JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Q850T Soundbar Firmware 9/15/2021

(Topic created: 09-16-2021 06:59 AM)
Roperband
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

Updated last night by Wifi and it's causing massive issues.  First off, the update didn't really finish going through using "Smart Things."  It starts for a few seconds and then says there are no updates.

So now the soundbar gets stuck in a boot-loop when I try to connect the rear speakers.  If I unplug the rear speaker receiver the problem ceases, but this has made the unit unusable.

Anyone else update the firmware?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
LobotomyFailure
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

OK, so the firmware that was just released today (Sept. 30) has fixed my soundbar.  Version 1021.0

I re-initialized my soundbar, had the SmartThings app find it, but it said there was no update available, so I updated the firmware via USB and it worked (so far).  FWIW, I formatted my USB to FAT32 and not NTFS, but I'm not sure if that makes any difference at all.

So I'm declaring the newest firmware release a minor success, only so far that it didn't further brick my soundbar.  I hope Samsung's product support team learned a lesson or two about improving their QA process before releasing firmware updates in the future.

Ah...who am I kidding?  They're a giant corporation...they're not going to learn anything.  I'm just going to turn the auto-update feature off on the app and be happy things are working again.

View solution in context

48 Replies
LobotomyFailure
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

Yep.  That's why I'm here.  I got out of the boot loop for a little while last night, but it's back at it today.  Beyond frustrating.  No solution.  What's the point of having "connected" stuff when it just breaks automagically?

Roperband
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

Well, I'm sending the unit back to Samsung for service.  I will update people when I get it back.  

0 Likes
LobotomyFailure
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

For me, sending it back is just too much of a hassle; I literally would rather buy a completely new unit (not Samsung this time, though).  I'm going to try the firmware upgrade again via USB and see if that works. 

What I have found out is that (in my case, anyway) is that the boot loop happens when the source is HDMI.  If it's anything else, it's ok. 

So clearly the lesson here is turn off automatic firmware upgrades, and only upgrade when absolutely necessary.

Roperband
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

I totally agree, I wasted a few hours yesterday trying to clear this up with them.  I'm just not going to let Samsung get away with it...lol.  What's weird is that when I tried the USB method it wouldn't register at all, which I guess means the new firmware was already installed?

And yeah, they clearly are reckless with their firmware upgrades.

0 Likes
LobotomyFailure
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

Quick question for you: you aren't using an LG TV in conjunction with your soundbar, are you?  I am, and there was an update to LG TVs pushed out at almost exactly the same time.

0 Likes
Roperband
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

Nah, Samsung TV Q80T

0 Likes
userBoQeGqSPUN
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

I am having the exact same issue.  Seems to have started after the 9/15/21 firmware update. 

0 Likes
LobotomyFailure
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

I've notified them on Twitter via @Samsungsupport about this.  There has been dialog via DM, but no resolution.  We need to keep visibility on this issue should we hope for a fix to be pushed out sooner rather than later.

0 Likes
userBoQeGqSPUN
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

I have a HW-Q900T with SWA-9000S wireless rear speakers.  Once I unplug rear speakers continuous reboot stops.  

0 Likes