JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Q850T Soundbar Firmware 9/15/2021

(Topic created: 09-30-2021 11:11 AM)
Roperband
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

Updated last night by Wifi and it's causing massive issues.  First off, the update didn't really finish going through using "Smart Things."  It starts for a few seconds and then says there are no updates.

So now the soundbar gets stuck in a boot-loop when I try to connect the rear speakers.  If I unplug the rear speaker receiver the problem ceases, but this has made the unit unusable.

Anyone else update the firmware?

48 Replies
userXp9Ve7zYOD
Astronaut
Options
Home Theater

Another frustrated Q900T owner here who just found this thread via google. My problems started about a week ago and I have spent ages playing around trying to get it working. After 20mins of the boot loop I managed to get it working last night but no idea how. What I have noticed is that the sound sync issue over ARC I have experienced with my Sky Q service appears to have gone. I have not tried switching off my wireless rear speakers yet. Hopefully the boot loop issue is fixed in this new firmware update if I can find it and get it installed.

UPDATE: I downloaded the "latest" update from the Samsung website but it will not install - looked at the files on the USB stick and it appears to be an old firmware from March. Checked the reddit thread and they are saying the new firmware will be released on the 30th Sept 2021. Fingers crossed they fix this issue and also have fixed the audio sync issue - I have invested a lot of money in my Samsung TV and Soundbar - it should be better than this.

0 Likes
userChc2uSMGcT
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

So I have been trying to update this for 2 hours now. What a waste of time.  I even bought a micro to usb converter. Well, thanks for at least replying about this or I would have been stuck here going crazy all night. 

0 Likes
Roperband
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

Well, I got my unit back from Samsung (sent to a 10 year old address even though I made sure they updated the shipping address before I sent it to them!), and the unit was returned.  NOTHING WAS CHANGED!!  The tech even wrote a note saying it was tested and there was no issue...obviously they didn't test it at all with the rear speaker unit even though I made it very clear that's when the problem took place.

What a clown show that was and a complete waste of time, if this alleged firmware update on 9/30 doesn't happen or fix the problem then I'm going to demand a full reimbursement for this item.  Absolutely furious with Samsung right now.

0 Likes
Roperband
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

Looks like they took down the latest firmware on the site and put the old one back up.  Unfortunately, I can't install either by Wifi or USB.  We'll just have to wait for the newer firmware to fix this issue I guess.   😞

Solution
LobotomyFailure
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

OK, so the firmware that was just released today (Sept. 30) has fixed my soundbar.  Version 1021.0

I re-initialized my soundbar, had the SmartThings app find it, but it said there was no update available, so I updated the firmware via USB and it worked (so far).  FWIW, I formatted my USB to FAT32 and not NTFS, but I'm not sure if that makes any difference at all.

So I'm declaring the newest firmware release a minor success, only so far that it didn't further brick my soundbar.  I hope Samsung's product support team learned a lesson or two about improving their QA process before releasing firmware updates in the future.

Ah...who am I kidding?  They're a giant corporation...they're not going to learn anything.  I'm just going to turn the auto-update feature off on the app and be happy things are working again.

View solution in context

userjKO32wlNKI
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

Wonder how long it will take for them to push the update via WiFi.  I'm not buying an adapter to fix their screw up.

0 Likes
userUpeKmEHDSq
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Found new firware, version 1021.0 Sept 30, 2021, available at: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/

Tried to perform an update via the SmartThings app but it indicated there was no update available. As a result I downloaded the firmware Zip file and copied its content to the root of a flashdrive. Connected this flashdrive to the Q850T sound bar service port, with the sound bar on, and after a few seconds the sound bar began flashing UPDATE. Once the update completed the sound bar power cycled and came up on eARC and I had sound from the bar, rear speakers and woofer.

Turned the TV/Sound bar off for 30 minutes and then back on and eARC audio came back up as expected.

Fingers crossed that this latest firmware has permanently resolved the boot loop issue.

JuniorMT
Constellation
Options
Home Theater
Still cannot update via SmartThings app. Such **bleep** already. Be the last time I buy a product from this terrible company. Updating via WiFi should be the easiest thing in this day and age. Not to these idiots.
0 Likes
Roperband
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

I had to update via USB, but it worked pretty simply. 

0 Likes