Original topic:

The Lack of Multichannel LPCM Support on Samsung Q950T/Q900T is unacceptable

(Topic created on: 12/28/20 6:49 AM)
Rivdoric
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

I bought this soundbar and an x900h sony tv to play PS4/PC games as well as UHD movies.I didn't expect LPCM not to be supported because it's been present in consoles & PC for years.... It was as obvious as AC3 for me and i only checked if Atmos/DTS:X was okay.However because of that problem, i now have a soundbar that is a 1500$ 2.1 system more than half of the time :

• No Multichannel LPCM for PC

• No Multichannel LPCM for PS4 and more importantly : PS5

• No Multichannel LPCM for specific situations where DTSHD/TrueHD passthrough is not supported by apps and needs to convert the signal into... yeah you guessed.... LPCM.

So far, i'm really torn between keeping it and returning.I didn't expect a 2020 soundbar, being sold as "high definition gaming" not decoding the most used audio format in the industry.

This is a real disappointment and absolutely not normal, Q90r and previous soundbars supported it. How is a 2020 high end product not compatible with a format used by consoles released in 2013 ?

The newly released PS5 uses Multichannel LPCM as well, which means the Q950/Q900T models are not compatible with lossless audio gaming.

Apple TV also heavily relies on multichannel LPCM.

Nice move Samsung.

There's been several complains in avforums/avsforums/Reddit but so far no answers from Samsung.

I don't expect Samsung to suddently answer, but i think we need to talk about it so we can finally have a fix.

Thank you.

2 Replies
userFnD0BosZQD
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

Samsung, any update plans to correct this? 

0 Likes
Rivdoric
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

No answers from them so far.

We are a lot asking for this on avforum/avsforum.

We also contacted them via support.

No answers at all.

0 Likes