cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

How to update Q70 Soundbar firmware?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have a new Q90 QLED and a new Q70 soundbar.  They seem to be working pretty well, except the TV won't recognize the soundbar after some Blu-rays are used.  I am hoping that maybe it's a firmware issue with the soundbar, but I cannot get the soundbar to connect to the internet, and therefore cannot update its software.

From what I can gather, the only way to update the software is to connect to the internet, which requires the use of the SmartThings app.  However, when I try to add the device, it does not work.  I keep getting an error, "Turn on Bluetooth" and "To add a device, you need to turn on Bluetooh in Settings > Bluetooth."  But I do have Bluetooth on and in fact have been able to broadcast from my phone to the soundbar.

Then, I see that some other instructions for other soundbars say to simply download the firmware and use a USB drive to update.  When I went to do that, I realized that the USB port on the soundbar is a micro-USB, so it is not compatible with standard USB drives!

I am getting quite frustrated... Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: How to update Q70 Soundbar firmware?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

After days of tinkering, I figured out the solution. I will post here to hopefully aid other iPhone users.

When using the SmartThings app, it would say to turn on Bluetooth by going to "Settings > Bluetooth."  But that alone won't do it.  There is another vital step that needs to happen to allow Bluetooth to work with the app:  you must also go to "Settings > Privacy > Bluetooth" and allow the SmartThings app to utilize Bluetooth.  

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

After days of tinkering, I figured out the solution. I will post here to hopefully aid other iPhone users.

When using the SmartThings app, it would say to turn on Bluetooth by going to "Settings > Bluetooth."  But that alone won't do it.  There is another vital step that needs to happen to allow Bluetooth to work with the app:  you must also go to "Settings > Privacy > Bluetooth" and allow the SmartThings app to utilize Bluetooth.  

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The only way I was able to update the firmware was via usb with the downloaded firmware from the Samsung support page.  And yes I had to purchase a cheap micro usb male to usb female adapter.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have a Q60 soundbar and am experiencing the same issue.  I thought you could connect to internet and then update software.  No very user friendly for us old timers.

Samsung, make things easier for senior citizens!