cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Q80R soundbar not recognized by Q90R TV in HDMI 3 ARC

@alake001 Thank you for reaching out, did any of the previous troubleshooting steps help? 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

KrAuSh
Cosmic Ray

@alake001  @SamsungCaleb  @SamsungCole  @SamsungLou 

I was eventually told that the soundbar must be defective so I exchanged it for a new one. The new one worked perfectly at first. I connected to the Smartthings app, and the tv right away. Then the next day when I turned on the tv it's the same thing. The TV remote, which is supposed to control the soundbar as well, only turns the TV on. When I then have to turn the soundbar on separately with it's remote, I know I'm in trouble. It's like the TV is literally forgetting that it's connected via HDMI 3 ARC. It will even show up as a sound ouput option in the menu when the tv is first turned back on, but when you go to click on Q80R HDMI, it will disappear as an option. The tv will then revert to tv speakers, and the Q80R will only show up as available via WIFI until you unplug it and plug it back in.

I now know two things. 

1. There's no way I got two defective soundbars in a row, so it's not the soundbar itself. 

2. I'd say it's the Oneconnect box, but my yamaha soundbar connects to the tv via HDMI 3 ARC with no issues whatsoever. So it doesn't make sense that it would be the Oneconnect box. The TV shows my blu ray player which is connected via the HDMI 2 passthrough on the soundbar. So the handshake is working on that INPUT with no issue. This problem is unique to the HDMI 3 ARC INPUT handshake between a Q80R Soundbar, and in my case a Q90R QLED.

Now here comes my rant. 

My only explanation is that there is some software issue/bug. I'm not sure if Samsung knows about this issue and is working on a future firmware patch or what. Can someone please confirm if this is a possibility, or if this is a known bug? That would go a long way towards making me feel like sticking with this product.

I reached out to Samsung and the woman helping me told me a technician would come to the house to look at it. A few minutes went by as she told me she was scheduling the technician visit. She then printed me a shipping label and told me to mail it in. When I told her she just told me the technician would come to my house she replied that for this particular item it's a mail in service. This would be a total waste of time as I suspect the soundbar by itself would present no issue. 

In both conversations I've had on the phone, or through chat with a Samsung representative, it's as if no one is even listening to what I'm saying. I describe the issue in detail, and then they say something like "ok, now let's make sure the HDMI connections are correct." Everything appears to just be read off of a script that contains 5 basic things to suggest a customer try. I've checked the connections, I've reset the tv, I've reset the soundbar. I've used different hdmi cables, I've tried a different soundbar (which works fine). There are no further troubleshooting steps. 

On the forums I definitely respect that the moderators are trying to help, but overall this has been one of the most frustrating product purchases I've ever made. The soundbar is $1,000, so I expect that it would just work, especially considering it says it's OPTIMZED FOR SAMSUNG QLED TV's. The level of irony that my Yamaha works fine, but my Samsung doesn't is overwhelming. I'm debating whether to sit it out and hope for a firmware patch because when it works I love it. At this point though I'm debating just returning it and going with a different brand. 

userrGTOyr0BpQ
Asteroid

Hi. I am having the exact same issues. Did this ever get fixed? I have the exact same TV and soundbar. Very frustrating. I think there is definitely a problem with these two devices talking to each other via HDMI 3.

KrAuSh
Cosmic Ray

@userrGTOyr0BpQ @userSVLd88xhoC The issue was never fixed. I eventually just returned the second unit and went with a different brand. There is something wrong with these Samsung soundbars. Like really wrong with them. I've seen a lot of people now saying they are experiencing the same issue. The technician had no idea either. He, and his supervisor recommended I return the second unit, and try a third one. No thanks. I don't know whether it's on the software side or what, but I would definitely not recommend buying one of these. I went through two units, and they both exhibited the exact same behavior. I have not had a single issue since getting a different brand. It's sad, because the soundbar had great sound, and I loved having the HDMI pass through inputs. But they're defective. 

userrGTOyr0BpQ
Asteroid

Would be nice if the Samsung moderators would comment on where things stand with this issue. Apparently everyone is experiencing the same thing. Samsung knows it and is doing nothing to help with the issue. 

KrAuSh
Cosmic Ray

They were helpful in the beginning, but then stopped checking in. It's not like it matters though. 

The only real advice you'll get for support from mods, or samsung reps themselves is to check the cables, reset the unit, or exchange it. 

I kept being told it must be defective. Other soundbars work fine with the TV so there's something specifically wrong with the HDMI 3 handshake between the Samsung bar/TV. 

At any rate, for $1000, it's a total joke of a product/support experience. 

userSVLd88xhoC
Asteroid

I thought I was the only one having an issue with the Arc 3 input 😄. I gave up and just use the Bluetooth between the TV and the sound bar... Oh well 😒

Highlighted
userrGTOyr0BpQ
Asteroid

Samsung needs to fix this problem or risk a serious class action. You can't sell a product that costs nearly a thousand dollars that won't work as intended with a paired Samsung TV! It is not acceptable to ask a customer to settle for WiFi or Bluetooth on a device designed to

work best with HDMI ARC. I would like Samsung to address this problem now vs punting on these boards and asking customers to reset (which does nothing) and/or just ignore the issue because there are other connection options.

userSVLd88xhoC
Asteroid

Obviously Samsung needs a better quality control program to ensure new products released go through an extensive trial period before going public. I assume they don't. It really boils down to poor management. If I was a product supervisor/manager this would never be satisfactory. Customers are merely pawns in the grand scheme of big business. I wish everyone here the best of luck in getting their issues resolved...

userrGTOyr0BpQ
Asteroid

Yes, but they should fix these issues now. It has been over a month since the user above hit the nail on the head with his/her complaints and radio silence from the board moderators. Still sending out defective products and selling them as a high end sound bar at Best Buy and other locations. I bought mine through Magnolia and have already called them to request a replacement but I am worried it will

have the exact same issues.