cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

UBD-K8500 Firmware Update Failure

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The current firmware installed on the player is 1009.  The downloadable version number on the website is 1009.1.

When using the network, the player states the most current version is already installed.  When downloading the zip file and then copying the unzipped B-HAWKAVWWC folder to a usb stick, the player states there are no valid update files found on the usb device.  Where is the error?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: UBD-K8500 Firmware Update Failure

JUMP TO SOLUTION

For the full version number, please go to Menu>Support>Contact Samsung. If the Software Version listed there matches what is available for download on the website, the device will not recognize it as an update.

If the website does have a newer version, download it. When the download is done, unzip the zip archive to your computer.

You should have a single folder with the same name as the zip file.

Copy the folder to the top level folder of a USB flash drive.

Make sure no disc is inserted in the product, and then insert the USB flash drive into the USB port of the product.

In the product’s menu, go to Settings > Support > Software Update.

Select Update now.

The product searches for the software on the USB drive. When it finds the software, the Update Request pop-up appears.

Select OK. The product upgrades the software, turns off, and then turns on automatically

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Well...

Is the firmware version that can be downloaded on the US site misslabled?  The usb stick needs to be formatted in FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, or does not matter?  The version showing on the player does not display decimal values?  The files within the unzipped B-HAWKAVWWC folder is what only should be copied to the usb stick?  Why is the player not updating the firmware?

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am having the exact same issue. Mine is formatted FAT32 but it says there are no files on it.  I did notice the unzipped name is upgrade.msd but the instructions from Samsung say it is supposed to be a .RUF file (whatever that is).  I haven't tried just renaming the file as I'm doing it over my network right now and will see if that finishes correctly this time.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You were able to get further along.  Did not know it needed to be a RUF file.  Where was this information found?  The instructions found on the US website only points one to the downloadable file.  Looking forward to hear the result.  If all it takes is renaming the file extension to RUF, then easily done.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Not even a moderator has an answer?  Can a moderator please confirm that the update file should either have an .ruf or a .msd extension.  If the update file should have an .ruf extension, the one on the us website has a .msd extension.

Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I've tried both extensions and the usb port would not recognize either one.  Formatted fat32 and the usb port keeps saying no files found.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

For the full version number, please go to Menu>Support>Contact Samsung. If the Software Version listed there matches what is available for download on the website, the device will not recognize it as an update.

If the website does have a newer version, download it. When the download is done, unzip the zip archive to your computer.

You should have a single folder with the same name as the zip file.

Copy the folder to the top level folder of a USB flash drive.

Make sure no disc is inserted in the product, and then insert the USB flash drive into the USB port of the product.

In the product’s menu, go to Settings > Support > Software Update.

Select Update now.

The product searches for the software on the USB drive. When it finds the software, the Update Request pop-up appears.

Select OK. The product upgrades the software, turns off, and then turns on automatically

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you for the other place to check the firmware version.  For continuity and to lessen confusion, the version number displayed under Software Update should be the same version displayed under Contact Samsung.  Who would bother to check the firmware version under Contact Samsung when a version number is displayed just by highlighting the Software Update option.  It is not effiecent to have to have two different names representing the same version.  Thank you for clearing this up.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

No problem. Most of our updates are completely different integers, it is very rare that you would see an update that said 1009.2, it will most likely be 1010 or higher.