JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Help—can’t get surround sound out of TV apps

(Topic created: 03-10-2020 04:11 AM)
userIXEsHs10Y2
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Hi all! I’m having trouble getting surround sound from the apps on my Samsung TV. Here’s what I’m working with:

TV: Samsung Q9FN
Soundbar: Q70R
Surrounds: SWA8500S
Connection: ARC via HDMI

I’ll put on an app where I should be getting 5.1, like Netflix or Disney+, and I’m only getting sound out of the Soundbar. I’ve tried every combination of PCM/Bitstream and PCM/Dolby for the two expert settings audio choices. My Anynet+ is on for both devices.

My PS4 is hooked up to the TV (via the connection box) and that gets surround sound. My XBOX is connected directly to the bar via HDMI and obviously gets the full 5.1 treatment.

I’ve tried switching the audio output to an optical cable, and it still didn’t work.

I have a feeling that it’s just some option that I haven’t selected, but I can’t figure it out. Thanks in advance for your help!

Scott

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
userIXEsHs10Y2
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Update: solved!

In my first post, I said I was getting 5.1 out of the PS4, but I was wrong. I figured that out too. 

I’ll leave this up in case anyone is having the same issues as me. All of the issues stemmed from Anynet+.

I had to unplug my TV and soundbar at the same time, and then plug in the bar first so the two would sync. Once I did that, 5.1 sound on my TV apps.

My PS4 was trickier. I connected the optical cable from the PS4 to the bar. Then I disconnected Anynet+ (hold right on the Soundbar D-pad). Then I made sure PS4 audio was set for optical and Dolby out. Presto. 5.1 on PS4.

It’s not perfect, but it works.

View solution in context

1 Reply
Solution
userIXEsHs10Y2
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Update: solved!

In my first post, I said I was getting 5.1 out of the PS4, but I was wrong. I figured that out too. 

I’ll leave this up in case anyone is having the same issues as me. All of the issues stemmed from Anynet+.

I had to unplug my TV and soundbar at the same time, and then plug in the bar first so the two would sync. Once I did that, 5.1 sound on my TV apps.

My PS4 was trickier. I connected the optical cable from the PS4 to the bar. Then I disconnected Anynet+ (hold right on the Soundbar D-pad). Then I made sure PS4 audio was set for optical and Dolby out. Presto. 5.1 on PS4.

It’s not perfect, but it works.