cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Surround sound question from an ultra beginner

I'm interested in getting a cheap-ish surround sound system to go with my Samsung UHD JS8500 and Xbox One S (plus a few other gaming systems). I'm really just looking for audio, so if passing video through a receiver could be avoided, I'd love that (plus, finding 4k and HDR support in a receiver sounds really expensive). Having all of my gaming systems plugged into the tv directly just seems so much simpler (but maybe it isn't? I dont know!).

I'm looking at the Samsung HT-J5500W 5.1 blu-ray home theater system. I don't care about the blu-ray player at all. The Xbox is where I play blu-rays. I just like that it has wireless satellite speakers. And I don't really have room on the tv console for a full sound bar because of the Kinect, but I can make a small center speaker work.

So, my question is, if my configuration goes Xbox (and the other systems) -> TV via HDMI, and then TV -> theater system via optical cable (that's the only input option), will I still get full 5.1 surround sound? I had this configuration with a cable box, older LED tv, and panasonic home theater system (that recently died) and it never really sounded like true 5.1 surround sound, so I'm trying to make sure I do it right this time.

Thanks in advance!