JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Soundbar silent for a second after input audio format changes and reset does not help

(Topic created: 11-27-2023 11:45 AM)
amp2
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

I posted this before and it was closed without me having the chance to respond. The previous response recommended "turn it off and back on again" and a factory reset. I did both and it did not change the behavior at all. Is there any actual information that might be helpful for this issue?

The original message is below:

I have a Q990C and it plays great audio, but doesn't actually start outputting sound until about a second after the input starts. This I think this happens any time the input format changes (e.g., 5.1 to stereo). The video does not change or cut out and this happens when starting to play content (like a youtube video) from either a computer or Roku. My setup uses HDMI passthrough (input devices are plugged into the soundbar and my projector plugged into the output). I have tried all the modes I can find through the app and remote.

Has anyone encountered this or know something that might help understand it?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Home Theater

I would recommend calling our remote management team to get further support, you can reach them by calling in directly at 1 (800) 726-7864 and asking for them. 

View solution in context

6 Replies
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Home Theater

Hello! This does seem normal as the format is changing, the soundbar will need to be updated to process the information. If the soundbar stops playing entirely and has no sound for longer than that sec then there may be an issue. As in stops playing and does not start back at all. 

Just want to make sure also when it does this, are you having audio delays? 

0 Likes
amp2
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

The audio stays in sync with the video if that's what you mean. What I'm seeing is effectively the audio being muted for a short time whenever a YouTube (or other) video starts. Notably this still happens when I setup the Roku to always send Stereo PCM. So I really don't know what's going on.

This seems like something that people would notice (YouTube and Roku are both very common), so I'm guessing this only happens in the pass-through configuration which might be rare (most people may use ARC from their TV). Does this imply anything useful?

0 Likes
amp2
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

I checked something and YouTube is Stereo PCM both before and after the video starts. So there isn't a format change. I mean there could be a few frames without audio or a reconfiguration. But taking time to setup Stereo PCM seems extremely unlikely especially if the input was Stereo PCM immediately before any discontinuity in the input stream.

This is really weird.

0 Likes
Solution
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Home Theater

I would recommend calling our remote management team to get further support, you can reach them by calling in directly at 1 (800) 726-7864 and asking for them. 

amp2
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

I have a Q990C and it plays great audio, but doesn't actually start outputting sound until about a second after the input starts. This I think this happens any time the input format changes (e.g., 5.1 to stereo). The video does not change or cut out and this happens when starting to play content (like a youtube video) from either a computer or Roku. My setup uses HDMI passthrough (input devices are plugged into the soundbar and my projector plugged into the output). I have tried all the modes I can find through the app and remote.

Has anyone encountered this or know something that might help understand it?

OoYORIoO
Sun
Options
Home Theater
@amp2

Thank you for using the Samsung Member's Community. I'd be pleased to assist you with your Samsung Televison and Sounbar. I'd like to suggest that you perform some additional troubleshooting steps.

1. Turn off the Samsung soundbar and remove the power switch from the main source.
2. Leave it like this for around 30 seconds.
3. Next, plug the switch back into the power source.
4. Finally, Turn the soundbar back on

You can also perform a "Hard Reset on your Samsung Q990C Soundbar. Please follow these steps:

Turn on the Samsung soundbar if it’s not switched on already.
Now, press and hold the Volume up and Volume down buttons simultaneously for about 5-10 seconds until the screen on the soundbar shows INIT.
It shows that the resetting process has started.
Wait until the screen shows “OK.”
Now, turn off your Samsung soundbar and then turn it on again, and VOILA, you’ve successfully reset your Samsung Soundbar.

Additionally you can also contact Samsung Customer Care at: 1-800-SAMSUNG

You can find Support Information from Samsung's website here:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/

Enter the model information for both your Samsung Television and Samsung Soundbar. Samsung has an extensive knowledge base through their website. Additionally you can also perform a search on the Samsung Member's Community in the search bar for further information and potential fixes that may have been suggested.

Thank you for using the Samsung Member's Community. Thank you!