cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Samsung Q70 tv turns right back on after turn it off

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have a Samsung Q70 tv, with Q70 soundbar connected through HDMI.  Comcast Xfinity connected to HDMI port 3.  TV is software version T-MSMAKUC-1315.4, B0970101/070104, BT - S.

TV seems to be working good, can control the soundbar, Xfinity, Xbox apps all with the smart remote.  The problem I'm having is when I press the power button on Samsung remote to turn off the tv.  The tv turns off as it should, but a lot of the time the tv is turning right back on about 15-30 seconds by itself right after I turn it off.  If I press "tv power" using the Comcast remote the tv will stay off and not turn back on.  The issue seems to be with the Samsung remote?

I've tried messaging Samsung support and their fix seem to be to turn off the anynet+ which would cause me to need to use 3-4 separate remotes rather than the 1 "smart" remote.  That doesn't seem like a viable option to fix the issue of tv turning on by itself....

Any ideas greatly appreciated! 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Samsung Q70 tv turns right back on after turn it off

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I ended up taking batteries out of Samsung remote after trying a few other things and works fine now, I actually started having issue after an update so hoping next update fixes.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It's an issue with the Comcast cable box sending a signal to the television to turn on. 

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Oh alright - so there's no other fix, other than using the Comcast remote to turn off the TV rather than Samsung remote?

I just upgraded to the new X1 Comcast box; was hoping that would fix the problem (since had the 3 year old Comcast box prior).  

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Not really, the television is doing what it is designed to do. Detect a signal and turn on.

The Comcast cable box sees that there is all of a sudden no signal so it sends another one which causes the television to turn on. 

Turning off Anynet+ works because it tells the television to ignore signals telling it to power on. 

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Oh I see; that makes sense.  I could turn off cable power box before turning off tv, that should fix problem right?  Except if the cable box is off won't the DVR not record?

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

That should fix the problem. I'm not sure about the DVR bit though, that would depend on the cable box and if the DVR can run in standby mode.

I would hope that it is advanced enough to just save information at certain times instead of actually "record" channels at certain times but that would be a question for Comcast. 

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You keep saying it's a cable box or satellite box that is turning the tv back on. My problem is that doesn't explain the issue. Although that may be a reason that it can happen, it is NOT the reason it is occurring for some of the posts. Like myself, I have nothing connected to my 2 new TVs, no sound bar, no cable box. The only thing connected is my WiFi. I am streaming 100%.  I have a Q60 and a Q 70. It has happened to both TVs where it has turned on shortly after being turned off. I am only using the Samsung remote. It almost seems as if something in the TV is updating and when you turn it off, it spontaneously comes back on to cycle the update.  SamsungGill although a cable box may be a culprit in some conditions, it is not the reason this is happening when several post indicate that they like myself are only connected to WiFi.  Again, I have NO accessories connected to my TV and it doesn't randomly happen. It happens right after turning the TV off. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I ended up taking batteries out of Samsung remote after trying a few other things and works fine now, I actually started having issue after an update so hoping next update fixes.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I took my remote batteries out and put them back in. The tv isn't turning back on my itself anymore. Thanks! Not sure what the issue was but that worked.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the same issue and I don't have any devices connected to the TV at all. Only wifi. What bothers me a lot is that the show being turned on is randomly selected from the "universal guide" (something on Gravitas) which I never watch. I'm almost hating this TV now.