Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
userIkCfK9W9Q3
Asteroid

Soundbar? Have an issue hearing voices.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have an older Samsung soundbar. It is a 2.1. I have been told that I should get at least a 3.1 to solve the issue I have. My issue is that I have a hard time hearing the words spoken and especially singing voices or voices during sports broadcast. Is there a particular model that any of you are familiar with that might solve my issue. Thanks for any help.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JP11
Cosmic Ray

Re: Soundbar? Have an issue hearing voices.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Never heard of those. But all soundbar’s will have some issues with voice clarity versus background sounds or special effects. The 2.1 versions such as what you and I had will be particularly problematic with no dedicated center speaker. Part of the problem is that the bar will pick up so many other sounds that you might not hear on a tv’s speakers, shoes scuffing on the floor, ventilation systems in the background, street noises, etc. Again I have to say that my Q80 has proven to be excellent for voice and dialog. You might just want to go to a store and look at the demos and see how they sound in voice comparisons. I’ve been very happy with the Samsung’s I have even though my tv is a Sony. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
JP11
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I had the same issue with a previous soundbar that was also 2.1, those only have 2 outside speakers. That 3.1 indicates there will be a third, center, speaker that is generally used for dialog and voices. I currently have an HW-Q80R samsung bar which is excellent for voices but may be more than you need. Prior to getting it I was using a Samsung K550 which had the center speaker and actually was quite good for voices. In addition it had a Night mode which quieted special effects so allowed you to increase the volume to where you were happy with the dialog without vibrating your floors. It also had a Voice mode that was supposed to help with that but I found Night mode to be more effective. 

That K550 was purchased several years ago and there are now newer versions, look for letter designations beyond K, that are labeled at least 3.1 and I do recommend looking for those that have a Night mode. My Q80 does not but it handles voices in a different way. But it may be more expensive than what you need. 

userIkCfK9W9Q3
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks for your input Cosmic Ray!! I did some searching on the internet and found another brand called ZVOX with Accuvoice. Wondering if they are just a gimmick thing or whether they actually may be better than Samsung?

JP11
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Never heard of those. But all soundbar’s will have some issues with voice clarity versus background sounds or special effects. The 2.1 versions such as what you and I had will be particularly problematic with no dedicated center speaker. Part of the problem is that the bar will pick up so many other sounds that you might not hear on a tv’s speakers, shoes scuffing on the floor, ventilation systems in the background, street noises, etc. Again I have to say that my Q80 has proven to be excellent for voice and dialog. You might just want to go to a store and look at the demos and see how they sound in voice comparisons. I’ve been very happy with the Samsung’s I have even though my tv is a Sony. 

View solution in original post

userIkCfK9W9Q3
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks for your input Cosmic Ray.