

This sound bar is finicky though. After applying update it lost connection to Alexa. After reconnecting then the sound bar kept losing sound. About every 60 seconds sound would go silent then come back on 5-10 seconds later. I unplugged sound bar for 30 seconds and reconnected power and seems to working for last couple hours. We shall see if it last.....

DinosaurJockey
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

@medcom  - i'm chatting with samsung support right now, asking them where/how to review the release notes....i'll update this once I hear back....he's been "searching" for 10+ mins

userYD7q2JZlSS
Astronaut
Options
Home Theater

Hi! wondering if you have any news on this...

@DinosaurJockey wrote:

@medcom  - i'm chatting with samsung support right now, asking them where/how to review the release notes....i'll update this once I hear back....he's been "searching" for 10+ mins

medcom
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

No word on where release notes are published so if you're looking for specific fix to problem you'll never know without installing 1017.5. I was able to apply the firmware update though, see my previous post above. Personally I'm giving up on Samsung products. I bought the HW-Q950T to replace a 3 year old HW-??? connected to a 5 year old Samsung UHD TV.  The old Samsung sound bar went silent when switching between a 4K Xfinity broadcast back to HD. I always had to unplug soundbar to get it to work after watching 4K. Now I buy this Q950T which seems to be much better but occasionally (rarely) the sound stops and starts until I unplug. I'm thinking of replacing my Samsung stuff with a LG this Christmas season. 🙂 why not? And really who puts the sound bar display window on the top where you can't see it unless you get up and go stand over it? Ok, sorry, I may be ranting too much....

Phadethiss
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater
I just used my phone to switch the Sound bar sources
firehouse911
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Look at this video it may help...   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LphWFtgWTqA 

🔥 Ready to unlock the full potential of your soundbar? Look no further! In this video, we walk you through a step-by-step guide on how to update firmware on your soundbar, ensuring you get the most epic audio experience possible. 🎶 ➡️ In just a few minutes, you'll learn: Why updating your ...
0 Likes