Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userJcvtrVvq7F
Cosmic Ray

Re: New 3114 Firmware for HW-K950

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@user7tAbeYJRyJwrote:

Here is a fix for the people where the Soundbar is connected to a PC with Windows 10 and a NVidia Graphics Card together with a Samsung TV - not being able to use it with 4k & HDR anymore.

Issue: After the firmware update (3114), the EDID of the Soundbar is corrupted so that if you want to use 4k + HDR, the soundbar reports a screen refresh rate of 45Hz to the PC - resulting the TV to say "resolution not supported". The short way to fix this is to turn "UHD Colors" of the corresponding HDMI port on your TV "off". That, of course, is quite bad as it means you get 4k, but no HDR with your constellation of PC + Soundbar + TV.

Solution: The only solution to get PC + Soundbar + TV with 4k and HDR working again is to edit the reported EDID from the soundbar+TV at your windows PC. We will use a tool called "CRU" for that. You will find it with google. I used version 1.3.99

1. Make sure you connected your PC with the soundbar and TV in both settings:

first with "UHD Colors on" [here you will get the "not supported resolution" error - so no picture]

then with "UHD Colors off" [here you will get a picture, but HDR is turned off]

2. Now you open up CRU. You will find two different EDID on the drop down menu top left. In my case it was SAM0DF6 and SAM0DF7.

In my case the SAM0DF6 was currently active which means this is the EDID of the combination "PC + Soundbar + TV [HDR off]".

The other EDID (in my case SAM0DF7) was currently not active (but stored at the PC) which means that this is the combination "PC + Soundbar + TV [HDR on]".

3. What we now do is: We fix that second EDID. To make that a bit easier I attached the right settings to that post so you just need to import this.

3.1 Chose the HDR EDID (in my case SAM0DF7) and hit "import" and chose the file that I attached (rename .jpg to .bin). Done! Should work for a 2017 Samsung TV with 4k&HDR. Probably for other models as well.

3.2 Activate the "UHD Colors" again on your TV and you should be fine, no more "resolution not supported" errors.

*Additional Info* If you are an expert or if my settings in the file are not working for you: What I did to find the right settings is that I merged the settings of "PC + Soundbar + TV [HDR off]" together with "PC + TV [HDR on]". If you compare in my case SAM0DF6 ("PC + Soundbar + TV [HDR off]") with SAM0DF7 ("PC + Soundbar + TV [HDR off]") in CRU, you will see that the extension blocks in SAM0DF7 are missing. That's why I connected the TV directly to the PC to get those right extension blocks. In fact, the "HDMI 2.0" setting it the thing that gives you HDR. So I used the extension block of SAM0DF6 (that has the essential sound settings of the soundbar) and added the "HDMI 2.0" part and integrated that to my SAM0DF7. So you get the sound and the HDR.

CONCLUSION: Dear guys at Samsung: Messing up the EDID with a firmware update is really really a shame for your whole software testing department. It ruines the $1200 soundbar for all users that connect it to their HTPC. I really expect that you fix this in an upcoming firmware. Most people with this issue gave up and connected "PC -> TV -> Soundbar" with HDMI ARC whicht gives you HDR but no ATMOS. Have a look at other threads of this forum.

This post is why we need forums. The official support is not even close to be as helpful as regular users.

The supports favourite solution is to re-initiate our soundbars and ignore followups after that - this detailed posts shows how it should be done. An actuall solution (if not the best one since Samsung SHOULD BE FIXING IT ON THEIR SIDE, but still)

Thanks for the solution!

userPQGV2gQWJV
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So I currently have the 3117.3 firmware update just recently and since then I cannot play media on my nvidia shield 4k hdr with Atmos. It freezes and buffers. It wasn’t like that before this update. Not only they not fixing the issues with ARC they even making this worst! I tried to play transformers, daddy’s home 2 they both support Atmos on my nvidia shield from my external hard drive and it’s just a disaster! Why in the world I got stuck in this soundbar 

userpAVJpOLIaQ
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Have you Cru settings for Netflix? Sometings are wrong; HDR + 4K and tinkel tinkel litle star and then black screen.

userT89I6JNci2
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The use of CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) and the file the user provided (which needs to be renamed to ".bin" instead of ".jpg" in order to use it) solved my problem of not being able to get the soundbar and tv to do both HDR and ATMOS at the same time. I had been using another workaround but this is much simpler and more effective. Tested and working  for both HDR/ATMOS Netflix and ATMOS gaming. Well done!

user30KOghv1FT
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Can you write more simple version like tutorial maybe? 

userT89I6JNci2
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Ok....this has not turned out quite as well as I first thought. For anything I have tried EXCEPT Netflix it's fine. Gaming...check. Streaming vid from anywhere but Netflix...check. But when the Netflix app is started it flickers to black...it crashes...it stutters...maybe not right away (which is what fooled me initially) but it will. Most times it simply disconnects the external display (Sammy tv thru the soundbar) and reverts to the organic display on my pc. Not useful. Redirecting the video output to the tv/soundbar only lasts until Netflix is next launched. I have found no fix for this yet. I can work around it by plugging another HDMI cable into the video card and routing the vid direct to the tv...but of course there is no ATMOS this way. The workaround is to direct the audio to the soundbar instead of direct to the tv...both the tv and soundbar appear as NVIDIA/Samsung sound devices in windows sound settings. When this is done ATMOS is produced on the soundbar and stable 4k/HDR vid on the tv. Be advised that both the soundbar AND the tv will show up as displays in windows display settings. Use the "extend the desktop setting" both the tv and the soundbar. Make the tv display the "main display." If the desktop is not extended no audio can be sent to the soundbar. Now I know we are dealing with THREE vendors here...Microsoft...Samsung and Netflix. BUT REALLY guys...DOES IT HAVE TO BE THIS HARD? I'm an early adopter of new technology and a hobbyist and this has driven me nuts. No normal person is going to put up with this. 

tkengels
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@user7tAbeYJRyJ wrote:

Here is a fix for the people where the Soundbar is connected to a PC with Windows 10 and a NVidia Graphics Card together with a Samsung TV - not being able to use it with 4k & HDR anymore.

Issue: After the firmware update (3114), the EDID of the Soundbar is corrupted so that if you want to use 4k + HDR, the soundbar reports a screen refresh rate of 45Hz to the PC - resulting the TV to say "resolution not supported". The short way to fix this is to turn "UHD Colors" of the corresponding HDMI port on your TV "off". That, of course, is quite bad as it means you get 4k, but no HDR with your constellation of PC + Soundbar + TV.

Solution: The only solution to get PC + Soundbar + TV with 4k and HDR working again is to edit the reported EDID from the soundbar+TV at your windows PC. We will use a tool called "CRU" for that. You will find it with google. I used version 1.3.99

1. Make sure you connected your PC with the soundbar and TV in both settings:

first with "UHD Colors on" [here you will get the "not supported resolution" error - so no picture]

then with "UHD Colors off" [here you will get a picture, but HDR is turned off]

2. Now you open up CRU. You will find two different EDID on the drop down menu top left. In my case it was SAM0DF6 and SAM0DF7.

In my case the SAM0DF6 was currently active which means this is the EDID of the combination "PC + Soundbar + TV [HDR off]".

The other EDID (in my case SAM0DF7) was currently not active (but stored at the PC) which means that this is the combination "PC + Soundbar + TV [HDR on]".

3. What we now do is: We fix that second EDID. To make that a bit easier I attached the right settings to that post so you just need to import this.

3.1 Chose the HDR EDID (in my case SAM0DF7) and hit "import" and chose the file that I attached (rename .jpg to .bin). Done! Should work for a 2017 Samsung TV with 4k&HDR. Probably for other models as well.

3.2 Activate the "UHD Colors" again on your TV and you should be fine, no more "resolution not supported" errors.

*Additional Info* If you are an expert or if my settings in the file are not working for you: What I did to find the right settings is that I merged the settings of "PC + Soundbar + TV [HDR off]" together with "PC + TV [HDR on]". If you compare in my case SAM0DF6 ("PC + Soundbar + TV [HDR off]") with SAM0DF7 ("PC + Soundbar + TV [HDR off]") in CRU, you will see that the extension blocks in SAM0DF7 are missing. That's why I connected the TV directly to the PC to get those right extension blocks. In fact, the "HDMI 2.0" setting it the thing that gives you HDR. So I used the extension block of SAM0DF6 (that has the essential sound settings of the soundbar) and added the "HDMI 2.0" part and integrated that to my SAM0DF7. So you get the sound and the HDR.

CONCLUSION: Dear guys at Samsung: Messing up the EDID with a firmware update is really really a shame for your whole software testing department. It ruines the $1200 soundbar for all users that connect it to their HTPC. I really expect that you fix this in an upcoming firmware. Most people with this issue gave up and connected "PC -> TV -> Soundbar" with HDMI ARC whicht gives you HDR but no ATMOS. Have a look at other threads of this forum.

Thanks for this, but does anyone else have an issue with Sky Go and Netflix losing picture and sound whilst the soundbar repeats the "AVR Speaker" scroll?

userefqI8Ya12O
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Me to rhe same thing. Do you know what to do? Thank you 

userefqI8Ya12O
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Me to.... Do you know what to do?
userYVlGvQ10ea
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Improvement Points

1) Volume step is changed to 100 (used to be 50 when it's not connected with TV)

2) Black screen issue when it's connected with Xbox

3) Support Amazon Prime & new Deezer UX (same as R series speakers)

4) Set TV speaker in HDMI IN mode when there's no HDMI signal (TMDS)

5) and other minor fixes.

Why don't you explain these more fully??

3) What kind of support for Amazon Prime and Deezer UX (whatever that is)? What do you mean by "same as R series speakers"? Are we supposed to know what those are?

4) What on earth is TDMS? Are we supposed to know what this is, too?

5) What are the "minor fixes"?

And what on earth is the new "AV Speaker" message all about? You make absolutely no mention of it anywhere.

You may think that this forum issue has been "solved", but to those of us who don't understand what the improvements really are or who have issues related to the upgrade, it is far from solved.

Please respond.