cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hirokage
Asteroid

Samsung Q80 TV + Soundbar - Sync Issues

Recently purchased the Samsung 75" Q80R with the Q80 soundbar, thinking they would play well together. I connected the soundbar to my TV using the HDMI Arc port with 18Gbps HDMI cables. I also have a Sony Bluray connected to my soundbar. I have audio sync issues while using the soundbar only - with TV, audio is synced with video. The Sync setting for the soundbar is set at 0, and it's still clearly out of sync. Firmware seems to be latest version as well.

Does anyone have suggestions for fixing this? I'd have thought their own components would work well together.

15 REPLIES 15
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Samsung Q80 TV + Soundbar - Sync Issues

Does this occur on all sources and inputs on the television? Does it occur with the Blu-ray? Have you tried using an optical connection? What is the current software version on the television?

Hirokage
Asteroid

Hey there Gill.

So when I turn the soundbar off, and use just the TV, it seems fine. If it's off (and maybe the soundbar has me imagining it), it's imperceptible. I just tested the Bluray, and it has the same sync problem - I have it plugged directly into the soundbar.

The firmware version matches what I see available for download online:  1312 I believe.

I tested a bit more. The delay only seems to occur with Xfinity / Comcast. Netflix and Youtube are fine. Bluray played without any delays as well. I'd suspect Internet connection through Comcast, but Netflix and Youtube are delivered through the same Internet without a problem. I changed the setting in audio for Xfinity to Dolby (and expert mode), and same results - a very noticable delay in audio.

Anyone with Xfinity have an idea what could cause this? 

JP11
Cosmic Ray

I wasn’t able to quite figure out how you have things connected but I have the Q80R soundbar connected to a Sony 4K tv using the HDMI ARC ports. I initially had a bad audio sync/lag issue with my Verizon Fios One dvr. I had it connected at first to the tv. If you search through audio sync posts you’ll see this is a very common issue. There are a couple settings on the tv that will help but you’ll lose some of the available audio formats. What worked for me was connecting the dvr to the soundbar. That got rid of the lag although certain channels occasionally have this glitch. But 99% of the issue is gone. 

My previous soundbar a Samsung K550 was connected by an optical cable to the tv and did not have this problem when i had the dvr connected to the tv. Going by my experience and what I’ve read from others’ posts the HDMI ARC connection introduces this issue. I think the manufacturers need to figure this out. But connecting your Comcast dvr directly to the soundbar should resolve this. It did for most of us. 

Hirokage
Asteroid

I'll give that a try, thank you! But the question I have - there are only 2 inputs (other than the one to the TV from the soundbar), to the soundbar. So.. say I hook up the DVR and my BluRay player. If I want to say, hook up a game console - if I plug that directly into my TV, will it get full benefits from the soundbar as well? Will the TV handle the soundbar-stuff since it is plugged into it?

tamanaco
Halo

I also have a Q80R QLED TV, but attached to a Q70R soundbar. Yesterday, I installed firmware 1315.4 that was just release and found that the Lip-Sync issue from my cable box  was "somewhat" diminished, but I could be wrong. (Cable box is connected to a HDMI port on the TV and the TV is connected via HDMI (ARC) to the soundbar) To me it appears that the Lip-Sync issue is less noticeiable in some channels after the firmware update, but it is still apparent  in other channels. The only way I can get rid of the Lip-Sync issue from my cable box to the soundbar, as currently connected, is to set the Audio Ouput Format to PCM. But, once changed to PCM you loose the enhanced audio formats (Dolby) features. 

Hirokage
Asteroid

It seems to be on the HD channels to me. Or at least the channels that look HD, not sure they really are. I routed the Xfinity DVR into the soundbar directly, and then, multiple (lower res) channels starting working normal. But all of the channels with better quality audio were still out of sync. Annoyingly so.

But.. Netflix is fine. Bluray is fine. Youtube is fine. It's only Xfinity. So is it a Samsung issue, or an Xfinty issue? I might see if there is a firmware upgrade for the DVR, maybe that will help.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

If it's only happening with the Xfinity then it could be an xfinity issue, seeing about an update would be a good next step to try. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

BigPest2724
Cosmic Ray

Really annoying isn't it. Channel 5 is bad for lipsync and you are right it's not on all channels and varies with the content.

I'm.not getting a split second dropout on my bar which wasn't there previously too. 

I've swapped hdmis over etc and tried every setting however it's still the same and this is my second q80r bar too after the first wouldnt work properly when powered on or switched over from blu ray. 

Can you please have a listen to yours and check it out..it's every few mins on mine 

userKyIPWUqclG
Constellation

Ugh!  This entire post is depressing because I recently purchased a 75" Q80R and Q80 soundbar.  I quickly noticed the slight to moderate lag and had friends make comments on the lag without me prompting them.  I see the issue on regular cable as well as Netflix, Amazon, etc.  Sometimes it appears ok and other times the sync is clearly off.  I didn't buy an expensive soundbar to become an audio expert, making multiple adjustments on the tv and soundbar when needed.  I especially love when someone is walking and you can hear their steps are out of sync with the sound.  This soundbar should come with an audio expert and therapist!

I'm currently using an optical cable but wondering if HDMI (though inferior) would solve the problem?  I'm beginning to hate Samsung.