cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peterlazaroo
Asteroid

No Dolby Atmos or any HD audio from HWK950 with UBD M8500

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Hi, I’ve got the HWK950 soundbar with UBD 8500 player. (Purchased Sept 30th 2017). The TV is an LG 65UH77 (purchased in mid 2016). The player is connected via high-speed HDMI cables (rocketfish high speed with Ethernet purchased Sept 30th 2017) to the soundbar HDMI 1 port. (I have also tried it with the HDMI 2 port with the same result). The TV HDMI ARC is connected via High speed HDMI to the HDMI ARC on the soundbard. The player is set to BitStream uncompressed audio output. I’m playing a UHD Disc with Dolby Atmos (Wonder Woman) purchased at BestBuy here in Houston (it has no region / area markings on it). Video works but no audio. When I change the audio output format to PCM or Dolby D or DTS there is sound (but no Atmos of course). When I play BluRay discs with an HD audio source (Dolby True HD or DTS HD) and set the player to BitStream I get the same thing – no audio. If I pick one of the non-HD sources it will produce audio (Dolby Digital or DTS).  To further test I popped in an older BluRay disc (pre HD audio), which had just Dolby Digital audio, and with the player set to Bitstream, I managed to get audio on the soundbar. I have tried disconnecting everything and re-connecting it the next morning (power cables and HDMI cables) and no joy. I also tried not using the regular HDMI connection (not ARC) on the TV with the same result. I have tried all settings for sound output on the TV (although I don’t think this is relevant because I get audio when not a HD source from the player). I updated both the HWK950 and UBD 8500 on Sunday October 1st 2017. So my results are pointing towards the HWK950 soundbar is not able to decode the HD uncompressed bitstream audio-source – which cant be right! What am I doing wrong? What can I try next? 
1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
peterlazaroo
Asteroid

Re: No Dolby Atmos or any HD audio from HWK950 with UBD M8500

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So it looks like I'm talking to myself with this thread but hopfully it helps someone else!

The sound bar went for a service (after several calls to Samsung and lots of research and trouble shooting) and they identified the problem - they replaced a part AH94-03759A. (I dont know what this part does).

Got it back yesterday evening - plugged it in and it now works as it should! - I have Dolby Atmos and it sounds great.

I wish it worked first time - not sure if there is a QC issue that needs addressing - brand new SoundBar out of the box with this kind of problem.

Either way - its working now.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
peterlazaroo
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I tried hooking up my old Blu-Ray player today that I know works. I played a Blu-Ray disc with a Dolby TrueHD Audio source and had it set as Bitstream Uncompressed connected to the Soundbar - No Sound. 

So I've been able to establish that there's nothing wrong with my UHD Player (UBD M8500).

The problem appears to be with the HWK950 soundbar - it wont read / decode any of the newer 'HD' audio signals. 

Please help!

peterlazaroo
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Speaker sent for Service under warranty as couldn't figure it out with Samsung on the phone. Will update when I get it back. Looking forward to getting this working!

peterlazaroo
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So it looks like I'm talking to myself with this thread but hopfully it helps someone else!

The sound bar went for a service (after several calls to Samsung and lots of research and trouble shooting) and they identified the problem - they replaced a part AH94-03759A. (I dont know what this part does).

Got it back yesterday evening - plugged it in and it now works as it should! - I have Dolby Atmos and it sounds great.

I wish it worked first time - not sure if there is a QC issue that needs addressing - brand new SoundBar out of the box with this kind of problem.

Either way - its working now.

View solution in original post

userTzFVRJ2wyB
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you for your post,  it helps me alot to decide what to do for my system.

I have the same problem with a  brand new HW-K950; MFD 2017.4 ; Samsung SUHD 9500, Samsung 4KUHD player, all Samsung's, and high quality HDMI cables. Software; firmware are up to date. But no atmos sound!

The dilema is other than no atmos sound, the HW-K950 is very good, wireless convenience.

B Ahire
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I had the same issue as well as my woofer was cracking. I sent to the service center and today go email saying that they replaced the same PCB board that you mentioned. I guess all K950 sound issues have this PCB solution. Looks like very important part which costs only $220 Smiley Very Happy 

Hope when I receive all the issues are gone. 

userhEjwd2gWbu
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same symptoms, no audio from TrueHD, DD works fine.  This is from multiple sources.  Purchased the system in August 2017 and have talked myself into living with the other major shortcomings, now I can't play TrueHD/ATMOS?  Pretty disappointed.  

peterlazaroo
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Suggestion - Ring Samsung up and convince them to take it in to repair it - that’s how mine got fixed- if you only got it in August it’ll still be under warranty.

Good luck. 

userhEjwd2gWbu
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks, that's the plan at this point.  FYI, the part number you referenced is the main board/DSP for the sound bar.

https://www.tvserviceparts.com/AH94-03759A.html