Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
BruinRogue
Cosmic Ray

Macbook Pro 5.1 sound on HW-K950

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So far, all my audio through HDMI between my Macbook Pro and HW-K950 come out as stereo. I previously owned a Sony HT-RT5 soundbar with surround speakers, which allowed for surround sound from my Mac. Audio MIDI Setup only shows it as 2 channel stereo with greyed out surround options. 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Macbook Pro 5.1 sound on HW-K950

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I expect the mac book is outputting lpcm format which will only do stereo on this soundbar unlike the rt5 (I used to own one of those too, it had its issues but at least it supported every format under the sun and didn't hiss). If you want 5.1 you have to use atmos,  dts or dolby. If you can bitstream a blu ray for instance it will likely work cause it passes the sound data (which will be one of the 3 I mentioned) straight to the soundbar without the os first unpacking it into 5.1 lpcm which the soundbar can't deal with.  With Windows you can get atmos which is optimal, xbox will even convert non atmos into atmos. If you have a setting somewhere in your mac player app that passes the audio unprocessed (bitstream)  to the soundbar you want that.

If you are playing a game you may be out of luck as it will want to do lpcm. 

Wrt greyed out speakers I expect the mac book is reading the data from the soundbar which correctly reports that you can only get stereo with lpcm output. Amazing isn't it that this 1k+ soundbar won't do more than stereo!

You can get fake surround mode with movie mode/surround on I belive but you lose the real sound data as it's still based off stero. Return it if you still can if you need lpcm. Loads of people are asking for support for this but Samsung are totally silent.

Samsungcole shame on your for trying to get this person so send their bar off for repair, it's exactly the same thing someone on another thread went through. 

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

How are the two connected? Have you updated the software? http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/2016-soundbar-w-dolby-atmos-hw-k950

BruinRogue
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I tried two methods. I first hooked up the Macbook Pro directly to the HW-K950 via HDMI using the same HDMI high speed plus ethernet cable I used with my previous soundbar. Then I tried hooking it up to the HW-K950 via Toslink. Neither worked. I have the latest OSX and the firmware on the HW-K950 is 3114.2.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Have you tried changing the modes on the soundbar? 

BruinRogue
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yep. I tried Movie, Standard, Sports, Clear, Music, and Night. Double checked to make sure Surround Sound was on. 

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Do you have the option to test the optical connection?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

BruinRogue
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I just bought an optical cable for that purpose. Still nothing. Just stereo. 

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Does your macbook support Bluetooth?  If so, have you tried a bluetooth connection to the home theater?  

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

BruinRogue
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have tried a bluetooth connection to the soundbar but it is still stereo only.

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Does the content you are listening to/watching also support 5.1 sound? Or is it set to play 5.1 sound? If the answer is yes to both, then I would honestly recommend service repairs for the unit. 

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.