Original topic:

HW-Q990B - Intermittent sound drops

(Topic created: 01-10-2023 08:41 AM)
C_Riley_B
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

New HW-Q990B soundbar experiencing intermittent sound drops. This is NOT the rear/subwoofer speaker disconnect problem. All sound from all speakers cuts out for a second, returns, cuts out again and then continues as normal for awhile. Video is never interrupted and it occurs during non-streaming activities such as gaming.

Examples: This happens when streaming from a device connected directly to the soundbar and then passing video to the TV via the HDMI ARC connection. It also happens when playing Playstation 5 connected directly to the TV and then passing audio to the soundbar via HDMI ARC.

I found an article identifying the exact same problem for other models on the Samsung website.

Wondering if anyone has a similar problem or if a Samsung moderator can let me know if this is an identified problem with the 990B and if a firmware fix is in the works to correct this.

Thanks!

C_Riley_B
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

Thank you. I did try that and it seemed to diminish the problem but not eliminate it completely. I hope you have better luck! I noticed on your previous post you mentioned that you have your PS5 running directly into the soundbar. Has that worked for you?

When I try to connect a PS5 directly, it won't passthrough the video. Just goes to black screen but I can hear audio. I have tried pretty much every possible combination of  devices and connection sequences with the soundbar at this point.

0 Likes
Smithinoz
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

For the PS5, it's connected to the sound bar, but also works via the TV if I use a TV port.  If connected to the sound bar, you need to ensure both cables support the required spec.

I did have the black screen issue on another TV, and had to do the video reset thing.

1. Hold the power button for three seconds to turn off the PS5.
  2. Press and hold the power button until you hear two beeps. Release the button after the second beep.
  3. Connect your Dual Sense controller using the USB cable.
  4. Press the PS button on the controller.
  5. Select Change Video Output.
  6. Select Change Resolution.
  7. Wait for the PS5 to restart.
  8. Select the supported resolution for your device.

C_Riley_B
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

THANK YOU for the step by step.

My cables are all up to spec and I did manage to get the PS5 working. Think it might have been having trouble based on the order I turned on/plugged in devices.

But should the video problem rear its ugly head again, I'll be sure to keep this in mind.

0 Likes
Smithinoz
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

Update: After following the INIT, the sound drop issue, now occurs once every few days.  So a minor annoyance, not something that bothers me enough to follow-up with support.

C_Riley_B
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

Thanks for the update! Just curious:
- did you end up using the Auto EQ or SpaceFit features?
- did factory reset knock you back to the originally installed firmware or are you running the current firmware?

0 Likes
Smithinoz
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

Stil have not YET enabled Auto EQ or SpaceFit. Factory reset stayed at the current firmware, did not knock back to the original out of box.

userscqAJkXzrY
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Hi...

I see it's been a while since someone last posted on this topic.  Does anyone know if this issue has been resolved at all?

I've tried everything that has been suggested in this thread and I still get the issue.  Everything i have is within the Samsung ecosystem which makes it even more annoying as you'd think it would play nice.

THe biggest improvement i've had was by disable eArc on my Samsung QN95A 75 tv...but that then creates problems or annoyances elsewhere..so i can't win.  Also, not forgetting the obvious fact that I shouldn't have to do any of this in the first place...it should work.

I was about to speak with Samsung, but thought i'd check in here first before the long/drawn out discussion starts with them.

thnx.

0 Likes
Mekseg
Astronaut
Options
Home Theater

After having this problem, I decided not to use HDMI-Passthrough anymore. No regrets, no problems, the only unpleasant thing is losing ability to listen to DTS (which gets now converted to Dolby Digital automatically by my mediaplayer).

0 Likes
userscqAJkXzrY
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

i 'think' i tried that...tbh can't remember specifically, as I've tried many many things.  I will mess around with that setting again.

I have also opened a 'case' with Samsung...so far all they have done is get me to do the obvious, plus reset the soundbar.  The minute i reset it  I knew they were going to tell me to go away for a couple of days and see if the issue returns.

I did have a suspicion/am wondering whether one of my many external devices that i have connected to my TV might be causing a problem with the soundbar.  I never used to have this problem, and 2 things have changed since last October (when i purchased this and it worked).

1. I bought a new QLED.  QN95BA75

2. I purchased a stb that one of the UK tv providers suddenly started producing.  

I'm just wondering whether the stb (Which looks pretty much like an Apple TV) might be interfering with the soundbar.  I'm going to switch that off and see what happens..

thnx.

0 Likes
userzUmKUvYCqF
Constellation
Options
Home Theater
I believe I found the fix - as someone mentioned it's the cable. I bought an Amazon Basics Braided HDMI to HDMI cable and the instant I replaced the old crappy one with the braided one, the drops stopped. Hope this helps.
0 Likes