Original topic:

Samsung Samsung HW-Q950A - display showing dolby atmos, but not dolby digital, dts and other formats

(Topic created: 09-18-2021 03:25 PM)
uplink
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

Hey there,

on my previous soundbars from LG, JBL, Klipsch, Panasonic and other brands, when I played some content via eARC/ARC, I always saw what the soundbar was decoding. E.g. LG soundbars recognize among Dolby Atmos and Dolby Audio [which is also counted as DTS].

With HW-950A I can only see Dolby Atmos, but not other codecs, thus I have no idea whether soundbar is trying to decode Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, DTS-MA, DTS TrueHD, or plain PCM [stereo] signal.

And due to fact that soundbar can add effects to both Dolby Atmos and other sound codecs, I'm also at loss of information by this method. Other soundbards don't support  all the sound effects/modes, when Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, DTS-MA or DTS TrueHD are being decoded.

Would it be possible to add this feature to some future firmware update?

I compared this soundbar system with Sennheiser Ambeo, and I really like this one, though, I'm kind of confused with this feature. I really want to know whether my content is being decoded properly.

Thank You and I stay with best regards

uplink

4 Replies
user59EIUSfwaQ
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Hi, I really liked your article, you seem like an expert on the subjects.  Just wanted your thoughts, if you can spare a few minutes, on this; brand new 85 inch QLED8k TV, brand new flag ship Samsung 616 watt 11.4 channel sound bar system. As highly advertised, these devices together, that sell for about $6500 plus tax oh by the by, should have all the 32 total speakers (22 on the sound bar, 10 on the TV) working seamlessly together… Using the provided plugs andone connection in the box, a 2.1 ARC HDMI cable.  no one can figure out why you can’t get all speakers to work together in this mode. The only option they give me is the use of Bluetooth connection (which I’m very skeptical, with my limited knowledge, whether I’m even getting Dolby Atmos and all that with Bluetooth??  That we choirs pressing a button on the TV on one remote and another on the sound bar remote to volume up or down or mute. Nuts.

0 Likes
uplink
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

Hey there buddy!

You're absolutely right, there's not a chance in **bleep** to get what You want via Bluetooth :(.

So, You're trying to use the Q-Symphony function? Getting sound out of Your TV + soundbar at the same time, correct? 

0 Likes
user59EIUSfwaQ
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Hi there. Thank you for your reply.  Yes I’m trying to get audio from both the TV and the sound bar via HDMI eARC.

0 Likes
uplink
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

Your TV is QN900A (2021), correct?

I'd try to get the newest version as is stated on the webpage, I see You probably wrote there too.

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/samsung-neo-qled-8k/85-qn900a-neo-qled-8k-sm...

And than, just a dumb question, the soundbar itself plays correctly, right? You can decode Dolby Atmos from Netflix, or Amazon with no problems?

If yes, do You have the these options on Your TV?

When a Samsung Soundbar that supports Q-Symphony is connected, the menu name such as "TV + Soundbar"

Appears under Sound Output ( Settings > Sound > Sound Output). Select the menu.
Example) TV + [AV] Soundbar series name (HDMI) or TV + Optical.

Do You have it there? Please let me know.

P.S.: Don't forget to use eARC port on the TV for eARC, but I believe You already do that [HDMi port 2 it should be, I've never had such a strong TV as You have now, so I've no idea, it's just a guesswork on my side.]

0 Likes