Original topic:

Q-Symphony Out-of-Sync with Atmos Content on S95B and Q990B

(Topic created: 06-15-2023 11:02 AM)
Jim-Jam
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

I've seen a bunch of folks with semi-similar issues, but haven't been able to resolve this problem.

Got the S95B TV and Q990B Soundbar in Sept '22. I found this forum post, which was super helpful in getting everything configured properly for the best-quality video and audio:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/samsung-tv-s95b-and-soundbar-q990b-settings.2420641/ 

However - more recently, I have been experiencing really bad sync issues when using the 'TV + Soundbar (HDMI-eARC)'/Q-Symphony setting playing anything Atmos. With just 'Soundbar' selected, everything sounds perfectly normal, and really good. The moment I turn on Q-Symphony, it's like someone put a massive reverb/echo effect on the audio output, sometimes to the point where it's so un-listenable that we have to turn the entire system off/on to try and re-sync everything. Which doesn't really ever sustainably work.

I am experiencing issues only with Atmos content. Latest Firmware on both the TV and Soundbar.

When I play something with Q-Symphony on that's 5.1 surround, it all plays as expected. No delay.

I normally am using an Apple TV 4K, but tested with Disney+ on the Samsung built-in apps. Same issue, so it's not connectivity with the Apple TV.

Just got a new HDMI 2.1 cable for the eARC connection of Soundbar > TV. All HDMI inputs are to the TV directly, not via the Soundbar.

All settings are set up properly on the TV... it's just this sync issue.

If I mess with the delay (either on the TV or the Soundbar), I have to set it at 200(ms) in order for the audio between the TV and Soundbar to be synced up for Atmos content. But then the video/audio sync is off.

What's bizarre to me is that the Soundbar technically is getting the sound info after the TV (since the signal is going into the TV then to the Soundbar via eARC), yet the TV audio output is the thing that is delayed, while the Soundbar is correct.

Just had Abt out here (where I purchased the system), and they didn't see any problems with any setup/connections. They're going to reach out to Samsung and see if they have any firmware addressing this issue that isn't public yet.

Has anyone else experienced this or found a solution? At the moment, the best I've gotten from anyone is "turn off Q-Symphony for Atmos", which kind of defeats the purpose.

**I haven't had the energy to call Samsung customer service yet, because I can only imagine what that process is going to be like... trying to explain this highly technical issue to people who are going to tell me to turn it off/on and do factory resets.

Some of the other forum posts that I've already checked out on here:

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/audio-video/q-symphony-issues/td-p/4064323

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/audio-video/hw-q950a-and-q-symphony-sync-with-ue70au7100/m-p/664...

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/audio-video/q-symphony-played-through-wi-fi-instead-hdmi-earc/td...

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01110022/

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Home-Theater/Q90T-Audio-Drops-With-Atmos/td-p/1279618/page/2

46 Replies
amy556
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

You're having audio sync issues with your Samsung S95B TV and Q990B Soundbar when using Q-Symphony for Atmos content. Here's a quick guide to fix it:

1. Update Firmware: Make sure both the TV and Soundbar have the latest firmware from Samsung.

2. Adjust Audio Delay:

• On the TV: Go to Settings > Sound > Expert Settings > Digital Audio Output Delay.
    • On the Soundbar: Check for audio delay settings.
  3. Check eARC Settings:

• Enable eARC on both the TV and Soundbar.
    • Use an HDMI 2.1 certified cable for eARC connection.
  4. Tweak Q-Symphony:

• Toggle Q-Symphony off and on to see if it helps sync.
    • Set the TV sound output to "Auto."
  5. Apple TV 4K:

• Change the audio format to Dolby Digital 5.1 instead of Atmos in Settings > Video and Audio > Audio Format.
  6. Factory Reset: If nothing else works, try a factory reset on both devices.

7. Contact Samsung: If the issue persists, reach out to Samsung support with all the details.

For now, you might need to disable Q-Symphony for Atmos content until there's a firmware fix. Keep checking forums like AVForums for new solutions from other users.

0 Likes
Jim-Jam
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

Hi @amy556 ,

Appreciate all of your suggestions, but if you'll see in the thread, all of these have been tried, including getting to the end where you suggest reaching out to Samsung.

Firmware on all of this stuff, for years, has been kept up-to-date. We've tried extensive audio delay settings (described in detail) where you can align the audio, but then it's off-sync with the video.

eARC has been enabled and connected/tested with multiple HDMI 2.1 cables.

The Q-Symphony settings also tested. You have to manually put it on Q-Symphony mode, so I don't believe 'auto' would work.

And lastly, for the Apple TV 4K, if you put it on 5.1, then Atmos is disabled... which defeats the whole purpose here. Factory Reset hasn't worked either, as this seems to be a widespread issue, not something that bugged out with someone's specific device.

Do you work for Samsung? This sounds like a very 'customer service' answer with a variety of basic 'turn it off, turn it on' solves.

I opened this thread almost a year ago now and all I've seen is more and more customers reporting the same exact issues that I mentioned back then.

@Samsung_Moderator has disappeared from this thread as well as my private messages, so if you are customer service, can you please flag this thread to some higher-ups who may be able to offer help beyond an ultimate "just turn off the feature if it doesn't work"?

Thanks for your suggestions.

0 Likes
Alex C
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

I have similar problems with Qsymphony but in very strange instances. Some songs have reverb, in some videogames characters that talk from strange angles generate weird echoes and all sorts of strange desyncs in videos or movies where there is supposed to be some sort of room effect (like people talking in caves or closed spaces or if there is some background noise of some other kind) 

Kind of a hit and miss with the Qsymphony; it's really cool when it works, but super jarring when it messes up to the point it's not worth using. Still, hope in 10 years or something you guys can get it to work properly =)) 

It's weird that the desync occurs since I'm even using the e-ARC hdmi direct connection so I would assume that the bandwidth is not the issue itself but the way the information transfers between the tv and the soundbar. 

0 Likes
Pm00113
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Op. You have the best soundbar at the time with the best drivers. It can more than handle itself and put out an amazing Dolby Atmos. 

Why would you want to activate Q Symphony with the lesser TV drivers. Your basically clipping your wings of the soundbar. 

I run a s95b and q930b and had the same issues. I've had q symphony off for the duration. 

Q symphony gives lesser soundbars a boost but it just distorts the sound from the premium soundbars. 

Keep it off and stop worrying your missing out because your not! 

0 Likes
Jim-Jam
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

Appreciate your thoughts on this - when you're talking about the drivers, why would the Samsung soundbar have different/better drivers than the Samsung TV? 

Your perspective implies that the advertised 'Q-Symphony works with Atmos' is actually saying 'It'll "work", but even with the extra speakers, you're better off not using it because the sound quality is diminished with Q-Symphony'

I guess another way of asking my question is why are more speakers from the same company worse than less?

0 Likes
Pm00113
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

The size of the drivers in the TV are naturally going to be smaller than those in dedicated speakers and soundbars due to the space.

The soundbar has one job. Create sound. The TVs main job is to produce an excellent picture the speakers and sound are secondary. 

The sound from soundbar alone sounds better than the TV yes? 

So for them both to be in sync sound wise the soundbar needs to lower itself to the TV standards.

0 Likes
MichaelY01
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Oh dear - I think I have the same problem. I have a s95d and a q930d soundbar. I have Sky Stream feeding direct to hdmi 1 on the tv, and the soundbar is connected to the tv via hdmi 3 with eARC activated. Everything is fine except:

1. There is a perpetual speech sync issue which I believe is a SkyStream issue reported extensively on av Forum; and

2.  When watching a film with Atmos voices become sort of distorted - as though speaking in an oil drum!

I am awaiting new hdmi 2.1 ultra high speed cables for both connections, but fear they won’t make any difference. I’ve exhausted all ideas for setting adjustments. Switching off q symphony clearly works, but w hy should we have to do this when the facility to use q symphony is a feature which we have after all paid for? Not a happy bunny!

0 Likes