Original topic:

HW-Q990B - Intermittent sound drops

(Topic created: 01-10-2023 08:41 AM)
C_Riley_B
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

New HW-Q990B soundbar experiencing intermittent sound drops. This is NOT the rear/subwoofer speaker disconnect problem. All sound from all speakers cuts out for a second, returns, cuts out again and then continues as normal for awhile. Video is never interrupted and it occurs during non-streaming activities such as gaming.

Examples: This happens when streaming from a device connected directly to the soundbar and then passing video to the TV via the HDMI ARC connection. It also happens when playing Playstation 5 connected directly to the TV and then passing audio to the soundbar via HDMI ARC.

I found an article identifying the exact same problem for other models on the Samsung website.

Wondering if anyone has a similar problem or if a Samsung moderator can let me know if this is an identified problem with the 990B and if a firmware fix is in the works to correct this.

Thanks!

userscqAJkXzrY
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

hmm...strange...i bought 3 of those, and still getting the dropouts.  I've tried swapping each one out, one at a time, i've tried all sorts of combos..still same.

Spoke to Sammy support and  now they are telling me to connect via optical to see if i get dropouts.  Even though i will never use optical, i suppose it's part of their elimination process and trying to get to the bottom of it.  

The problem is there are so many different combinations that i can see they will want me to try this will take forever.

0 Likes
userzUmKUvYCqF
Constellation
Options
Home Theater
Were you able to update the firmware and also do a factory reset alobg with cable change? I did those 2 things as well.
0 Likes
userscqAJkXzrY
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

yeah...it was one of the many things that Samsung have got me to do.

I'm trying very hard to find any sort of common thread to this issue, and am struggling.  Initially i thought it might be the audio track..i.e when it's Atmos e.g object based audio,.  Then i thought it might be the connection between the tv and the soundbar, then i thought it might be inteference between external devices and the soundbar, then i though it might be the q-symphony function, then i thought it might be one of the many audio settings in the t.v...it goes on.

Admittedly, since going 'optical' (as per Samsung test) it hasn't dropped...but it's only been 24hrs since i was asked to test it this way and i've only played a couple of movies.  There is a limit to how long i can sit in front of the t.v and watch all this stuff...

0 Likes
C_Riley_B
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

UPDATE: When I originally posted, I noted that the problem didn't seem to be the commonly discussed rear speaker dropout issue because the sound was cutting out from the main soundbar first.

However, I happened to be behind my couch grabbing something from the bar the other day when a sound drop happened -- and I noticed the blue lights on the back of the rear speakers were flashing off and on.

Since then, if it cuts out, I quickly run back there to look -- and sure enough, every time one or both of the rear speakers are flashing blue. Once they turn solid, the problem goes away.

Something to consider if troubleshooting the problem.

0 Likes
userscqAJkXzrY
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

interesting....

i'm not sure if i'm going to be able to catch that happening. 

When i get a dropout, it's everything and for 1 second..it then comes back, then goes again for 1 second...then it calms down and will act normally.  Totally random as to when it happens.

Because it's only for 1 second, I'll never be able to tell whether the blue lights are flashing or not..i'd love to know.

However, you have now inserted something into my head to consider going forward...

the testing continues....

0 Likes
CrazedPuma
Astronaut
Options
Home Theater

I cured this by changing my HDMI cable between the TV and the Soundbar to one that supported eArc. 

0 Likes
userscqAJkXzrY
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

so...in my ongoing search for a cure...I moved my soundbar further away from my QN95 tv...I used to have it sat on the pedestal, as it fitted perfectly there and without obstructing the screen.  I have brought it forward a few inches so it's now on the table top...

Not sure if it's a coincidence, but I haven't had one dropout since i moved it away from the tv (it's been 3 days now). Perhaps some sort of interference going on?  Dunno...probably me wishing/hoping for anything to cure it right now.

0 Likes
CEPJR
Astronaut
Options
Home Theater

Yes, I am having the problem with HW-Q990C.  I notice it more when using Prime TV.  Anyone else?

0 Likes
Lucas d carmo
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Hi everyone, first of all I don't speak English fluently so I might miss something.

But I had the same problem and managed to solve it. As many of you here already suspected, these dropouts from the rear speakers and subwoofer are due to an interference problem.

But not external. internal between 2 plates of the central box. There are 2 modules, called TX modules that were conflicting the signal with each other.

Here in Brazil, where I live, they already had a standard procedure for this problem and they already knew exactly what was happening. I called technical assistance and in 2 days they brought the parts, exchanged them and the dropouts stopped.

0 Likes
Tyler S
Astronaut
Options
Home Theater

Thank you for the update. Which box are you referring to? I have a set up with a Frame TV and a 801B soundbar and it keep getting numerous audio drops through the WiFi audio option. Curious if the issue is the sound bar or the TV

0 Likes