cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Samsung N950 does not work properly with Xbox One X and PS4

@Tailgunner747 wrote:

Piece of $1500 JUNK.   The N950 is a BIG WASTE OF MONEY!!!!   Not worth $200.   Cannot hear the 2 surround speakers or subwoofer unless you put you head by them.  No way to increase volume on just them over the soundbar.  Like others cannot update it.  Even tried putting update on USB drive and plugging into the bottom of soundbar but Still Nothing.   Do not buy the JUNK!!!

I'm sure you can adjust the volume of the sub and the rear speakers.  I've done this myself and the directions on how to do it are in the manual.

Jordyn11
Constellation

Thanks for posting.  I can confirm the same behaviour having also upgraded from the k950.  Very disappointing for a high end product, so I also hope that this can be quickly rectified via firmware.

userPmLOmzTbsU
Constellation

I'm having that issue as well. I also have a handshake issue. I get a black screen that goes fuzzy when first powering on everything & I have to turn the soundbar off & then back on to get the picture.

njikke
Constellation

@RG9400 wrote:

I was super excited to update from the Samsung HW-K950 to the Samsung HW-N950, but I have noticed a major flaw in this soundbar right now.

On Xbox One X, you can use the Dolby Access App to upmix all audio to Atmos; however, the N950 does not properly decode this data. It seems to map the rear channels to the side channels. Everything that is upmixed will cause the rear speakers to be silent -- not quiet -- literally silent. If you switch to normal Dolby Digital Bitstream, they start firing correctly. If you play *actual* real Atmos discs or games, they fire correctly. Netflix also seems to fire correctly. However, quick tests of Plex, live TV, and certain games will quickly replicate this issue. It has been confirmed by multiple people on AVS Forums as well. A quick easy test is to load Halo Master Chief Collection and just stay on the menu screen. Using Dolby Atmos for Home Theater sound mode, the rears are completely silent. Switch to Dolby Digital, the difference is dramatic. Here's the kicker...plug in HW-K950 and switch back to Dolby Atmos for Home Theater, and the difference is night and day. I don't know what happened, but the N950 sounds significantly worse than the older K950 due to this, and a lot of people use Xbox One X with this device for the upmixed Atmos -- it is a major problem.

Additionally, testing on the PS4 Pro revealed similar issues. When on the home menu or playing certain games (I have tried with NBA 2k18 since music on the menu screen is easy to test with), rears are completely silent again -- once again, stressing that they are not simply "quiet."

It is important to note that for both PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, certain games *do* work correctly. Star Wars Battlefront 2, Assassins Creed, Rise of the Tomb Raider, all seem to cause rear speakers to fire; however, these games have hi-def object-oriented audio already. The issue seems to be in cases where that does not exist.   

I hope the Samsung engineers can quickly patch this major bug and push a firmware update.

Same problem here with my brand new HW-N960 and Xbox One (oldest, not S/X). It has the firmware 1002.5 as a factory setting. Different games work differenty when using Dolby Access App to upmix audio to Atmos: For example Halo Master Chief Collection menu screen behaves like you describe, no audio from the rears. When I start _playing_ Halo 4, the rears work correctly. But then for example in GTAV the rears are completely silent no matter what in-game settings I use for the audio; the only way to get the rears working is to select DTS Digital Surround or Dolby Digital from Xbox audio settings.

Interesting that people report that these problems have started from the firmware 1003.0 and that K950 hasn't these problems. Would be nice to know if Samsung has acknowledged this and doing something to correct these problems.

Highlighted
usertJbMKZs8wr
Asteroid

I can confirm this bug is real. In other words it causes inproper mapping of channels on Xbox One in some games and apps when its audio source is set to Dolby atmos (or Uncompressed 7.1)

Let me summarize the set up, and problems.

Xbox one X is connected to N950 via Hdmi 1 and N950 is connected to my TV via Hdmi ARC (Sony KD-X900e).

Xbox one X audio settings are set to Bitstream - Dolby Atmos and to passthrough audio for receiver for xbox one x blu-ray app. With this setting the N950 displays dolby atmos message on its own display ( so far all good...)

1) playing atmos movies from blu-rays and playing games that support atmos (e.g. Gears of war 4) - Atmos audio plays correctly, All speakers of N950 play atmos audio correctly. System sounds of the Xbox one x play correctly from relevant speakers of N950 = no problems.

2) playing non-atmos movies from blu-rays - audio plays correctly, relevant speakers play audio correctly (tested on blu-rays with audio tracks DTS, DTS MA, DD, DD True Hd, various combinations of channels from 2.0, 5.1, 7.1) = no problems

3) playing a 5.1 movie from Netflix app on Xbox one X (I do not have Netflix UHD plan so I can not verify atmos movies) - audio plays correctly, relevant speakers play audio correctly = no problems.

now the problematic part:

3) playing non-atmos games - depends on a game.

The main problem is that in some games (e.g. Call of duty WWII, Call of duty Infinite Warfare, Battlefield 4 and One, and others) the rear channels are mapped to the side speakers and rear speakers of N950 are totally silent. Switching the audio setting of Xbox one X to Bitstream Dolby Digital or Dts or switching to Uncompressed 5.1 corrects the problem and the rear speakers play audio correctly (however this is not the way how the problem must be solved). What is also strange is that with audio set to Uncompressed 7.1 for those games, the rear speakers are silent too and they are mapped to side speakers (the same way as when audio is set to Bitstream - Dolby atmos).

4) playing a UHD movie with 6 channel audio (5.1) from Movies & TV app on xbox (tested on free samples of Kong, Black Panther) - the same problem like above occurs, rear speakers are silent and their sound is played from side speakers until audio is switched to above mentioned audio sources.

Now please, any Samsung support team member or moderator or anyone from Samsung who is reading this, please forward this problem to relevant support people to correct this problem, please.  This should be the best soundbar and it has some annoying problems.

(Not mentioning auto power off feature which can not be turned off, very vague definitions of some functions in the manual like Virtual function and Smart sound - who wrote the manual for this product? A traniee emploee ?.... )

userw1SDJ3MB5D
Constellation

If only i found this forum before i purchased this last night! I had the samsung k-850 and i feel as though that was so much better even without the rears! (still had issues with connections). Im having issues with the bass? It is no where near as deep and loud as the k series, even after adjusting it to +6. Just purchased red dead and my rear speakers arnt working. Im very dissapointed and upset after spending 2k on this and i recently just bought a Qseries tv i feel ripped off. Samsung always make a product and never update it after its release. They wont fix these issues they will just make you wait until next year and have another revised product. If they dont do a firmware update on this soon im returning it and going with another brand and this will be my last samsung purchase.

userL8eO2gbx2I
Constellation

Hello everybody,
as I have already read I have the same problems.
I am very disappointed with Samsung. What Samsung does with his customers is outrageous. Samsung does not even give out a status that they seriously work on the problem. She just does not care. The new TVs are synonymous not Dolby Atmos, LG and Sony that is not an issue, there is Dolby Atmos for a long time. But that's another topic.
As a customer, I can expect problems such as compatibility between devices from well-known manufacturers. but it would have 100 people complaining then maybe something would do. all very sad. Weak Samsung and weak also the moderators of this forum do not even take a stand or even give a status report, even though they read and track everything here.

usertJbMKZs8wr
Asteroid

3) playing non-atmos games - depends on a game.

The main problem is that in some games (e.g. Call of duty WWII, Call of duty Infinite Warfare, Battlefield 4 and One, and others) the rear channels are mapped to the side speakers and rear speakers of N950 are totally silent. Switching the audio setting of Xbox one X to Bitstream Dolby Digital or Dts or switching to Uncompressed 5.1 corrects the problem and the rear speakers play audio correctly (however this is not the way how the problem must be solved). What is also strange is that with audio set to Uncompressed 7.1 for those games, the rear speakers are silent too and they are mapped to side speakers (the same way as when audio is set to Bitstream - Dolby atmos).

4) playing a UHD movie with 6 channel audio (5.1) from Movies & TV app on xbox (tested on free samples of Kong, Black Panther) - the same problem like above occurs, rear speakers are silent and their sound is played from side speakers until audio is switched to above mentioned audio sources.

EXPLANATION - and possible "solution" how to get the best surround experience in games on XBOX ONE

Ok guys, after deep exploring of various audio forums I think I know where or what is the "problem" here.

First, now I think that it is NOT fault of N950 when it is not outputting audio from Rear Surround speakers in some games when audio source in XBOX ONE is set to Dolby Atmos or Uncompressed 7.1.

Let me explain this:

According Dolby HT instalation guides on pages 22 and 26  (https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-home-theater-installation-guideline...) in classic 5.1 speaker setup, you have left and right Surround speakers, while in 7.1 setup you have left and right Surround speakers (or so called Side speakers in N950) and left and right Rear Surround speakers (but Samsung just calls them wrongly by N950 - the Surround speakers in the manual).

Once again, note that in classic 5.1 setup, there are no Rear speakers, there are just Surround speakers (which are actually Side speakers in N950 as it is 7.1.4 system). Now you maybe starting to see what is behind our problem.....

When you have set your XBOX ONE to bitstream Dolby Atmos for games and apps, the XBOX ONE probably set firmly the highest possible speaker setup for your soundbar (or receiver) which in case of N950 is 7.1.4. BUT, it does not mean that it is upmixing everything to 7.1.4 for N950 everytime.  If the source is a classic stereo signal you should still get 2.1., but the selected speaker preset on the backround (you can not see it as you selected Atmos) is probably still 7.1.4. As XBOX ONE is outputting everything in Atmos to N950 (or to a receiver) constantly, you will  see DOLBY ATMOS on display of N950 even when you are in dashboard and you can not switch any of Sound modes on N950 as in Dolby Atmos mode the N950 does not allow to change it.

From what I read on various forums where users had various audio receivers, this is the correct way how the channels are mapped when you have firmly selected 7.1 speakers setup without any upmixing preset in a receiver. If you would have real physical 7.1 speaker setup then you would have those surround speakers next to your couch (or slightly behind) and your Rear surround speakers would be more behind your couch (see the pdf link above) so you would maybe felt the surround more like the way you would expected. Anyway the N950 does its job quite good by its Side firing speakers I think. Many times I thought I heard sound from behind me in 5.1 game, but this was done by Side speakers not by Rear speakers.

Now you maybe wonder why the K950 was outputting audio correctly and N950 it is "not". Well, the true is probably that both soundbars are ouputting the channels correctly but they differ in the speaker setup. K950 is 5.1.4 and N950 is 7.1.4. If would put both soundbars to 5.1 Uncompressed (or to Bitstream Dolby Digital or DTS) then they should output audio equally to the same speakers. 

Now to games...

When a game is outputting audio "only" in 5.1 surround and your speaker setup is set firmly as 7.1.4 by Dolby Atmos (or in 7.1 by Uncompressed 7.1) those Surround channels from 5.1 audio source are mapped actually correctly to 5.1 Surround speakers (which are actually Side speakers in case of N950). If the a game is in 7.1, then you will get sound also from Rear Surround speakers.

Recently released Red Dead Redemption 2 seems to be surprisingly only 5.1 game (no 7.1 or atmos) and gamers arguing that there is no sound from Rear Surround speakers on their 7.1 setups. Similarly, GTA 5 is probably only 5.1 game, so there is the same result of channel mapping for any 7.1 system without any upmixing preset. It is actually very hard to find what kind of surround (5.1 or 7.1) a game supports, as there is usually no direct description from developer (it is promoted only when games support Atmos). Even for big titles like Call of Duty games and Battlefield, you can hardly find what kind of surround they support (5.1 or 7.1).

Now, how to get the best experience for gaming with N950 on XBOX ONE?

It is a tricky task and currently it can not be achieved without switching speaker audio settings in XBOX ONE settings.

1) Recommended - You can leave settings at Dolby Atmos for 7.1 and Atmos games and optionally switch to 5.1 Uncompressed for 5.1 games.

When the game is outputting the sound in 7.1 or it is an Atmos game then everything will be ok - you will hear sounds from respective speakers.  When you start a game which has only 5.1 surround then you will not hear sounds from Rear surround speakers, but "only" from Side speakers of N950 (which is correct in the 7.1 setup).

Then you can either leave as it is (which is actually the correct way how to listen this content on 7.1 system) or if you want the traditional surrond experience you can manually switch speaker setup in XBOX ONE settings to 5.1 Uncompressed (or Bitstream Dolby Digital or DTS if you want to have a little bit louder but lossy sound). After switching to 5.1 you will hear sounds from your Rear Surround speakers (nothing should come from Side speakers however) as this way XBOX ONE sends now only 5.1 speaker setup and N950 sets this way as 5.1 setup (not 7.1 and is getting rid of its Side speakers.)

OR

2) Set your speaker settings in XBOX ONE settings directly to 5.1 Uncompressed (or Bitstream Dolby Digital or DTS if you want to have a little bit louder but lossy sound).

This way you should hear sounds from Rear Surround speakers in every game (assuming it is not in Stereo only). In this setup you can turn on the upmixing present on N950 to SURROUND by pressing Sound Mode button. This way N950 will be upmixing 5.1 content to ALL speakers so you will get virtual 7.1.4 from a 5.1 source. But, in this setup when you start the game which is 7.1 or Atmos game you will loose the original channel mapping to propper speakers as it will be downmixed by XBOX ONE to 5.1 (remember you set it to 5.1 Uncompressed). The easiest way is to switch it back to Atmos only if you will play an Atmos game (there only few of them currently, which will change in future however) and do not care of 7.1 games (they will be downmixed to 5.1)

The choice is yours.....

I will invite any comments on this.

One note, what I wrote above are just my personal findings from reading of many of forums and experience of users with their audio sources on their 5.1 and 7.1 setups. Note that many of those users have the same experience on recievers like Denon, Onkyo,... so this is why I think it is not the fault of Samsung.

userL8eO2gbx2I
Constellation

Hello, no matter what, it can not be that a system that should give an improvement in this case from k950 to N950 for people who have changed the update for their XBox to N950 not the quality (Atmos) with the before the K950 was possible.
The problem is clearly with Samsung, because the XBox one X is not just any console, but just like the PS4 are the most popular consoles on the market. I expect from Samsung that when a new soundbar comes on the market, something like that by Samsung in any case and sufficiently tested. The customer trusts that if he buys a newer generation it benefits him and in no case brings deterioration.
Since it does not matter which theory someone has, but Samsung should go quickly and fix this error or deterioration.
So you leave customers who have opted for Samsung not in the rain.
Please Samsung fixes the bug please!

usertJbMKZs8wr
Asteroid

Well, I agree that instead I was forced to explore of many forums to find out what and how it should work, Samsung should explain and answer our questions first....The manual is very vague on some functions and features too ......

Regarding to improvement over K950, I can not compare, as I did not own K950.

Currently, the only isuue I have with N950 is the auto off feature which can not be turn off. I am on FW 1001.2.

I do not have any disconnects of rears and subwoofer (although I had some, but they disppeared after I powered down everything and then restared).

I am satisfied with the bass coming from subwoofer (needed to find the best position for it in my room). The movies no matter of audio format (DD, DTS, ATMOS) sound great, music from Spotify too.

Games are great too, when audio is set properly. Sure I would invite if I was not forced to switch speaker settings in XBOX ONE manually when I play 5.1 game, but I think that it is not fault of Samsung but is rather matter of how  Dolby Atmos from XBOX ONE is sent to receivers and soundbars. By the way, as far as I know, it was changed by xbox update, as before it made some problems that some receiver did not detected properly the change of speaker setup and formats. We may see another updates for Atmos on xbox as it still has some problems (sound glitches or dropouts for some people)