cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Skwid10
Constellation

Samsung TV, Samsung Soundbar, And XBox .. Help!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm frustrated.

I can't seem to get everything to work together.  I have a Samsung JS8500 and the Samsung HW-K950 soundbar.  Pairing this with the Xbox 1X has been a headbanger.

From what I understand, in order to get Dolby Atmos support for the xbox, I need to connect the xbox directly into the back of the soundbar.   The enables me to get Atmos up and running on the xbox.  However, with this configuration the X1 shows that HDR 10 Support is not available. 

In order to get HDR 10,  I need to plug the xbox directly into the One Connect Mini.  However, the soundbar cannot pass Dolby Atmos support through the one connect mini.

Help!  How do I get the two samsung products to work together to be able to get both HDR 10 AND Dolby Atmos simultaneously?   

Please don't tell me I've wasted money by being Samsung Loyal and have to pick between these two technologies.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
userEATPKeIVIZ
Cosmic Ray

Re: Samsung TV, Samsung Soundbar, And XBox .. Help!

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Note my opinion is sprinkled throughout, but below is my setup that I use to hopefully give you your answers.

I have a Xbox One S, HW-K950, and Samsung UN65KS8000 (2016 TV)

Via HDMI, I go from the Xbox, to the Soundbar (HDMI 1), Soundbar to the ARC HDMI on the Samsung TV. Note that atmos won't run backwards from the TV to the soundbar, that's why I chose to run my cable and run all of my streaming apps (Netflix, amazon prime, etc) through the Xbox. Also the Xbox "upscales" to 4K, but slightly improves my cable picture.

Good rules of thumb before you get started, make sure your soundbar and TV has been updated with the latest firmware. Assuming you have linked to your Wi-Fi, you can update your TV using your options, and the soundbar using the Samsung Multi-Room App on your smart phone (google the directions if you can't find it).

Make sure the Xbox Video settings are set to HDR10, and your TV. On mine I had to switch on the individual HMDI input in the video option pages.

Also, I decided to run my cable through the Xbox, and run the Dolby Atmos sound audio option, which coverts all audio through the Xbox (cable, streaming, games, music, etc) to "atmos like" sound, which sounds great. I constantly have a blue light on the soundbar. I don't like the quality soundbar default settings, but the atmos brings the soundbar alive and kicks!

I've also heard of individuals switching HDMI cables to get it to work, but I suggest doing this last only if needed.

Once you get it setup, its great, takes a little time though. Note this is an alternative to a full blown receiver and surround sound package, so it takes more time to set it up, but costs much less.

Good luck.
2 REPLIES 2
userEATPKeIVIZ
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Note my opinion is sprinkled throughout, but below is my setup that I use to hopefully give you your answers.

I have a Xbox One S, HW-K950, and Samsung UN65KS8000 (2016 TV)

Via HDMI, I go from the Xbox, to the Soundbar (HDMI 1), Soundbar to the ARC HDMI on the Samsung TV. Note that atmos won't run backwards from the TV to the soundbar, that's why I chose to run my cable and run all of my streaming apps (Netflix, amazon prime, etc) through the Xbox. Also the Xbox "upscales" to 4K, but slightly improves my cable picture.

Good rules of thumb before you get started, make sure your soundbar and TV has been updated with the latest firmware. Assuming you have linked to your Wi-Fi, you can update your TV using your options, and the soundbar using the Samsung Multi-Room App on your smart phone (google the directions if you can't find it).

Make sure the Xbox Video settings are set to HDR10, and your TV. On mine I had to switch on the individual HMDI input in the video option pages.

Also, I decided to run my cable through the Xbox, and run the Dolby Atmos sound audio option, which coverts all audio through the Xbox (cable, streaming, games, music, etc) to "atmos like" sound, which sounds great. I constantly have a blue light on the soundbar. I don't like the quality soundbar default settings, but the atmos brings the soundbar alive and kicks!

I've also heard of individuals switching HDMI cables to get it to work, but I suggest doing this last only if needed.

Once you get it setup, its great, takes a little time though. Note this is an alternative to a full blown receiver and surround sound package, so it takes more time to set it up, but costs much less.

Good luck.
Skwid10
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Ah ha!

Okay.  Apparently my problem was with the individual input capabilities.  Running HDMI from the X1 into the soundbar (HDMI1), and then running HDMI from the soundbar to the One Connect TV arc switches my TV input to HDMI 4 (Set as an AV Receiver).

By default, HDMI UHD Color is not enabled on this port.  I had to go to back into the manuals to find out how to enable UHD HDR for this one.

Menu/123 >> Menu >> Picture >> Picture Options >> HDMI UHD Color 

From there I was able to turn on the HDMI UHD Color for HDMI 4 ... and ... Perfect.  4K, HDR, And Atmos.

I had my cable running into the x1 when it first came out.  I switch away from that some time ago.  I may revisit it and see how how well the upscaling works.   

Thanks for the help!