JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

New 3114 Firmware for HW-K950

(Topic created on: 1/21/18 6:50 AM)
userCYQiKZU8OP
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

Hey Samsung what does the new firmware do?  Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
64 Replies
userr7ofR4eRHU
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

I have the same issue. Dialogue volume is way lower and DTS audio won't play. Any way to revert back to previous firmware?

0 Likes
usercQJKzEqzLB
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater
AVR means it accepts surround sound signals so the DTS functionality is added, for example.
0 Likes
userf6aaYSQBkC
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Hi
I have a nvidia shield and ps4 pro and a lg 65c7v for tv
For now ps4 is on hdmi 1 on samsung
HDMI 2 for arc
Shield on hdmi 1 tv
Only my ps4 are in atmos ?
If i want my shield to have atmos compatibility I need to pass by the hdmi on the Sound bar ?
Thanks for your help guys.
Happy New year !

0 Likes
Shablamy2
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

For those interested.

I found a way to get the firmware from the soundbar by playing around with the buttons on the remote(non of which is documented and could be due to my firmware level, but here goes..)

My current Firmware: v3114.2

Put the soundbar off/standby, then holding down the settings button(middle one between "effect" and "level"), the one with the settings wheel(wheel-cog). Keep holding it down until the soundbar boots. Keep an eye out on the soundbar's screen, it will cycle through all the "hidden" config like wireless ID's etc for each speaker, along with the firmware version.

Also found a way to re-init the system(I'm still searching for a way to factory reset the device). To re-init: Put the soundbar off/standby mode, then by holding down the volume up&down buttons on the side of the soundbar(not on the remote) until the display lights up with "INIT".

My ARC was working perfectly for about 1.5months, until I returned from my December 2017 holiday. No more ARC for me... I've reset my TV, decoder and re-INIT the soundbar. Also tried different HDMI cables and by unplugging all devices for 1 full day. Nada - fek

0 Likes
Jojo_Madman
Astronaut
Options
Home Theater

Stumbled across this thread in trying to sort out why my XB1 was giving me a black screen ...  I had assumed my K950 had also updated it software but wanted to check so I did the reboot (cogwheel) thing and found that I am still on 3113.5 FW ... for once I am glad I was slow in logging in and updating a device.

Now I am scared stiff to allow the SB any access to the internet until Samsung resolves this FW issue ... 

What I don't understand is why a company like Samsung sticks there head in the sand with the lack of proper Customer Service on their issues ... this was my Samsung Home Theatre purchases and probably my last from what I've read ... 

0 Likes
userg0SMVOKzEw
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

The lack of customer support for you guys doesn’t surprise me. It’s the same with most manufacturers. I went from a bose soundtouch 300 to the Samsung. The bose was just failed firmware after failed firmware and bose customer service was shocking. I’m just praying for a dts x update for the Samsung. 

0 Likes
uservnIL78hbRd
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

I had the same issue after the firmware update. Found a way that fixed low center and rear volume issue and random disconnects.

press the the settings button (the one in the middle that depicts a cog wheel) until speaker shows 150. This will restart and reset the system (no factory reset), and after that everything works for me again.

speakers were still to loud for normal use for me, and I turned Dynamic Range Control in by pressing the sour round button (top left on remote) while system is in standby until it shows DRC on.

with sub at -6 but bass level at 2 (to make the mids not to thin) I really like the system now. 

If you unplug your system, you have to do everything again...

SamsungJam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Home Theater

Thank you for the input!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
userEATPKeIVIZ
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

Just trying to keep the DTS-X/HD firmware update request alive!  

Keep requesting it y'all!

0 Likes
user7tAbeYJRyJ
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Here is a fix for the people where the Soundbar is connected to a PC with Windows 10 and a NVidia Graphics Card together with a Samsung TV - not being able to use it with 4k & HDR anymore.

Issue: After the firmware update (3114), the EDID of the Soundbar is corrupted so that if you want to use 4k + HDR, the soundbar reports a screen refresh rate of 45Hz to the PC - resulting the TV to say "resolution not supported". The short way to fix this is to turn "UHD Colors" of the corresponding HDMI port on your TV "off". That, of course, is quite bad as it means you get 4k, but no HDR with your constellation of PC + Soundbar + TV.

Solution: The only solution to get PC + Soundbar + TV with 4k and HDR working again is to edit the reported EDID from the soundbar+TV at your windows PC. We will use a tool called "CRU" for that. You will find it with google. I used version 1.3.99

1. Make sure you connected your PC with the soundbar and TV in both settings:

first with "UHD Colors on" [here you will get the "not supported resolution" error - so no picture]

then with "UHD Colors off" [here you will get a picture, but HDR is turned off]

2. Now you open up CRU. You will find two different EDID on the drop down menu top left. In my case it was SAM0DF6 and SAM0DF7.

In my case the SAM0DF6 was currently active which means this is the EDID of the combination "PC + Soundbar + TV [HDR off]".

The other EDID (in my case SAM0DF7) was currently not active (but stored at the PC) which means that this is the combination "PC + Soundbar + TV [HDR on]".

3. What we now do is: We fix that second EDID. To make that a bit easier I attached the right settings to that post so you just need to import this.

3.1 Chose the HDR EDID (in my case SAM0DF7) and hit "import" and chose the file that I attached (rename .jpg to .bin). Done! Should work for a 2017 Samsung TV with 4k&HDR. Probably for other models as well.

3.2 Activate the "UHD Colors" again on your TV and you should be fine, no more "resolution not supported" errors.

*Additional Info* If you are an expert or if my settings in the file are not working for you: What I did to find the right settings is that I merged the settings of "PC + Soundbar + TV [HDR off]" together with "PC + TV [HDR on]". If you compare in my case SAM0DF6 ("PC + Soundbar + TV [HDR off]") with SAM0DF7 ("PC + Soundbar + TV [HDR off]") in CRU, you will see that the extension blocks in SAM0DF7 are missing. That's why I connected the TV directly to the PC to get those right extension blocks. In fact, the "HDMI 2.0" setting it the thing that gives you HDR. So I used the extension block of SAM0DF6 (that has the essential sound settings of the soundbar) and added the "HDMI 2.0" part and integrated that to my SAM0DF7. So you get the sound and the HDR.

CONCLUSION: Dear guys at Samsung: Messing up the EDID with a firmware update is really really a shame for your whole software testing department. It ruines the $1200 soundbar for all users that connect it to their HTPC. I really expect that you fix this in an upcoming firmware. Most people with this issue gave up and connected "PC -> TV -> Soundbar" with HDMI ARC whicht gives you HDR but no ATMOS. Have a look at other threads of this forum.

0 Likes